Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Blair to quit as Met chief

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I did. Thank you for the information. Not sure what I can do with it. But it is nice to know.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Hoo-f***ing-ray. At long, long last.

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
:mexican::banana::cheers:

Should have fallen on his sword after the de Menezes instead displyed utter arrogance, how the hell did he get knighted???

and the new Mayor wants to get rid of him

'Statement due' on Sir Ian Blair

The Met Police chief has been under fire on three fronts
A "significant" statement is expected later on the future of Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair, the BBC understands.

The announcement follows new newspaper reports on the use of public money to pay a close friend to advise him.

Sir Ian has previously rejected the suggestion he "behaved inappropriately" on the issue.

He has also faced criticism over the racism row involving the Met's most senior Asian officer Tarique Ghaffur.

There have been questions too about his handling of events surrounding the 2005 death of Jean Charles de Menezes, who was shot dead at Stockwell Underground station in south London after being mistaken for a suicide bomber.

Sir Ian has been commissioner since February 2005.

Last month, he was forced to deny newspaper reports that he is to be ousted from Scotland Yard when his contract expires in 2010.

Metropolitan Police Authority [MPA] auditors are in the process of examining Scotland Yard contracts given to consultancy firm Impact Plus, run by his friend.

Sir Ian has said he had been "open and straightforward in informing both the MPS [Metropolitan Police Service] and the MPA about my relationship with someone who was subsequently awarded a contract with the MPS".

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
In 2006, Blair was forced to apologise to the families of the Soham murder victims, Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman. He said "almost nobody" could understand why the disappearance of the girls, in August 2002, had dominated the news headlines and become "the biggest story in Britain".

Just found this on the guardian website. What a lovely bloke he must be!!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Boris Johnson formally took over as chairman of the Metropolitan Police Authority YESTERDAY. I would suggest there is probably a connection: the only people who ever stood up for Sir Ian Blair were Labour types.

Oh -- and how did he ever get knighted? ALL Met commissioners and deputy commissioners are knighted, by convention, a bit like high court judges. Ian Blair was deputy commissioner when he got his K.

Boris Johnson formally took over as chairman of the Metropolitan Police Authority YESTERDAY. I would suggest there is probably a connection: the only people who ever stood up for Sir Ian Blair were Labour types.

Oh -- and how did he ever get knighted? ALL Met commissioners and deputy commissioners are knighted, by convention, a bit like high court judges. Ian Blair was deputy commissioner when he got his K.

definately, Boris has not hidden his feelings about blair.

Blair is a liberal minded fellow.

Back to Soham, I agree with Blair as I have posted on here before, literally the same day 2 african children disapeared from Stratford, East London. The press were not interested.

The soham children frenzy meant the Government and POlice had to be seen doing something so unprecedented Police were shipped in, some from London.

LOcally in Stratford, the local POlice did not receive extra resources.

TV did not publish the story or their faces on the box, newspapers did not show their faces, the radio didn't cover the news.

They were black kids, from a poor background, they didn't wear the shirts of Man U.

If only 1% of the media resources used on the Soham twins could have used for them, it may have made a difference.

They were never found.

I assume they are dead.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
didn't Blair also try and prosecute Boris over an Iraqi cigarette lighter?

Don't think there's any love lost between the pair of them

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree he was slightly misrepresented on the Soham story, but there's been so much other crap attached to him lately that he can't have any credibility amongst Met officers.

Whether there's anything in the other issues surrounding him, I have no idea, but you can only go on so long before mud sticks and it begins to drag the rest of the force down.

About time he got over himself and jacked it in IMHO.

didn't Blair also try and prosecute Boris over an Iraqi cigarette lighter?

Don't think there's any love lost between the pair of them

One is a buffoon in power and the other is a powerful buffoon:lol:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
He comes across as a pompous, tactless, self-important buffoon. And he's just the kind of namby-pamby liberal that Sir John Stephens wasn't. But the neighbourhood policing scheme (a dedicated sergeant, two PCs and two PCSOs fo EVERY WARD in London) was pretty good. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have known that my local copper was called PC Eddie Izzard, for starters.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Gina gold has quit as Inspector at Sun Hill.

Will The Bill ever be the same?

The resignation was inevitable.

But the disturbing thing is the way the Tories seem intent on politicising senior police appointments. Boris has got rid of Blair. And tonight on Question Time, Heseltine is promising that the Tories will go for directly elected Heads of Police Authorities "to give local people a say".

I can only see that delivering us a divided and ineffective police force, with Chief Constables no longer commanding the respect of their own officers.

It's very worring.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The resignation was inevitable.

But the disturbing thing is the way the Tories seem intent on politicising senior police appointments. Boris has got rid of Blair. And tonight on Question Time, Heseltine is promising that the Tories will go for directly elected Heads of Police Authorities "to give local people a say".

I can only see that delivering us a divided and ineffective police force, with Chief Constables no longer commanding the respect of their own officers.

It's very worring.

Really LB another cheap dig at the Tories, keep going as the reds time is nearly up

Really LB another cheap dig at the Tories, keep going as the reds time is nearly up
It's not just a dig at the Tories - although I can only imagine what the reaction would be if a Labour government had proposed direct elections for Police Authority heads.

It's an expression of concern about the politicisation of the police. Do you really want, say, Manchester's overwhelmingly Labour voters going to the polls in support of a jumped up Labour Party hack's campaign to sack the city's top cop and replace him with someone who will be "more accountable to local people"?

Would that deliver better policing?

Do you want EVERY Chief Constable to be more concerned about what one local politician thinks than he is about doing something to keep crime down?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Such sour grapes LB, the red flag is being lowered at last and good news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here