Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I will never ever vote Labour again

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
London Irish said:
I can remember Dave Hill fighting the seat back in 1987 - in those days before the electoral boundary changes, we had little hope in Pavilion against Julian Amery, all the focus was on winning Kemptown, but would be interested to know who your mum is too.
I remember Dave Hill, I went to school with his daughter in the early 80s.

My partner knows Andy Winter and Jean Calder quite well, Jean being prepared to support my partner and her school, especially a year or so ago when she tried to take the school into the state sector, only to be obstinately blocked (despite strong government backing) by the LEA (Brighton & Hove City Council), more specifically Pat Hawkes - a thoroughly unpleasant person.

Sporting link: Did you know that Andy Winter is the uncle of... Matt Prior. I'm sure most of you knew that.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Labour Councillor for Hollingbury & Stanmer

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1107344

My partner wanted to take her school into the state sector. She won government funding (£5m) to help achieve this, but one condition was to get approval from the local education authority (LEA).

The nature of the school is that it falls between several stools for state education. It is neither straightforward state education, nor is it faith-based education, nor is it specifically special needs (although it does accommodate that).

So, the process of getting the school into the state sector means that it goes through something called the Schools Organisation Commitee (SOC) - a bunch of *cough* educationalists, who are representatives of the LEA, and various faith groups, including Catholics and Church of England. Pat Hawkes is the chair of both Education & Social Services (ESS) AND the SOC. So once the matter is referred to the SOC via the ESS committee, she is able to get her grubby hands on both sets of decision-making.

Her conduct in her roles as chair at Council meetings was (and probably still is) appalling, including silencing people when they challenged her, putting the school on the agenda and discussing the school without either letting my partner know or not letting her speak when she did know.

Despite (a) having never visited the school and (b) having little or no understanding of the education method in question, she has unilaterally sought to prevent the school entering the state system. Initially, she said, it was because it would cost the City Council over £600,000 a year. Something which, two years into the process, they later had to retract when challenged. They had to because the government had told them FOUR times in writing that this was new money coming into the city, (albeit ring-fenced) and was not going to affect Council spending.

This is bascially brought about by the fact that Pat Hawkes assumes that this particular education is elitist, and for the select few, and that it has no place in modern day education, despite the fact that - without ever acknowledging it - so many state education principles are based on this particular kind of education principle.

Pat Hawkes ought to retire soon, but the underlings in her Stasi are still running the Council. Therefore, be wary of anything you hear also from Gill Mitchell, Juliet McCaffery and Jeanne Lepper.

Last edited:

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Re: Re: I will never ever vote Labour again

Tom Hark said:
Well, these 'illegal immigrants' seem pretty damn keen to work so far as I can see. Doing decent cleaning jobs at the Home Office, giving decent service in station buffets, bars, and traditional Cornish Pasty shops all over London. Helping the economy, paying taxes and National Insurance, freeing up the chavs and their pitbulls to wander round the shops all day. Everybody wins. What's not to like?

knobber, illegal immigrats don't pay taxes!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here