Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart, for f***'S SAKE

Here's my twopenneth on the sponsored walk idea - I would be dead against it as sponsored events are for charities, not paying Leon Knight £3-4k a week. I for one couldn't justify asking people to sponsor me to pay someone's wages, especially wages that are way over the national average.

Don't get me wrong - I know how and why we need the money and to pay wages like that but, for me, sponsored events seem wholly inappropriate. Raffles, events, auctions - yes. Sponsored events - no.

That's just my gut instinct.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I'm actually more comfortable with the idea of fans coming up with creative ideas like sponsorship than I am with the idea of sitting back and leaving it to the club. Do that and you encourage a culture of being given instructions by the club which, as past events proved, was an extremely unhealthy state of afffairs.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I think the players should do some sponsored events

Guy Butters could do sponsored pie eating
Leon Knight could do sponsored diving as we'd get more out of that than goal scoring.
Ben Roberts could do Sponsored Juggling
Charlie Oatway could do a sponsored Love in with London Irish

any others?

roz said:
I'm actually more comfortable with the idea of fans coming up with creative ideas like sponsorship than I am with the idea of sitting back and leaving it to the club. Do that and you encourage a culture of being given instructions by the club which, as past events proved, was an extremely unhealthy state of afffairs.

I agree and I'm sure we can come up with plenty of ideas - I just have a mental block about sponsorship.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
The Great Cornholio said:
I agree and I'm sure we can come up with plenty of ideas - I just have a mental block about sponsorship.

Me too. I'm not sure that combining the march with sponsorship isn't just going to cause confusion and discourage anyone without sponsors. What's needed on the day is a huge turn-out which is why keeping things simple strikes me as best.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
gazwag said:
Listening on the way home last night I was particularly annoyed by the person who suggested that we give up on Falmer because it is too far from Brighton and the Directors would be ok as they would have their parking spaces right at the ground.

That was clearly no Brighton fan - it smacked of being a Falmer stooge who made up that he was a loyal fan. It sounded scripted and i'm convinced he was a NIMBY.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Shorty get a life, I arrived at the ground to be met by a number of people both connected and unconnected with the club giving me conflicting stories about the £50 hotel payment. It needed putting on air, because if the players had been made to pay rather than offering to I don't think it really does a lot for team morale, something which ultimatley will keep us up this season.
As it turned out Mr Perry stated they had offered and until we hear differently from the players first hand that will be the official line.

sadam

Jul 31, 2003
lewes
HARTY...they had a choice £50 hotel bill either pay it themselves or travel up in the morning, it was not players making a gesture it was the clubs ultimatum, if perry fibs about this what else is he fibbing about? (ask the players)

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So the club said, we won't waste good money on a hotel for the Reading game. If you want to go to a hotel and pay for it, then that's OK by us.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Exactly how far is Reading from Brighton ? Maybe 2 hours in a coach and in these times of financial prudence it would have been a collosal waste of money for a hotel stay in this case.
I'm with Martin Perry on this one, if they wanted the hotel stay then let them chip in for it and 50 quid is hardly likely to bankrupt any of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Voroshilov said:
Has someone hacked Ernest's login?
EXACTLY what I was thinking.
That was just so out of sync with him. I don't think I've EVER seen the words "I'm with Martin Perry on this one" in an Ernest post.

What a strange day.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
sadam said:
HARTY...they had a choice £50 hotel bill either pay it themselves or travel up in the morning, it was not players making a gesture it was the clubs ultimatum, if perry fibs about this what else is he fibbing about? (ask the players)

The club isn't their mum and dad it their employers.

The club has every right as their employers to tell its employees what expenses it will pay for and what they will be expected to pay.

If the players at that concerned they can claim it as an expense on their tax return

How many employers would pay for overnight accommodation for a meeting in the afternoon 100 miles away

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The Great Cornholio said:
Here's my twopenneth on the sponsored walk idea - I would be dead against it as sponsored events are for charities, not paying Leon Knight £3-4k a week. I for one couldn't justify asking people to sponsor me to pay someone's wages, especially wages that are way over the national average.

Don't get me wrong - I know how and why we need the money and to pay wages like that but, for me, sponsored events seem wholly inappropriate. Raffles, events, auctions - yes. Sponsored events - no.

That's just my gut instinct.

That's why myself (and others, I think) have suggested that the sponsored walk should be split, with say 75% of the money going to Save the Albion, and 25% going to a nominated worthy cause (eg: REMF or a children's hospital, etc). I agree that we may have trouble raising money to pay Leon's wages, but if we state clearly that the funds raised are going towards the legal costs of the public inquiry, then we should avoid that accusation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here