Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Blair to quit as Met chief

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's not just a dig at the Tories - although I can only imagine what the reaction would be if a Labour government had proposed direct elections for Police Authority heads.

It's an expression of concern about the politicisation of the police. Do you really want, say, Manchester's overwhelmingly Labour voters going to the polls in support of a jumped up Labour Party hack's campaign to sack the city's top cop and replace him with someone who will be "more accountable to local people"?

Would that deliver better policing?

Do you want EVERY Chief Constable to be more concerned about what one local politician thinks than he is about doing something to keep crime down?

Some would say that the appointment of Blair was a political appointment and that he was a newLabour crony all along.

Certainly, Blair politicised his own role with support for 42 days detention, for his barely concealed contempt for Boris and his cosying alongside Ken. Ken admitted that he had spoken to Sir Ian only yesterday.

I think we're on dangerous territory if we start picking police chiefs on party lines. What next? Judges? So I have some sympathy for LB's position but I'd say that I think he had to go as he had become a liability and was making too many headlines for the wrong reasons. I'd also say that Blair is jumping ship now on a convenient excuse of Mayoral interference when it would appear that he would have had serious problems with a) the Menezes inquest and b) the inquiry into jobs for his mates. Bt that's just me guessing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Police036.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
:mexican::banana::cheers:

Should have fallen on his sword after the de Menezes instead displyed utter arrogance, how the hell did he get knighted???

I think, a knighthood is part of the job....some old protocol. Whilst I admit Blair precided over a very difficult period for the Met I really dont think he was up to the job. I had a lot of concerns over his leadership and I think he was too politiced for the job. The latter probably contributed to his downfall more than anything but he should have gone a long time ago.

Given the government appoint the head of the Met.....and Boris will not want to work with a Labour appointed commissioner I dread to think what will happen now. I understand Boris has said that he will install and acting leader until a Tory government is in place. I dont think he has the power to do this. The Met will probably now end up being a pawn in a political battle which is bad news for everyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree with all Tory policies

And here endeth any intelligent debate.

As for Sir Ian Blair, I don't live in London so cannot comment on his effectiveness. However, there have been media claims that he has politicised his position by aligning himself to the 42 detention debate and to ID cards. Well pardon me but are they not two policies that materially affect the way the Police are able to do their job so I would be disappointed if a senior Police officer didn't comment on whether he supported these.

As for Heseltine stupid comment about electing Police commissioners it beggars belief. That will make them even more political and they would spend more time campaigning than policing.

Maybe Blair had to go, I don't know, but the manner in which he has gone is what is of most concern.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
:mexican::banana::cheers:

Should have fallen on his sword after the de Menezes instead displyed utter arrogance, how the hell did he get knighted???

Agree. He was educated in America.

When the De Menezes case began, I was disgusted with 'sir' Ian Bliar, and his handling of the case and announcements since have only served to deepen my disdain right to the bottom of my gut.
He is a mirror image of Darryl Gates, the chief in Los Angeles when the Rodney King race-riot debacle was started purely by his wording and representation of his force. He was ousted, and this news is welcome too.

Worthless pieces of shit, riddance.

The only thing that remains to stick in my craw, is that he'll undoubtably receive a whacking payoff and retain full benefits and comforts.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Besides all this politics hit he was going to go sooner rather than later anyway.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If reports are correct tonight it would appear even Cameron has a problem with what Boris is up to.

Reports are also saying (as stated above) that Boris want to appoint a temporary head until a Tory home secretary is elected and there is talk of getting an American cop over to take the role..... Sorry Boris but you are aren't allowed to do that

The blokes a liability.

I'd also say that Blair is jumping ship now on a convenient excuse of Mayoral interference

Well Boris brought him into a meeting and said he should step down. After the Stockwell f*ck up, I'm no fan of Blair, but I'm not sure he's using Boris as an excuse, I'm not sure he a choice.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here