Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian has asked me to put this on here. lat weeks column

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
HARTY - Ian Hart writes

05/10/06
“NOW is the winter of our discontent.”
A classic phrase that, sadly, could apply to Albion fans everywhere over the coming months.

I’ve never gone down the route of being a prophet of doom but, for the first time in many years, I am seriously worried about the fortunes of Brighton & Hove Albion.

My primary concern is the apparently dwindling fanbase since the post-1999 days of Withdean sell-outs.
The crowds this season have been very disappointing.
Barely 5,500 for the visit of Chesterfield last weekend — the smallest ever Saturday crowd in Withdean history — and Blackpool in town this Sunday: you wonder, with the game live on Sky TV, if the crowd could drop below that figure?

As P.T. Barnum famously said, “You can’t fool all of the people all of the time”.
Have the Albion public become tired of the limited facilities at Withdean, the lack of team funding and the endless delays over the Falmer stadium?

One F in Falmer.
Say it quickly enough times and you will get the message.

The latest development in the saga, with Lewes district council giving up the right to go to court and referring their application to Ruth Kelly for a decision, is being hailed as a famous victory for the Albion.

Well, experience has actually taught me to be cautious.
So for a start, Mr Knight, no victory speeches in front of Sky cameras on Sunday, please.

Because the “good” burghers of Lewes DC have not come down in the last shower.
They have taken this option because, I am sure, they still believe they can get the planning application rejected.

And if that happens, never mind the Winter of Discontent: you can add on spring, summer and autumn, as well.

On a positive note, I was pleased that Dean Wilkins has been appointed as Albion boss — but again disappointed the idea of a general manager to act as a buffer between the board and the dugout has been ruled out.

The chairman says he will mentor Wilkins; it somehow conjures up visions of a footballing Simon Cowell and, yet again, has me worried.
Is he going to end up picking, or trying to pick, the team?

Knight is a good man, he is an honest man and has done a lot for this club but, like a lot of football chairmen before him, he thinks he knows more than he probably does.
And in the current situation in which the club find themselves, that could actually work out to cause more harm than good.

We shall see.
In the short term, supporters can forget their armchairs and come to the game on Sunday.
There are tickets on sale from the office (01273 776992) and the fans can witness Dean Wilkins hopefully get the team back to winning ways.

Congratulations, Worthing United, on a famous cup win against Romford.
Who would have thought the Rebels would go out before the Mavericks?

So it’s on to Maidenhead a week on Saturday.
When will this rollercoaster end?
And how long before Paul Curtis and his boys qualify for some kind of civic recognition from the mayor?

It’s competition time again, and a night out for two with a chance to meet boxer Sugar Ray Leonard.
He comes to Sussex on Monday, October 16, at the Effingham Park Hotel in Crowborough.

I’ve got two tickets for dinner and a photo opportunity with a living legend up for grabs; just tell me, at which Olympic Games did Leonard win his gold medal?

Email your answer to harty@tiscali.co.uk.
The closing date is next Tuesday, October 10

Here is the link just incase you want:

http://www.worthingtoday.co.uk/mk4custompages/custompage.aspx?SectionID=11781

D

Deleted User X18H

So this apprears in the Worthing eqiuvilent of The Leader does it:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
For no other reason than mild curiosity, why didn't Harty just post it himself?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Because I was out working first thing and I'm not too hot on cut and paste etc.

London Irish requested me to put this on last night.

In answer to your question Hove B and B this appears in the Herald series, which includes the Worthing Herald, Littlehampton Gazette and Shoreham Herald, its not a free papaer and the weekly audited sales are around the 30,000 mark over all three titles.

Last edited:

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
Sorry if i by pass a football question BUT how do i get a ticket for the Sugar Ray Leonard bash without winning the competition ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
On the DK mentor issue - I am sure that this is the technicalities of transfers and dealing with agents/players/chairmen, rather than as you suggested - picking the team.

It would be great if Worthing United met Brighton in the 1st round! :clap2:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
hopkins said:
how do i get a ticket for the Sugar Ray Leonard bash

Possibly an unfortunate turn of phrase...:lolol:

Just keep your guard up and don't forget you jab...:)

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

Harty said:
Because I was out working first thing and I'm not too hot on cut and paste etc.

London Irish requested me to put this on last night.

In answer to your question Hove B and B this appears in the Herald series, which includes the Worthing Herald, Littlehampton Gazette and Shoreham Herald, its not a free papaer and the weekly audited sales are around the 30,000 mark over all three titles.
Thank you apprently I am first up on Saturday
as I was about to come through on Sunday when wrapped up
have a very valid piont though.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Thank you for the post Dave, it really sums up how most fans i talk to feel - but toned-down for the media!

WELL DONE HARTY! You still have your finger on the pulse of most true fans! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Dave , are you now a permanent fixture on the phone in + how come you got the gig ? You never answered me the other day . Just wondered like ?

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Harty said:

it's a great paper harty i've nothing but admiration for it: the vinegar never soaks through and it keeps the chips piping hot

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
London Irish actually asked for the article that DK responded back at Ian for pre season.

This is the wording that caused the debate:

'...............As for Knight, a season of change looks very much on the cards.
He no longer has a controlling interest in the club.
That now belongs to the Bloom family so he is chairman because somebody else wants him to be.
His critics would dub him a control freak.
I certainly wouldn’t go that far, but, then again, he’s the kind of person I don’t think is best suited to taking orders from within the boardroom.
It will be extremely hard for him to have to adhere to direct instructions, having run the club carte blanche for more than nine years.
Something may have to give and the Albion could find yet themselves with a new chairman at some point in the season.......'

The point that DK responded to at the fans forum and in the first programme of the season was that he had NEVER had a controlling interest in the club (a point that Harty had been corrected on through NSC prior to publication abeit that it may have been after the article was submitted).

Also, it was made clear that nobody had a controlling interest. i dont have the shareholding details to hand but I think that even combined, the Blooms dont have one. DK remained the biggest single shareholder.

DK felt that it was irresponsible (paraphrasing) for Ian to have written this when it was untrue, and could have been easily checked out. It was written and presented as a fact rather than an opinion.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Sorry Ade and thank you for re-producing the said column, having said that last weeks also raised a number of points which were brought to my attention, so people can read and make their own minds up.

Thanks to Ian, Dave and ROSM for all the various reproductions!

It is good to read Ian's column again and to know it's available online. I thought the Argus did make a mistake in getting rid of it, and it's interesting to note that all the replacements for it, the columns by Garry Nelson and Mike Ward, didn't last anywhere near as long as Ian's did.

Not really a great deal to argue with in last week's - just that I always find Ian a bit too pessimistic about our Falmer victory prospects. The dynamics have been changed by Prescott's initial decision, we are still very clear favourites - and I'm not sure Lewes do really think they will win, that their decision last week was more bowing to the inevitable in not wasting money than a clever tactical move - in fact the cleverness came from Martin Perry in arranging the earlier court hearing. Didn't I read on here that Neighbour himself predicted victory for us in an off-camera moment with Lord Bracknell?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here