Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I wouldn't want us to go up this season"

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd take a season of beasting if it payed off a large sum of our Stadium cost and helpsed to ensure us operating in a self financing way in the future.

My only worry is if we started buying past it has beens on massive wages. I'd rather get embaressed every week then chase staying in the Prem if we can't stay there within our means.

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
Will of couse take it but would feel a bit more comfortable with the idea if we had a year or two of consolidation in the Championship first.

Don't think an extra year or two in the championship would make much difference to the survival chances in the prem league.

Promotion-Relegation-Survival-Guide.jpg

Blue denotes survival, red a year spent in another division and green a return to the Premiership after relegation.

http://soccerlens.com/how-do-promoted-teams-fare-in-the-english-premier-league/77709/

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Me. I do not want us to go up and spend all next season getting thrashed (a la Liverpool) and fighting relegation.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
My concern is that the best we can realistically hope for in the future is to be a Bolton or a Stoke in the Premier League. Always lokoing over our shoulder at relegation, with the absolute most we can ever hope for being a 6th or 7th place finish and getting into the Europa league. And that would be in our wildest dreams.

My point is, that THESE are the good times, what is happening RIGHT NOW. Playing attractive football at the top of the Championship and putting teams to the sword at home, the excitement of the new stadium, sell-out crowds and the real belief that we are going places and that we are going to get promoted to the Premier League. If we go up this season, as fantastic as that would be, these current exciting times could be all too fleeting, as we slowly become a middle of the road Premier League team, who's only target at the start of each season is to avoid relegation.

That would be massive success in itself, and a credit to everybody at the club. But 2 or 3 seasons challenging at the top of the Championship and winning the majority of the games wouldn't do anybody any harm. These seasons will be the ones we look back on most fondly, in my opinion.

So in effect, it's the perfect situation. Go up this season, fantastic! Stay down this season, the good times last longer.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As long as when we come back down we do not become arrogant tossers who proclaim 'we belong in the premier league'

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Me. I do not want us to go up and spend all next season getting thrashed (a la Liverpool) and fighting relegation.

Really? I would have thought it would be right up your street, you'd be able to moan and post negative drivel after every game, not just every few weeks when we lose.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Although I would love to see us there I also worry we would just be thrashed every week and it would be depressing. On a selfish note I won't be able to afford a season ticket if we get promoted and I don't have sky so I would probably see alot less of us playing.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
We've got to go for it. So much could change between now and the beginning of next season even i.e Gus leaves

Norwich and Swansea have shown the way too.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
My concern is that the best we can realistically hope for in the future is to be a Bolton or a Stoke in the Premier League. Always lokoing over our shoulder at relegation, with the absolute most we can ever hope for being a 6th or 7th place finish and getting into the Europa league. And that would be in our wildest dreams.

My point is, that THESE are the good times, what is happening RIGHT NOW. Playing attractive football at the top of the Championship and putting teams to the sword at home, the excitement of the new stadium, sell-out crowds and the real belief that we are going places and that we are going to get promoted to the Premier League. If we go up this season, as fantastic as that would be, these current exciting times could be all too fleeting, as we slowly become a middle of the road Premier League team, who's only target at the start of each season is to avoid relegation.

That would be massive success in itself, and a credit to everybody at the club. But 2 or 3 seasons challenging at the top of the Championship and winning the majority of the games wouldn't do anybody any harm. These seasons will be the ones we look back on most fondly, in my opinion.

So in effect, it's the perfect situation. Go up this season, fantastic! Stay down this season, the good times last longer.

That is a wonderful post - sums up exactly how I feel.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Just financially would make anyone not wanting to get promoted mad... I wouldnt care if we went straight back down... as long as we used the millions wisely. Would only make us stronger come the next season...

The whole we arnt ready is bollox... do u think southampton will turn down the promotion... No and they arnt any better prepared than we are...

You cannot properly prepare for the prem.. its all about experience.. If we get promoted and then relegated that would be fine by me because in that one season we would have learnt more about the prem. That wealth of experience we would have learnt (along with the millions) will be far more valuable than another 5 season in the championship preparing for the prem.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I remember there was a couple of seasons where Billy Davies, when in charge of Forest, said "I think it would be better for us to not go up this season and build next season"

They are now in a relegation scrap.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Hopefully the good times keep coming!!!! Even 1 season in the Premier League would be good, a lot of extra money coming into the club and we get to play some good quality teams each week, yes we might be relegated straight away - but i wouldnt mind.

In the same way i wouldnt actually mind if we dont go up.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Life's too short and we may not get a better chance if the Championship continues to get stronger or if Gus left. Norwich and Swansea are good examples that they can survive comfortably in the Premier League.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
You have to take it if the opportunity comes along, althought it would be interesting to know how much season tickets would go up.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
As a fan you have to really hope and aim for the stars

IDEALLY we'd have a strong enough squad to fight in the Premiership before we got the opportunity to get there , we don't really , that's life

IF we go up it'll be a massive slog , IF we don't providing we don't let it hang over us , bring in the right players and create merry hell

it's a win-win

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Idiots. Worst case scenario at a club level is we get relegated by a huge amount and then get £35m parachute payments over the next three years giving us a massive boost to our chances of returning immediately despite the inevitable loss of Gus and some key players...

Best case scenario, we win the Prem, the FA Cup, the League Cup and Messi signs so he can learn from Vicente, compounded by Palace getting relegated by a Glenn Murray own goal on the last day of the season against Millwall...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here