Votes: 17 43.6%
  • The Match To Be Off Due To A Bizarre Gardening Accident

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’m not sure it’s a great precedent to set that a batter is forced to be either timed out or face a delivery with a broken helmet. It might not matter much with Shakib bowling but Bumrah or Wood bowling could get very nasty.

I wonder if the rules will be tweaked as a result of this.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Worth bearing in mind that Shakib Al Hasan has a well earned reputation for being an arse.

Indeed, was just reading this

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From what I've just read, I don't think Bangladesh were even required to "appeal" as such. The rule in the rule book is clear, and doesn't include allowances for broken equipment. Mathews was already pretty much timed out before the strap broke in the first place, so he'd taken his sweet time about getting out there.
That is not the impression I got at all. It was suggested that not only did it require the Bangladesh captain to appeal - but that also after Matthews protestations, the umpires gave them the opportunity to withdraw that appeal, before sending him on his way.

I can see zero justification for following it through - none whatsoever. He may well have taken too long (10 seconds too long? 30 seconds? - in an all day game where both fielding and batting sides help themselves to regular unscheduled drinks breaks lasting considerably longer) but ask the umpires to hurry him up if it bothers you that much. Is it really worth damaging your own reputation and that of your team / nation, with such a lack of sportsmanship?

Poor.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Indeed, was just reading this

Very much where I got that video from.
There's an amusing article I remember reading somewhere which is basically just a list of the times Shakib Al Hasan has behaved like a knob, which unfortunately I can't find. But it says something that I can't find it because there are so many different articles listing all the times he's been fined or banned for arguing with umpires, the opposition, crowds or not reporting approaches from bookmakers.
Absolute prize knobend.
Who, incidentally, is out of Bangladesh's remaining games with a broken finger he suffered while batting yesterday.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
How was that last ball not a wide ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
He only got a three match ban for that. Blimey, if that had been here.
The original article I read about him (that I refer to in my later post and can no longer find) basically said the Bangladesh Cricket Board let him get away with horrible behaviour because he's their best and most valuable player.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd love to see Zadran as an overseas player at Sussex. Awesome in all formats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here