Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think tonight...

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Shows we are a decent side that need a sprinkling of quality in key areas.

Therefore I'd say we need the following in the first XI:

1 x attack minded centre mid
1 x clinical striker
1 x goalkeeper

Plus sign up Painter & Calderon, the back four look so solid at the moment.

What does eveyone else think?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

1 x clinical striker
1 x goalkeeper

I agree entirely, that is if we sign Lua Lua as well, otherwise add +1 left sided winger to the list.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to snap up Calderon for another year or two.

Painter on the other hand, not so sure. I think people on here underestimate the extent to which Swansea value him as a City player. He was sent here to get match-fit, as I gather from their comments at the time, he was having a pretty good season up until his fairly significant injury. He's looked very comfortable at this level, as I'm sure both parties were expecting when he signed. Also he's only 23 remember, so still a young prospect - and if he's a good Championship player, it'd seem a strange move to come here permanently, with little remorse from Swansea. I think we'd have to offer a fairly hefty fee to get him in, but I'd love it if we signed him. I see it as an almost identical scenario to Borrowdale's loan from QPR last season though. (Perhaps we're in a slightly advantageous position this time round, hmm)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Is anyone else curious as to why Calderon was a free agent for so long before we offered him a contract?

From what I've seen he's a very decent player and just the sort of defender we want if we are serious about pushing forward.

All credit to Poyet for recognising his talent obviously but are we just tapping into his unrealised potential or is there something other clubs have seen that we've missed?

To be honest I don't care, if he keeps it up then I'll be delighted. STAR MAN

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

1 x clinical striker
1 x goalkeeper

Agree with Painter & Calderon. Otherwise I think there's not a lot wrong with the team!

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
The foundations are there. Although I am still seeing too much hoof ball, and lack of clinical finishing. Nothing that a good summer in the Friday Ad wont cure :clap2:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The foundations are there. Although I am still seeing too much hoof ball, and lack of clinical finishing. Nothing that a good summer in the Friday Ad wont cure :clap2:

Hoof ball? that was Colchester wasn't it?

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
1 x goalkeeper

Im pretty happy with Brez at the moment to be honest. Whilst FDM is still an amazing shot stopper Brez is very good in the air and claiming balls that FDM would flap at which I think has cost us some goals this season. Brez as a starting keeper with the young gun as backup sounds good to me!

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Let's hope Gus sticks around to finish the job which clearly he has started. Like all good teams he's building from the back. We are now apparently very hard to score against. We have the makings of a nice little unbeaten run to foster confidence and I'm looking forward to a gradual but sustainable rise up the table. Of the 12 remaining games I'm going to be optimistic and predict no more than 3 defeats. Mid-table beckons and I have the utmost faith that in the summer Gus , backed by Bloom's cheque book , will bring in the handful of quality players we need to have a proper tilt at promotion next season.

Onwards and upwards. Already looking forward to a few weeks exciting speculation about summer signings. Haven't felt this confident about things for a few years now.

Up the Albion!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Im pretty happy with Brez at the moment to be honest. Whilst FDM is still an amazing shot stopper Brez is very good in the air and claiming balls that FDM would flap at which I think has cost us some goals this season. Brez as a starting keeper with the young gun as backup sounds good to me!

True, but I'm still to be convinced he is No 1 in a promotion chasing side though.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Some of the football played by us in the 1st half, on that awful pitch, was quite exceptional. The way that we wone the ball and kept it, players making themselves available so the one with the ball always had options, it was a joy the way we moved the ball about.

It says something in that Colchester had to set out to stop us playing in order to save them from losing, rather than imposing themselves as the 'better' team that you would expect from promotion chasers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here