Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I wonder were we would be now....

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
....had Steve Coppell taken up Bloom's offer last year.

Just a random thought I had today. Probably one of the best decisions Steve has ever made.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We wouldn't be top I don't think and somebody else would be reaping the rewards of riding the Gus Bus.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Good question, dont think we would be six points clear and playing the stuff we are. But we would surely be somewhere near the top, if Coppell's heart and head was in the job. Dont think we will see him back in managment, last time I saw him he appeared all wased out and fed up with the game.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Yes thank God we didn't hire him - he claimed he had one more job left in him and this was a prem club - and he ended up at Bristol City for 4 months and was in charge for only one or two games at the beginning of this season
We'd have had all the same players back again as he always hires the same few
We would not have been playing the sort of football that makes us drool (well me anyway). No Calderon or half the rest of the team for a start - we'd have gone backwards instead of being where we are now.
More than happy with Poyet and I hope he stays

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
all of the above plus we would have had another new manager as he would doubtless have done to us as he did to Brizzle. A lucky escape

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
Didn't Bloom want Jim Gannon as his number 1 candidate? He interviewed him first but LUCKILY he didn't want to join due to family reasons, and as a result, decided to take a 'risk' and appoint Gus? Or am i talking complete nonsense?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Didn't Bloom want Jim Gannon as his number 1 candidate? He interviewed him first but LUCKILY he didn't want to join due to family reasons, and as a result, decided to take a 'risk' and appoint Gus? Or am i talking complete nonsense?

Bloom went for Gannon when Adams left. He turned us down, we got Slade. He kept us up and then failed to develop us much (but did sign Bennett). Slade went and then the transformation began...

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Bloom went for Gannon when Adams left. He turned us down, we got Slade. He kept us up and then failed to develop us much (but did sign Bennett). Slade went and then the transformation began...

Not just Bennett but also Dicker, Navarro and Jamie Smith (not to be confused with the other, not quite so talented, Smith that he also signed)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On the one hand I remember Coppell doing well with us in a shot term (so well that Booker was able to oversee two losses and we were still in an automatic promotion spot).

On the other hand, Adams did well first time round, too.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I guess our squad would look something like:

Kuipers, Smith, Walker

Whing, Virgo, Elphick, El-Abd, Tunnicliffe, McNulty

Bennett, Dicker, Sparrow, Navarro, Smith, Cox, Hart

Murray, Forster, Dickinson

plus a handfull of Coppell's own signings but he would have kept quite a few of the players that Gus released

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here