Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ibrahimovich/Eto'o weirdness

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Chappers is being deliberately difficult again. I may have to use statistics to prove his 5--a-side team are far better without him in goal.

Yes but there's far less f***ing swearing too, which can only be a bad thing.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Because he did it at 3 different clubs in 3 different countries. David May has a Championship and Champion League winners medal with ManU, showing that average players can be in the right place at the right time. But the didn't do it again at a different club in a different country. Twice.

The Ibrahimovic doubters have arisen because he hasn't performed too well against English clubs and our national side. No-one who watches a lot of Italian football would doubt his quality. Then again a lot of the English media did decide that Messi was average when he didn't perform against Chelsea last season, so anything's possible.

It is hard to take anything you say too seriously after you dismissed all the England players as shit because we failed to make Euro 2008. Exactly the same set of players who have just qualified for the World Cup with some brilliant performances.

Having said all that you generally talk an awful lot of sense on almost every other subject on here, which - added to the fact that you are SuperHans - confuses the living shit out of me and rocks my ENTIRE beliefs system to its core.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Y'know what, i do actually think Messi is pretty average, and is made to look good in that 2 team league.
Stick him in the Premiership and he wouldn't have a clue.
Same goes for the likes of Kaka, Benzema, Ribery and all the other overrated players kids are obsessed with because they are good on Fifa.

You're a man who believes that football begins and ends with the English leagues. Messi scored a hat-trick against Real Madrid not that long ago, which rather puts paid to your "2 team league" theory.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
It is hard to take anything you say too seriously after you dismissed all the England players as shit because we failed to make Euro 2008. Exactly the same set of players who have just qualified for the World Cup with some brilliant performances.

Having said all that you generally talk an awful lot of sense on almost every other subject on here, which - added to the fact that you are SuperHans - confuses the living shit out of me and rocks my ENTIRE beliefs system to its core.

Blimey, did I say they were shit? May have been hyperbole, what I probably meant to say was that they're not nearly as good as they think they are. And seeing as they think they're Brazil circa 1970 that's hardly surprising.

Anyways, I hardly think I've been proved wrong by the fact that they've put in some good performances against the likes of Andorra, Kazakhstan and Belarus.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Yeah but maybe they are on to something?

In my time on NSC, I have argued with fascists, homophobes and a man who thinks that Steve Coppell is a poor manager and Kuipers a great keeper - enemies of reason the lot of 'em, but still I argued. I will draw the line here though. I will NOT even entertain the idea of arguing about whether Lionel Messi is any good. Pah!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
im guessing you didnt watch a single game from last year in la liga then.... Messi was world class..............

I watch a lot of La Liga stuff, and to me, Messi is nowhere near as good as Ronaldo or Torres for instance. All these goals he scores are against teams that are of the standard of an English pub league side.
That division is so weak compared to the EPL. Messi doesn't have the physical presence to play in the best league in the world.
So he isn't the best player in the world.

Stick him out on a Tuesday night in January away at Burnley or Stoke, then we'll see how world class he is.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I watch a lot of La Liga stuff, and to me, Messi is nowhere near as good as Ronaldo or Torres for instance. All these goals he scores are against teams that are of the standard of an English pub league side.
That division is so weak compared to the EPL. Messi doesn't have the physical presence to play in the best league in the world.

Stick him out on a Tuesday night in January away at Burnley or Stoke, then we'll see how world class he is.

You can't talk about physical presence as a deciding factor and then cite Ronaldo, who falls over anytime someone breathes on him a bit hard, as someone better than Messi.

For me though, as class as Messi clearly is to anyone with two functioning eyes in the front of their head, the best player in the world today is this man:

xavi.jpg

Oct 25, 2003

:dasreich::dasreich::dasreich:

oh, and once you get past the top 6 or so, the 'epl' is pretty average. a good testement to this is that considering the 'epl' is supposed to be by far the best league on earth, how poorly the 'second string' (the likes of villa, everton, spurs etc.) have performed in the uefa cup/europa league/whatever in the last 10 years or so

our top teams are the strongest 'unit' of any league (maybe because they are consistently all qualifying for the champions league as a unit, whereas the 4 from spain and italy change) but outside that you don't have to dig very deep to discover mediocrity

Oct 25, 2003
although i agree with frutos in that i believe that the iniesta/xavi partnership is far more important to barcelona than messi (even though messi is incredible)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd say in Iniesta, Xavi, Messi, Ibrahamovic, Puyol and Henry Barca have more 'great' players than the whole of the premiership at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here