Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I think the FANS have to take some of the blame for low gates

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Might seem a strange thing to say but so many of the fans left at Withdean spend the entire game MOANING and BITCHING that I can fully understand why more casual fans are not enjoying the experience as much.

Obviously the team, the manager, prices and the results are important but the fans are not blameless.

No roof, miles from the pitch etc etc but when the fans got behind the team for the last ten minutes last night it was FUN.

The main reason I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket is not the team (I've seen worse) its the constant MOANING of the fans.

I know at least those people are there and they have paid their money so deserve to have their say etc but perhaps keep it to yourself. Not everyone wants to hear people moan at every single misplaced ball.

If the fans got behind the team it would be a far more fun place to come to WHATEVER the result.

My first albion game - I dont remember much about the TEAM or the MATCH. I remember the FANS and the NOISE.

Kids coming today are hardly going to be wowed by a bunch of miserable old gits moaning about how we should resign Cullip...

Will Mrs. Morris stop going to Withers as well, or is this a solidarty issue.
:clap2:

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
At the Northampton game there was an old man in front of me who criticised everything Northampton did (I was in the Northasmpton end)... the amount of times he contradicted himself was ridiculous... it was almost funny.

Seems we don't have a monoploy on moaners..... just most of ours aren't grumpy old men and so have no excuse.

Might seem a strange thing to say but so many of the fans left at Withdean spend the entire game MOANING and BITCHING that I can fully understand why more casual fans are not enjoying the experience as much.

Obviously the team, the manager, prices and the results are important but the fans are not blameless.

No roof, miles from the pitch etc etc but when the fans got behind the team for the last ten minutes last night it was FUN.

The main reason I don't think I will be renewing my season ticket is not the team (I've seen worse) its the constant MOANING of the fans.

I know at least those people are there and they have paid their money so deserve to have their say etc but perhaps keep it to yourself. Not everyone wants to hear people moan at every single misplaced ball.

If the fans got behind the team it would be a far more fun place to come to WHATEVER the result.

My first albion game - I dont remember much about the TEAM or the MATCH. I remember the FANS and the NOISE.

Kids coming today are hardly going to be wowed by a bunch of miserable old gits moaning about how we should resign Cullip...

Sorry but football has moved on, whether we as fans like it or not.

The BHA fanbase is disappearing as fast as the arctic ice shelf at the moment. Assume that the STH all turn up (and they are all included in the final attendance count whether they turn up or not) and it would appear that we barely sold 1500 tickets for this match.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
shocking turnout last night
interesting couple of posts on Ask The Club re smoking, I wonder if that has had a little impact on gates

cos last night a mate (well a mates mate) got chucked out by 5 stewards at half time as he sneaked a cheeky fag well behind a burger van. Yeah he shouldnt have really done it, but hes not going back, I wonder how many people arent going due to the ban? They could easily let people out and in, though dont know the full rules

Not going back because he wasn't capable of going without a fag for a couple of hours? If someone was swigging out of a bottle of whisky and got caught, or any other thing that was not allowed and was turfed out, would you still have sympathy for him?
Sorry to all you addicted smokers out there, but Grandad Coach smokes about 40 a day (yuk yuk yuk) and he can go without a fag for two hours, so I'm damn sure most smokers can!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
At the Northampton game there was an old man in front of me who criticised everything Northampton did (I was in the Northasmpton end)... the amount of times he contradicted himself was ridiculous... it was almost funny.

Seems we don't have a monoploy on moaners..... just most of ours aren't grumpy old men and so have no excuse.

Were most of the men at the England games who showed their dissatisfaction for the performance and the manager just grumpy old men to?
There are so many on here that thinks to moan, you have to be old and the only moaners are Albion fans.
I think you all need to wake up and realise that young and old will moan at any club or international level, if they feel they have paid to watch shite

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Not going back because he wasn't capable of going without a fag for a couple of hours? If someone was swigging out of a bottle of whisky and got caught, or any other thing that was not allowed and was turfed out, would you still have sympathy for him?
Sorry to all you addicted smokers out there, but Grandad Coach smokes about 40 a day (yuk yuk yuk) and he can go without a fag for two hours, so I'm damn sure most smokers can!

I gave up smoking 5 years ago but to be fair to the smokers I used to smoke more when I was bored. Given the current entertainment value, some of them would be on 20 a game if allowed to smoke.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
On a general theme the low gates are primarily because the football is relatively meaningless. If we were challenging for promotion or even close to relegation the crowds would be higher. We aren't really in any serious danger of doing either.

If we were winning 1-0 every week and top of the league the crowds would be there regardless of the entertainment value.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton

Us stewards start work at 1pm on a Saturday and we don't get to have another one til we have cleared the stadium and signed out 5.15 ish and i can manage it!
:albion2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I think it is more about the way that football authorities do everything to discourage fans from attending...no smoking, no drinking, no standing, no swearing, no buying tickets at the gate, no parking near the ground, you are made to feel like a leper if you didnt come by bus or train, coppers walking round with video cameras.....the smoking stuff is just a part of the whole package.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Were most of the men at the England games who showed their dissatisfaction for the performance and the manager just grumpy old men to?
There are so many on here that thinks to moan, you have to be old and the only moaners are Albion fans.
I think you all need to wake up and realise that young and old will moan at any club or international level, if they feel they have paid to watch shite

Not the same thing England Internationals and League 1 football. Grumpy Old men seem to think that League 1 football and poor and suffering clubs should resemble in some way England Internationals at Wembley!

And to be fair... the way England played under McLaren... they might be right ;)

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This is my take on the scenario...There is not one specific reason why gates are falling, but a combination of 4 or 5 reasons...

1) We're in League 1 again. No big teams and interest is low. I'd bet we'd struggle to get 8000 at Falmer for a midweek game V Cheltenham in the middle of Feb.
2) It's winter and people have got no money - Yes £23 IS alot to pay for a league 1 game.
3) For midweek games, the type people turning up is going to be different to that of a saturday afternoon - The club are targetting the wrong audience with midweek games. Instead of Under 10's who usually have to be up early for school the following day, they should be targetting the mid to late teens for their discounts and local businesses to woo their workforce (can't believe I used the word 'Woo'!).
3) the smoking ban...I don't smoke but I know around 6 friends/family members who no longer go because they can't nip out and feed their habit!
4) The football is uninspiring..Sacking the manager won't change that. We're not going to see silky skills on show with the players we're able to attract.
5) Withdean is a dump
6) Finally, In my opinion, the biggest reason why we're not attracting people is because of the quite frankly shocking transportation to & from the ground. If you don't drive and you're not from Brighton, you are well and truly stuffed. I'm in Mile Oak - so hardly in the middle of nowhere and the journey to & from the Stadium is in excess of 3 hours by bus. if you've got children like I have then it's worse aswell because you need to keep them occupied and fed for a very long period. The club and the bus company desparately need to come to some sort of arrangement to have a more organised transportation policy. Park & ride just isn't working.

There are other things, like people moaning, the atmosphere but IMHO if that alone is affecting you from watching your favourite club then you're not really a true supporter.

Oh one other thing...And people will slate me for this, but having the game broadcast on the radio DOES make a difference. Some people actually decide not to go to watch a game because they can listen on the radio in the comfort of their own homes!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think it is more about the way that football authorities do everything to discourage fans from attending...no smoking, no drinking, no standing, no swearing, no buying tickets at the gate, no parking near the ground, you are made to feel like a leper if you didnt come by bus or train, coppers walking round with video cameras.....the smoking stuff is just a part of the whole package.

Might be part of the Withdean package, but you can do most of the above-mentioned things at The Dripping Pan :thumbsup:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
I have looked into this smoking buisness and have found out that you cannot smoke if a building has three sides and a roof(the withers doesn't have any roofs)
But the smoking still comes into force because it is owned by the council and you cannot smoke in any council premises.

The non-smoking thing is also a Football League rule - although I believe some clubs have a smoking area near the perimeter of the ground.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Personally I think its overpriced. I also think the product on the pitch is generally crap but decent in patches.

Now we may not win many (any games) but if we had (for example) 11 Oatways giving their ALL, I f***ing guarantee there would be an atmosphere, the crowd would see the players doing their bit and reciprocate in return. Last nite at times it looked like players were going thru the motions or were actually panicking and afraid to make a mistake.

Far too many times we have conceded goals like Cheltenhams first where we back off, back off, then seing of the boot and we are 1 down or have conceded an equaliser, and for long periods Cheltenham looked like a comfortable side and thats worrying, either they werre good or we made them look good.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
shocking turnout last night
interesting couple of posts on Ask The Club re smoking, I wonder if that has had a little impact on gates

cos last night a mate (well a mates mate) got chucked out by 5 stewards at half time as he sneaked a cheeky fag well behind a burger van. Yeah he shouldnt have really done it, but hes not going back, I wonder how many people arent going due to the ban? They could easily let people out and in, though dont know the full rules

Jesus, how dangerous is that!!!!!! There are gas canisters behind there, and i doubt theyre very well maintained!!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
People are choosing to stay away because of high prices and perceived poor quality. It’s also not helped by the huge amount of perpetuating negativity surrounding the albion at the moment. Callers on the phone-in, Naylor's reports and articles and the whingers on the argus site must have a detrimental affect on casual fans bothering to turn up. You read some of the crap on the argus site and it’d turn most people off going to matches. Some of our fans are hardly a great advert for the albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here