Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker (With Flowers In My Hair)'

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The first time I heard that song I was at work and shouted an expletive, I have now seen the album advertised on the TV as well, what a load of complete and utter garbage. From my memory of the late 70's the only think a punk would have in their hair would have been spit, certainly not flowers, enough to have Sid Vicious turning in his grave. I guess a song with the lines, I wish I was a punk rocker with spittle in my hair, is not quite as marketable as that complete and utter load of bollocks.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Gully said:
The first time I heard that song I was at work and shouted an expletive, I have now seen the album advertised on the TV as well, what a load of complete and utter garbage. From my memory of the late 70's the only think a punk would have in their hair would have been spit, certainly not flowers, enough to have Sid Vicious turning in his grave. I guess a song with the lines, I wish I was a punk rocker with spittle in my hair, is not quite as marketable as that complete and utter load of bollocks.

Isn't that her somewhat limited point? She wishes she was a punk rocker (but) with flowers in her hair?

Or am I giving her too much credit?

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
No, I think that she has absolutely no idea about musical history, unless of course I am also missing the point and she wants to sanitise the punk rock movement and that indeed is what she is trying to say.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Punk was about rebellion, fighting against the system, rock music played at twice the speed, the pogo, spitting spoons, bondage trousers, safety pins, outrageous haircuts in bright colours, mohicans, studded jackets...not much room for flowers in that lot.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
DJ Leon said:
Isn't that her somewhat limited point? She wishes she was a punk rocker (but) with flowers in her hair?

Or am I giving her too much credit?

I'm with Leon, the woman does irony. Pitty most aren't clever enough to see it:dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
She is American, they don't understand irony, she is just clueless.

Gully said:

But that's what makes it so brilliant. There could be no more profound insult to a punk than to confuse them with hippies, the very genre that they came into being to annihilate.

This is satirical genius from that girl, which South Park can't even get near :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Come on, punks have been on the protected species list for too long, they are as old and smellie as hippies and now deserve to be lumped in with other :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Gully said:
She is American, they don't understand irony, she is just clueless.

She's Scottish.

The concept of the song isn't THAT hard to understand, chaps.

There's even a line: "In 77 and 69 revolution was in the air" which explains it.

She doesn't necessarily want to be a hippie OR a punk, she just likes the idea of freedom, rebellion etc etc.

Annoying song though, yeah. :lolol:

Last edited:

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Tom Hark said:
Is it just me or is this the most STUPID record - bar NONE - that was ever recorded? Utterly meaningless. Tracy Chapman without a CLUE :dunce:

I agree, it's shit. I turn it off every time it comes on the radio.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Seagullible said:
thing annoys me most is that EVERY F**KING TIME they play it that always mention she started by bloody playing it over the internet to mates! is this Goundhog day?? Where are the Zutons???

That's also been proved to be absolute bollocks - all this 'she was an unsigned artist webcasting from her basement, attratcing thousands of fans online' shite. It was all complete PR fiction.

"Since Thom's story first appeared in the Sunday Times in March, an army of bloggers have chipped away at press claims that she was a penniless, desperate singer who turned to the internet after her car broke down on the way back from yet another sparsely attended gig.

They pointed to her publishing deal with Windswept Pacific Music (home of Beyonce Knowles), her collaborations with well-known songwriters, her professionally produced website and the track record of her manager Ian Brown in promoting a number of other unlikely success stories.

They also reproduced statistics from web tracking services such as Technorati showing there was little interest in her website until the first stories appeared in the London Evening Standard and the Sunday Times."

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/netmusic/story/0,,1786403,00.html

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
bhafc99 said:
That's also been proved to be absolute bollocks - all this 'she was an unsigned artist webcasting from her basement, attratcing thousands of fans online' shite. It was all complete PR fiction.

"Since Thom's story first appeared in the Sunday Times in March, an army of bloggers have chipped away at press claims that she was a penniless, desperate singer who turned to the internet after her car broke down on the way back from yet another sparsely attended gig.

They pointed to her publishing deal with Windswept Pacific Music (home of Beyonce Knowles), her collaborations with well-known songwriters, her professionally produced website and the track record of her manager Ian Brown in promoting a number of other unlikely success stories.

They also reproduced statistics from web tracking services such as Technorati showing there was little interest in her website until the first stories appeared in the London Evening Standard and the Sunday Times."

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/netmusic/story/0,,1786403,00.html

I hate her even more now :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here