Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ID Cards

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The trouble is that this Bill is being discussed in Parliament NOW. Everybody, should have a careful think about what they think about this issue, and if they have concerns they should take them up with their MP. I have.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Seasider said:
Whats the problem if you have nothing to hide

...is the standard argument dragged out all the time

Would you want the police to install CCTV in your house? Because if you have "nothing to hide" you have nothing to fear, do you?

Theres a concept of "privacy". The UK national ID card system destroys it.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thank you MYOB, and for that very reason I will be taking up my option of an Irish passport/Nationality the day that ID cards are introduced.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Does anyone really think ID cards would have stopped the London Bombings?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No, the people who bombed London were British Citizens, they had the right to be here. I cannot see how ID cards could have stopped them in any way at all, if we had been talking about foreign nationals bombing London then the argument would have been that greater controls at their port of entry may have identified them as potential terrorists, but only if they had already given cause for concern elsewhere.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Driving licenses work just fine, why not make everyone get them? Besides, they only cost £30 or so don't they?

I will not get one until forced to, I'm all for better security for all of us blah blah, but I dont see why I should pay for this ON TOP of tax.

:angry:

Reasons why I am not too worried:-

1. I have immense confidence in the ability of the IT industry to f*** up the management of the database;

2. The state already has access to pretty much any information it wants about citizens it is suspicious of;

3. Nobody cares (not even me) about my shopping habits.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Reasons why I am not too worried:-

1. I have immense confidence in the ability of the IT industry to f*** up the management of the database;

Probably the reason why the Government won't discuss the costs in any detail.

2. The state already has access to pretty much any information it wants about citizens it is suspicious of;

So why are they so insistent that they need more for our own safety? I feel perfectly safe already thanks very much.

3. Nobody cares (not even me) about my shopping habits.

Ah, but they might want to know exactly what you are doing with your money instead of buying razors...

Lord Bracknell said:
Curious Orange said:
So why are they so insistent that they need more for our own safety?
Because they want us to believe that they don't have this information already.

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Because they want us to believe that they don't have information already.

Exactly what I thought. They could quite happily make a better job of knowing the information they already have without bothering us at all. Of course the massively expensive and difficult IT consolidation job would have to be paid for out of taxes..., and that Data Protection Act thing is a bit irritating too. I know lets have a national ID scheme, then we don't have to raise taxes and can circumvent that annoying bit of legislation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here