Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Wright " it's ok to cheat..." a disgrace

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Ian Wright was a player many fans could relate to; entering the game late, he had terrific skills, scored some dream goals and even though he played for Palace I could never hate him. In fact when he moved to Arsenal he was one of my favourite players. But last night when he said it's ok for players to dive commenting on Gerrard's "penalty" that made me very angry. I'm sorry it is not ok for players to dive: that is CHEATING and is dragging the game down. And his pitiful justification that because others do it we should follow suit made me sick. Shame on BBC sport, Lineker, Hansen et al who didn't even bother to challenge him over this. Lazy, clubby, sports journalism at its worst.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I totally agree and was shocked at his comments.

Dropped him down a fair way on my "gentleman footballer" table, and I was surprised that Lineker let him get away with it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Agree, except I didn't think Gerrard dived.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I dunno, everyone else cheats and include it as part of the game. Now I would love a game where nobody dived/cheated but it isnt going to happen, so I say we should do it ourselves or we go into every game with a big disadvantage.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Commander said:
Agree, except I didn't think Gerrard dived.

No contact was made when he started to go over. I hate cheating.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
basically he is like us and a supporter, i think he was more of less saying of we cheat its ok but if other teams its wrong

I whole heartedly agree and hope we cheat our way to the World cup final

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
He certainly went down very easily.

I always find it amusing when some people make out it's only the foreign players who dive, or when Arsenal were in Europe, it was always their foreign opponents.

Let's face it, we have some of the worst divers around. Contact or not Gerrard had already decided he was hitting the deck. Joe Cole is dreadful, so is Ashley Cole at times, and Beckham throws himself parallel whenever anyone comes near him.

Diving is a disgrace, and we are as guilty as anyone.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
What do you expect from that Palarse scum? He probably thinks that everyone does it, 'cos that is how he learned to play at Scumhurst. :censored:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
A think twat?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The penalty incident was one of those where it's impossible to tell on the telly whether there was slight contact. When it happened live I certainly thought it was a stonewall penalty.

However I have to agree with the comments above re Ian Wright. He is a disgrace to the BBC and an ignorant arse. He should know lots of kids are watching, so to condone cheating sets a very poor example.

I also find his "Yeah man!" and "You know what I mean?" at the end of every sentence extremely irksome.

He's only on our screens for 2 reasons, and both of those are bad:

1. To appeal to the chav viewer element and
2. Quota.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least Crooks has a brain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here