Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Chapman

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Chapman: My heart told me to quit Seagulls
By Andy Naylor
Comment | Read Comments (4)
Ian Chapman followed his heart by quitting Albion.

The Seagulls stalwart felt resigning his post was the right thing to do following the removal of Dean Wilkins, the manager who brought him back to the club.

The Argus revealed on Tuesday that Chapman had given up his dual role as reserve team boss and first team coach after the demotion of Wilkins and re-appointment of Micky Adams.

Now the long-serving former leftback has broken his silence over the reasons for leaving the club which has been part of his life since a toddler.

Chapman said: "It was a massive decision. I have been watching the club since the age of five, when I used to go with my stepfather.

"Also, there are not loads of jobs out there but sometimes I feel you should follow the heart and do what you feel is right and that is what I have done.

"Dean Wilkins sold me something to come to the club and when that was removed it just didn't feel the same to me. I just felt it wasn't right, so therefore I have decided to move on."

Chapman admits he was shocked by the decision a fortnight ago to relegate Wilkins back to first team coach.

Wilkins has still not given an answer to Albion's offer but it seems increasingly likely that he, like Chapman, will move on.

Adams tried to persuade Chapman to stay but he felt a sense of loyalty to Wilkins and discomfort with the backroom upheaval.

"I thought we had a good season coming seventh, just one place out of the play-offs," Chapman said. "I know these things happen and there are no gripes with anyone.

"I spoke to Micky. I've known him over the years from when he was here before. When I've seen him I've had a beer with him and he's a nice bloke.

"He asked me to stay but I had made my mind up to move on. He didn't push me out of the door, no way. There was a job there for me but I just felt it wasn't for me."

Chapman is philosophical about lasting less than two full seasons in the backroom team after playing for Albion from 1986 to 1996.

The father-of-three, based in Woodingdean, is not the type to bear grudges and wants the Seagulls to fly high with Adams in his absence.

"He said: "In football it is about people's opinions and things change all the time. We did okay but you move on.

"I am disappointed, not with any people, but purely that we finished 18th the first season, were seventh this season and I felt we were improving.

"The disappointment is that the same set of backroom staff do not have that opportunity to take the club on but I have been in football long enough to know that is just the way it goes.

"Being a fan of the club, I am hoping the side does well. There is no animosity towards anyone. I really do hope that in two years time when the stadium is built the side will be playing in the Championship and eventually the Premier League. It is just over the hill and I will be able to take my kids along."

Chapman has left on amicable terms. A financial settlement gives him a bit of breathing space to consider his options.

He was manager of Whitehawk before Wilkins enlisted his help, initially on a part-time basis and then full-time since last summer.

The Sussex non-league circuit is probably where his immediate future lies and the phone has already been hot with offers and messages of support.

"I am going to have a month off now and go on holiday with the family," Chapman said. "I will be looking to get back into football.

"I've done the non-league stuff before and totally enjoyed it. Being realistic, that is more than likely at the moment the level I will return at.

"People out there know now I am available, so I will hopefully get some offers. I've already had a couple of phone calls to do bits of coaching.

"I'll sit down next month, have a think about things and go from there. My title at Albion has been reserve manager but I have also been first team coach because there wasn't one at the club.

"I have enjoyed both roles and I am quite happy either way but eventually I would like to be my own man, a manager somewhere again, because it's nice being in charge of everything."

Are you sad to see Ian Chapman go?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If he decided that his heart wasn't in the job, then I applaud him for making the decision to go rather than sticking around and making a half-arsed effort.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Top bloke :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a class act. No slagging, no whining.
Good luck to the fella. I wish him all the best.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Shows a lot of class that does, have met him a few times when he was Whitehawk manager and has always come across as a good bloke, Brighton legend is used all too often but here it is warranted.

D

Deleted member 2719

I am still so pissed off with Knight about what he has done(And i have always been pro knight and Adams) Chapman is a Top guy and i hope he will get a chance to return for us one day.

I feel for him as he was another Albion man - i really hope DK has got the decision of sacking Wilkins right not even time will tell cos Deano hasn't been given the chance to follow his excellent progress of this last season.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
na na na na na na na na na na na naaaaaa Chapmannnnn

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chapman: My heart told me to quit Seagulls
By Andy Naylor
Comment | Read Comments (4)
Ian Chapman followed his heart by quitting Albion.

"I've done the non-league stuff before and totally enjoyed it. Being realistic, that is more than likely at the moment the level I will return at.

"?

If he was good enough to be 1st team coach at the 7th placed club in league one, is it just me or does that seem to show a lack of ambition or is he just not very good at it and knows it?? How much input did he actually have this season and was he offered the same job or a demotion to stay on?.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Brighton through and through. As said above, no sniping and recriminations, no "advice" from agents, no bollocks, just a bloody good bloke sticking to his principles.

Good luck Chappers

deano seagulls

May 11, 2008
If he was good enough to be 1st team coach at the 7th placed club in league one, is it just me or does that seem to show a lack of ambition or is he just not very good at it and knows it?? How much input did he actually have this season and was he offered the same job or a demotion to stay on?.

He has left the club showing respect - Micky clearly didn't want him to go - Things have obviously gone on at the club - Chappers would not walk away otherwise and they have cleary been up to the job as the team have improved and finished 7th - perhaps the club should show him the same respect and give him a well deserved testimonial when we get to falmer

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ian Chapman - A Man of Honour And Integrity

As I was AWOL for 3 weeks I did not add to his thread so forgive me but I wanted to say although I was never a Wilkins fan, Chapman was a worthy addition to the club. Ian was always 100% committed as a player and showed 100% committment during his time by the dug outs. For me Chapman was the face of 2007/2008 directing matters as Wilkins stayed away in the stands.

How refreshing to see a Man stick to his principles and show honour and integrity even though working with Micky Adams must have been very tempting not to mention financially tempting.

Ian Chapman has taken time out to decide the REMF Man of the match in 2007 and 2008 and I am sure everyone will agree that Ian Chapman will always be invited to decide the REMF man of the match even though he is no longer with the Albion. I hope he continues to accept the invitation.

A great bloke and a credit to himself.

Chappers

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
As I was AWOL for 3 weeks I did not add to his thread so forgive me but I wanted to say although I was never a Wilkins fan, Chapman was a worthy addition to the club. Ian was always 100% committed as a player and showed 100% committment during his time by the dug outs. For me Chapman was the face of 2007/2008 directing matters as Wilkins stayed away in the stands.

How refreshing to see a Man stick to his principles and show honour and integrity even though working with Micky Adams must have been very tempting not to mention financially tempting.

Ian Chapman has taken time out to decide the REMF Man of the match in 2007 and 2008 and I am sure everyone will agree that Ian Chapman will always be invited to decide the REMF man of the match even though he is no longer with the Albion. I hope he continues to accept the invitation.

A great bloke and a credit to himself.

Chappers

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

All that you said Gareth.

I know Ian and his family well and they are all lovely people.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Max maybe Ian will hand you the man of the match trophy at REMF 8.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
beat Fatboy into submission

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here