Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Huntley.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:facepalm:

Watching last week's question time, the ultra conservative historian said one good thing amidst the embarrsassing biased tirade that made up the rest of his involvement in the show. he cited the Norwegian example and wondered why in our own culture we are not able to create an environment which seeks to lessen death and torure rather than just punish it with more of the same. I think this entry shows how right he was.

Dont get me wrong people like Huntley need to be dealt with but applauding an eye for an eye and pormoting it in our culture makes us all savages. the seed is in us all.

Spot on.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I'm with US on this. Killers should live the rest of their lives regretting what they done. The death penalty wouldn't give that. Also, how many convicted murderers have been pardoned in the last 20 years? Only 2 or 3, but surely that is 2 or 3 too many. If we kill someone and realise we are wrong, as a society we are just as guilty regardless of how rare the occurance.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would say that keeping him alive and in constant fear is far better than hanging him. Knowing that he with never be safe might make him realsie just what his victims felt. Sorry if it sounds save but I think keeping him alive and making him suffer is a much better idea.

Stumpy Tim

Funny how the usual "evil" people are wheeled out when this kind of thing happens, and yet the WORLDs worst ever serial killer is never mentioned. Shipman killed more than all of these people put together & he really is forgotten

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Do you suggest some killers are hung and others are not depending on how much society values the life that was taken ?. Interesting but unworkable. Surely all killers are " scum " based on a society that wants retribution and an eye for an eye. I am very much unconvinced however that all killers are evil or scum and that there is a serious link between murder and mental illness that has not been addressed. Of course it is much easier for society to say " hang them high " than to actually look at the reasons for the killing.

No, this thread is about Ian Huntley, and all my comments and personal opinions, are relating to him.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Are people born evil. I think not. Everyone has a story, everyone has a reason for the person they become. Huntley is he evil or sick, mentally unwell. Clearly for me he is mentally ill and a sick Man, he must be to do what he did. How do we treat this obomination of a human being ?. And that is the nub of it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Anyone know how much Mr. Huntley is costing the state for his incarceration....?

Would it be enough money, that might be better used to save a life elsewhere...?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Clearly for me he is mentally ill and a sick Man, he must be to do what he did. How do we treat this obomination of a human being ?. And that is the nub of it.

I fully agree with you.....he must be mentally ill........and in great pain.

If this is the case, surely, it would be a human kindness to end his suffering and torment, by putting him out of his misery..........i.e.............kill him humanely.

Stumpy Tim

I'm with US on this. Killers should live the rest of their lives regretting what they done. The death penalty wouldn't give that. Also, how many convicted murderers have been pardoned in the last 20 years? Only 2 or 3, but surely that is 2 or 3 too many. If we kill someone and realise we are wrong, as a society we are just as guilty regardless of how rare the occurance.

Don't forget the Guildford & Birmingham IRA bombers - who weren't IRA bombers after all

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
they had something to do with it, the police over egged the pudding as usual.
We'll never know. In one of those cases, there were people convicted who swear blind they had nothing whatsoever to do with the bombings.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I wish every unhappiness and suffering on Huntley and APPLAUD the actions of his fellow inmate. Huntley and his like should be removed from the gene pool, no question.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There is and always will be sick individuals in society and tragic events like these type of murders will happen periodically. There is, in my opinion nothing that can be done to people like Huntley that will repair the damage they have done. Nothing that would give solace to the families he devastated. He is undoubtedly mentally ill the question is what is the appropriate treatment for such an individual? My belief is that however mentally ill he is, the crime suprecedes any illness he may have. I don't believe in the death penalty. Certaionly it is not a deterrant for such crimes or the US would have almost zero murder rate. Besides, the people who commit these crimes simply do not have any regard for the consequences at the time of the crime.

If you have the opinion that Death penalty is wrong then we simply have no choice but to lock him up for life. He doesn't deserve treatment or rehabilitation, his crime is such that he forfeits any right to understanding or compassion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Huntley,Whiting,Venables,Thomson,Brady ,West,Suttcliffe should all be hanged!

Funny how the usual "evil" people are wheeled out when this kind of thing happens, and yet the WORLDs worst ever serial killer is never mentioned. Shipman killed more than all of these people put together & he really is forgotten

West and Shipman are already dead having topped themselves.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Just remember that for another prisoner to get anywhere near him they must have done something pretty bad as well :eek:
most in these wings have done something objectionable its a bit like cannibalism

The bloke that attacked him is reported to be a rapist.

see what I mean he might have done something a lot worse than Huntley smacks a bit like jealousy or "you've stolen my limelight"

Do you suggest some killers are hung and others are not depending on how much society values the life that was taken ?. Interesting but unworkable. Surely all killers are " scum " based on a society that wants retribution and an eye for an eye. I am very much unconvinced however that all killers are evil or scum and that there is a serious link between murder and mental illness that has not been addressed. Of course it is much easier for society to say " hang them high " than to actually look at the reasons for the killing.

exactly right .......but I have met some killers that have killed for a reason that you and I might have killed for .........some of which I would willingly have a pint with

:facepalm:

Watching last week's question time, the ultra conservative historian said one good thing amidst the embarrsassing biased tirade that made up the rest of his involvement in the show. he cited the Norwegian example and wondered why in our own culture we are not able to create an environment which seeks to lessen death and torure rather than just punish it with more of the same. I think this entry shows how right he was.

Dont get me wrong people like Huntley need to be dealt with but applauding an eye for an eye and pormoting it in our culture makes us all savages. the seed is in us all.

right again and second para proves what I said in the last entry

Don't forget the Guildford & Birmingham IRA bombers - who weren't IRA bombers after all

because there was never any proof

they had something to do with it, the police over egged the pudding as usual.
yea they had something to do with it alright ...they were Irish and handy

when I first heard about this attack my thoughts were that the person who made the attack was probably as bad if not worse than Huntley and whatever happens in these wings really should not be of any interest to us the general public.
these notorious killers and rapists/child molesters are exactly that because you hear about their terrible crimes ................but how many of these sort of crimes kept out of the media and believe me when I say there are far worse than those you hear about.
the Prison Service has not changed much since I left it your job is to keep them in and alive( having to cut down some poor mortal who decided otherwise is not a nice thing to have to do) to serve their sentences, education and the like comes from others, although working with prisoners you can show there is a better path, a lot I personally worked with came under the category of "there but for the grace of god" some people will do most things to feed their family.

and just an aside my other half thought she would be clever and say that she could never kill another person under any circumstances until I gave her this senario
driving along a quiet lane you see your granddaughter being sexually assaulted at knife point you happen to have a gun in the glove compartment ......you know the rest.

I would say that keeping him alive and in constant fear is far better than hanging him. Knowing that he with never be safe might make him realsie just what his victims felt. Sorry if it sounds save but I think keeping him alive and making him suffer is a much better idea.

For the joys and living experiences he deprived from 2 innocents, it's not easy to disagree with that.
As a culture, we hope that good prevails over evil, therefore it's only for the ultimate good that any person can be shown the depth of their sins and be able to face them, be ashamed and repent. This is the aim of imprisonment, and an underlying ethic in religious teachings when addressing issues of good and evil.
He may have to face fear daily, and see that his own life is all he has - thus he might realise what he so mercilessly took from those little girls.

What is also debatable here, is the faith society may invest in the concept that in death, a man faces the ultimate judgment. Sending him or her to that judgment may be more swift and economical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here