Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Hart Brighton and Hove Albion Legend

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Vulture I am flattered but I am not a legend but like thousands of other people someone who just loves this football club.
When I first met the owners of of Surf 107.2, now Juice, they told me from the outset they wanted to put Gulls Eye on the radio, this was re-iterated when I went to the BBC nearly 10 years ago. Somewhat of a surprise back then for a radio station who less than 4 years before had run a gardening programme on a Saturday afternoon instead of sport.
Some people might not like or agree with how the show is run, although the ratings might suggest differently as from the first show in August 1998 the post 5pm official rajar audience has gone from 18,000 to over 40,000. That's not just down to me, I'm part of a very hardworking team and all the time I enjoy doing what I do and the listener figures don't sink like the Belgrano I will continue.
I do however tire of the mob rule we sometimes get on NSC, it is a democracy and everyone is entitlied to their opinion.
Many people have stood up down the years for what they believe in when it comes to the Albion, one frequent poster on NSC went to prison for his passion of the Albion, and it does sometimes grate when certain people come on here preaching and shooting other people down, when to my knowledge I cannot remember these individuals in the real dark days of the mid 1990's.
That doesnt make them an less a fan but at times their attitude is a bit hard to swallow.
Will I ever get out of fanzine mode?
Well perhaps when we're at Falmer, top four of the Premiership and looking foward to my trip to Juventus in the quarter finals of the Champions League.

Cue the Uberfan tirade................

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He's alright isn't he.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
With all due respect to Mr. Hart, I don't think the term 'legend' (which is a stupidly overused word in general these days anyway) would be appropriate here.

People like Peter Ward are Albion legends, and to say that Ian Hart could compare to people of that ilk is just ridiculous IMO. I don't disagree that his contribution to the club should be respected and recognized, but a legend? Sorry, not for me.

Utter Rubbish. Harty has been a big part of this club far far longer than some player who gets paid to hang around for a few years and fcuk off at the first sniff of a bigger payday!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Utter Rubbish. Harty has been a big part of this club far far longer than some player who gets paid to hang around for a few years and fcuk off at the first sniff of a bigger payday!

So you're saying that Ian Hart is more deserving of the status of 'Brighton Legend' than Peter Ward, one of the greatest players and surely the greatest goalscorer that this football club has ever seen or likely will ever see?

As said before, I completely respect what Ian Hart and others mentioned in this thread did to help this club survive in the darkest times imaginable, but I think the word 'legend' is still inappropriate in his case.

In any case, if part of your basis for calling Harty a legend is that he's been around the club a long time, does that make Kerry Mayo a Brighton legend as well?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you not think Mayo worthy of it then?

For me, any player who plays 400 games for the Albion, and gives of their best in every one of them, is deserving of any title you wish to bestow on them.

*** pedant alert ***

Surely the word legend indicates something a long time in the past, almost certainly not in living memory, that may or may not have existed?

Although Peter Ward must come close. Maybe not the man himself because he is real (all of him except his knee, that is) but maybe some of the things he supposedly did.

And relax...........................

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Spot on Mayo is a legend for both his football and disco dancing...

:lol:

I can't comment on the disco dancing, but I can certainly admire Kerry's footballing contribution to the Albion, as HKFC said, giving his best in every game he's played in (I think we can excuse him the OG at Hereford).

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
When Barry Lloyd's team were relegated at Ipswich, he turned up as Elvis. Or have I imagined it?

Spot on Mona.

After a small fracas outside a Town Centre pub I was detained after unsucessfully appealling to get one of the Littlehampton lads relased from a Police van.
In a way its a shame it never went to court because when I was read my rights and the bit about anything you say etc....
I replied "You can't arrest me I'm the King of Rock N Roll!".
Thankfully my Gulls Eye compadre Mr Kennard videod the incident including the Ipswich copper telling me to "F**k off" three times when I was trying to find out what the lad from LA had actually done.
He showed it on playback to the Sup't on duty and the next minute I was Nelson Mandela.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
For some of you having a go at Harty.Let me remind you what he has done.He sold me as a school kid my first copy of gulls eye in 1988.He exposed the wankers that nearly killed our club and helped bring their downfall.He got us our phone in and has been doing it for 10 years(before that we had a report every 20 minutes during the game)also he does do a lot of good charity work most he keeps quiet about.
Some of you having a pop might wonder if you have done as much for the Albion as him.In my eyes a legend :drink::drink::whisky:

And so say all of us. :clap::clap:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Vulture I am flattered but I am not a legend but like thousands of other people someone who just loves this football club.
When I first met the owners of of Surf 107.2, now Juice, they told me from the outset they wanted to put Gulls Eye on the radio, this was re-iterated when I went to the BBC nearly 10 years ago. Somewhat of a surprise back then for a radio station who less than 4 years before had run a gardening programme on a Saturday afternoon instead of sport.
Some people might not like or agree with how the show is run, although the ratings might suggest differently as from the first show in August 1998 the post 5pm official rajar audience has gone from 18,000 to over 40,000. That's not just down to me, I'm part of a very hardworking team and all the time I enjoy doing what I do and the listener figures don't sink like the Belgrano I will continue.
I do however tire of the mob rule we sometimes get on NSC, it is a democracy and everyone is entitlied to their opinion.
Many people have stood up down the years for what they believe in when it comes to the Albion, one frequent poster on NSC went to prison for his passion of the Albion, and it does sometimes grate when certain people come on here preaching and shooting other people down, when to my knowledge I cannot remember these individuals in the real dark days of the mid 1990's.
That doesnt make them an less a fan but at times their attitude is a bit hard to swallow.
Will I ever get out of fanzine mode?
Well perhaps when we're at Falmer, top four of the Premiership and looking foward to my trip to Juventus in the quarter finals of the Champions League.

Cue the Uberfan tirade................

Spot on mate. You'll always be a legend in my and the gang of 8 I've been going to the Albion with all these years - especially because you printed my entry on the back cover of the last ever Goldstone game Golds Eye! "Don't cry for me, Billy Archer"! Though I do cringe at the re-writing of it now :D I'm no Evita, that's for sure!!!! Sure I've got a copy of it in the loft somewhere :albion2::albion2:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For some of you having a go at Harty.Let me remind you what he has done.He sold me as a school kid my first copy of gulls eye in 1988.He exposed the wankers that nearly killed our club and helped bring their downfall.He got us our phone in and has been doing it for 10 years(before that we had a report every 20 minutes during the game)also he does do a lot of good charity work most he keeps quiet about.
Some of you having a pop might wonder if you have done as much for the Albion as him.In my eyes a legend :drink::drink::whisky:

Spot on, m8...

The tall one

Banned
Jan 2, 2007
Harty is the best phone in host ever on Radio. Much better tha those guys on Talk radio and 5 Live. Anyway i think that his one liners are good and sometimes sum up teh situation very well.:ascarf:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Harty is a part of our history, although I do think 'legend' is a vastly over-used word and don't want to get into it further here, but his contribution was valued and appreciated by all.

However, I do think the phone-in (and SCR sport coverage in general) could be improved. Sorry to say but sometimes it's clumsy, old-fashioned (see Doris Stokes ref) and 'local', if yer know what I mean. It's not a polished gem and I'm not sure Harty is a natural (the wife can't stand his voice!) but it's OUR clumsy, old-fashioned rough cut stone and until such time as Alan Green or Adrian Chiles is available, it's far better than nothing.

Just wish the sometimes awkward flow, awkward pauses (never a great trait for radio) and numbers of bad quality callers could be eradicated!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here