Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Huntley,Tony Martin got it right.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
Course it was. Just because he wasn't being charged at with a knife doesn't mean he wasn't fearing for his life. Thanks to his prior dealings with the police, he felt he had no help in protecting himself, so was forced to do what he did. It was dark, he was disorientated, he had no idea what weapons they had and what they intended to do - he never went out to hurt anyone, they came for him. That anyone can claim he did anything wrong is astounding.

He was waiting on the stairs and when he shouted the bloke turned around and ran. He was shot in the back. The judge and jury found him guilty according to the law of the land.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Yorkie said:
No property is worth anyone's life.

Sorry, but my property is my property. If somebody breaks into my house I'll not think twice about smacking them with all my strength over their head with a frying pan.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yorkie said:
Try telling the law that. Murder is murder.
It wasn't self defence.
I'm not talking law, I'm talking morals. If someone has knowingly and willingly crossed that line, they should know that some people will be prepared to take the ultimate action to defend themselves and their property.

Its the burglar who has instigated those circumstances, not the householder who was minding his own business.

It might be against the law, but is it really morally wrong ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Virgo's Haircut said:
Sorry, but my property is my property. If somebody breaks into my house I'll not think twice about smacking them with all my strength over their head with a frying pan.

Has it ever happened to you? It did to me.

I heard a noise about 4.30am and thought it was one of my kids in the kitchen. I saw the light on. The burglar had left the back door open as an escape route. As I went down the stairs I called out 'Who's in the kitchen?'
The burglar ran out as fast as he could go and they drove off in a white van (I looked through the side window)
There was no way I could have got to anything to grab to hit or lash out with anything.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
If your kids were in the house whilst you were being burgled you'd do anything to protect them, and I know I'd choose their life over some burglar, no scum bag would get past me if that were the case.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Race said:
If your kids were in the house whilst you were being burgled you'd do anything to protect them, and I know I'd choose their life over some burglar, no scum bag would get past me if that were the case.

Most burglars wouldn't attempt to hurt anyone. They want to get in, nick something and get out as soon as possible.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:
The judge and jury found him guilty according to the law of the land.

Which was unforgivable. Whatever way you analyse it, you can't get away from the reality that if they hadn't been breaking into someone's home, no-one would have died. The real pity is that it wasn't Fearon.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't make it alright though Yorkie.

Last edited:

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
Yorkie said:
Has it ever happened to you? It did to me.

I heard a noise about 4.30am and thought it was one of my kids in the kitchen. I saw the light on. The burglar had left the back door open as an escape route. As I went down the stairs I called out 'Who's in the kitchen?'
The burglar ran out as fast as he could go and they drove off in a white van (I looked through the side window)
There was no way I could have got to anything to grab to hit or lash out with anything.

No it's not happened to me, and I hope it never does.

I think I'd actually want to make the person pay big time who broke into my house.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Repugnant Toad said:
Which was unforgivable. Whatever way you analyse it, you can't get away from the reality that if they hadn't been breaking into someone's home, no-one would have died. The real pity is that it wasn't Fearon.

Lobby your MP to get the law changed then.
Property can be replaced. Lives can't.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Yorkie said:
Most burglars wouldn't attempt to hurt anyone. They want to get in, nick something and get out as soon as possible.

Some do and some dont, and some dont work alone. When there is an intruder/s in your home, in the dark, you have no idea what his intentions would be.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Easy 10 said:
I'm not talking law, I'm talking morals. If someone has knowingly and willingly crossed that line, they should know that some people will be prepared to take the ultimate action to defend themselves and their property.

Its the burglar who has instigated those circumstances, not the householder who was minding his own business.

It might be against the law, but is it really morally wrong ?

I agree the burglar instigated the circumstances but is it morally right to take someone's life?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Yorkie said:

Property can be replaced. Lives can't.

Quite. But in the middle of the night, how can you tell if the scum in your house wants to steal your stuff or hurt your family? I'd rather make certain they couldn't do either than rely on the fact that most of them only want to run off with the DVD.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yorkie said:
I agree the burglar instigated the circumstances but is it morally right to take someone's life?
Intent is the grey area here. In Tony Martins case, did he actually intend to kill that kid ? Personally I can't say for sure if I'd have acted any differently. My intention would be to ensure mine and my familys absolute safety - in that situation, whether the wanker who decided to break into my home actually lives or dies would be VERY much 2nd on my agenda.

Last edited:

E

enigma

It's a shame the bloke died- but at the end of the day you have to accept if you're going to break into someone else's house you might find trouble. People should have the right to protect their house. How far that right goes is up to you.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
You do the crime,you pay the time? If a gun is used as defence so what if you weren't there,whats the problem?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Yorkie said:

Speaking from experience?!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Basically by the laws of the land he killed someone be it manslaughter, self-defence or whatever.

Killing someone is against the law.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I got burgled once and as well as money they took a letter that confirmed I would be out the house on Saturday night.

I cancelled the trip, turned all the lights out, left the back door unlocked and sat in the lounge with a pick axe handle.

Unfortunately no-one turned up - perhaps they couldn't read:glare:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here