Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Idea over first opponents at new stadium

gazzaa2

Feb 28, 2009
How about Doncaster?

The were the last opponents at the Goldstone, around the time in the late 90s that both clubs looked set for not only non-league (Doncaster were relegated to non-league a year later, Brighton just about survived) but oblivion. And potentially no home and no club.

With Doncaster now in their own multi-purpose, new stadium in Doncaster and going great in the Championship, wouldn't a game to open the stadium against them next summer be a great way to show how both clubs have survived, progressed and finally come out of the other side after being ruined by crooks?

A 20,000 crowd at Falmer for Brighton against Championship Doncaster to open the new stadium would have been seen as a pipe-dream back in 97/98.

gazzaa2

Feb 28, 2009
Oh please stop this Doncaster love in. I want a decent size club.

Sorry, haven't seen previous threads about it. I just think it'd be a great and romantic way to open the stadium.

Would a game against a Premiership reserve side be a better way to open it?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I know Manchester City have agreed to play us, but there was a rumour (source: NSC) that the board had approached an even bigger team to play us.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
Sorry, haven't seen previous threads about it. I just think it'd be a great and romantic way to open the stadium.

Would a game against a Premiership reserve side be a better way to open it?

Away end holds 2500 can you see Doncaster bringing more then 500? No chance.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I know Manchester City have agreed to play us, but there was a rumour (source: NSC) that the board had approached an even bigger team to play us.

Doncaster it is then :lolol:

scarby

Feb 16, 2004
wellingborough
although i see the sentimental point of having doncaster as the first opponents, it's not really a crowd puller is it?

the next generation or lost generation of brighton kids will want to see a 'big' club at the amex (no disrespect to donny). as would many brighton fans who have seen brighton play just about every lower league club.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
how about three teams we have met at key points in our history?

Villa- opponents in our charity shield win of 1910

Man U- fa cup final opponents

Doncaster- see other posts

there's already the emirates cup, why not the Amex cup?

gazzaa2

Feb 28, 2009
how about three teams we have met at key points in our history?

Villa- opponents in our charity shield win of 1910

Man U- fa cup final opponents

Doncaster- see other posts

there's already the emirates cup, why not the Amex cup?

Good shout.

stu7878

mid air general
Oct 9, 2008
although i see the sentimental point of having doncaster as the first opponents, it's not really a crowd puller is it? the next generation or lost generation of brighton kids will want to see a 'big' club at the amex (no disrespect to donny). as would many brighton fans who have seen brighton play just about every lower league club.

WHo needs a crowd puller? I'm not sure they will struggle to sell out whoever the opposition is.

Doncaster for me.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I vote for this lot.

naked_women_soccer_team.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here