Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I saw a young woman hitch hiking at the bottom of Springfield Road this morning.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
picked up a female hitcher in our mini bus going up to notts county 83,it kicked off a bit with pompey at the services they opened up the back door and gave her a right hand! bless her taking one for the boy:facepalm:s

Pompey hitting a woman = about right

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If i were a hitcherer i'd always be looking out for a severed finger in my chips bought at a Moto or Welcome Break. I'd be particularly wary at Toddington Services. That sounds the regular home of a roaming psycho.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Been hitch-hiking on and off round S.Korea, Japan and Taiwan for the last two months. It's really quite good fun and a great way to meet people. Will defo give it a try when I'm back in the UK. :)

hitchhiker.jpg

Big chopper

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Been hitch-hiking on and off round S.Korea, Japan and Taiwan for the last two months. It's really quite good fun and a great way to meet people. Will defo give it a try when I'm back in the UK. :)

Looks like I may be doing this on Friday, from Lancing to Liverpool, if I can't get any money together.

I'll let you all know how many times I'm killed :p

And if anyone has any tips on getting out of Brighton feel free to share them :) - Which road's best, etc...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I used to hitch hike regularly in Ecuador, Cuba and Malawi. A great way to travel and meet interesting people. The hariest trip was being put in the back of a van - no light with the doors shut. There were four of us, so felt quite safe. The best was a 40ft long truck that drove us 300 miles to Quito. Stretched out on the back with the sun blazing down and a bucket of cold beers.

Hitchhiked on a school field trip and narrowly avoided suspension when our housemaster found out - apparently against school rules.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
I used to hitch hike regularly in Ecuador, Cuba and Malawi. A great way to travel and meet interesting people. The hariest trip was being put in the back of a van - no light with the doors shut. There were four of us, so felt quite safe. The best was a 40ft long truck that drove us 300 miles to Quito. Stretched out on the back with the sun blazing down and a bucket of cold beers.

Hitchhiked on a school field trip and narrowly avoided suspension when our housemaster found out - apparently against school rules.

I was picked up by a Taiwanese couple. They were English teachers on their summer holidays and decided to go well out of their way to drive me to the door of my hostel in Hualien, after failing to convince me to stay with them and their family (I'd already booked my hostel)!! But they were so friendly. We met up with their friends en route, who then insisted on buying my lunch for me....a three course meal! It was quite a posh restaraunt and I felt a little bit out of place wearing sandals and having been without a shower for a couple of days.

Bad side was sleeping on a wet and windy beach in northern Japan (may have been Hakodate) after being chucked out from the railway station. I woke to find a homeless man had set up camp next to me, and was pleasuring himself with the aid of a very well worn magazine. He offered me the magazine but I politely declined and decided it was best to find somewhere else to finish my night's sleep.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:lolol:

Yes, it can go wrong at times.

I took a ferry across to Isla de Juventud from mainland Havana. The ferry was 4 hours late and we arrived at 1am - everyone scuttled away and the three of us (a German chap and an English girl I tagged along with) ended up wandering around for what seemed hours. There was next to no light, so we had to use the moonlight. Ended up being picked up by a random bus that was on the way to a brothel.

It was quite a fun journey, they gave us rum and we had a sing song. We were set to stay at the brothel (with honourable intentions), but the girl refused, so we got dumped back in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, a car passed us and they let out their bedroom to us for the night, whilst they went and slept next door with some friends.

Two lifts, during the same journey, broke down in Malawi, so we ended up walking most of the 20 miles in the searing heat.

No stories of masturbation though, thankfully.

Last edited:

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
:lolol:

Yes, it can go wrong at times.

I took a ferry across to Isla de Juventud from mainland Havana. The ferry was 4 hours late and the three of us arrived at 1am - everyone scuttled away and the three of us (a German chap and an English girl I tagged along with) ended up wandering around for what seemed hours. There was next to no light, so we had to use the moonlight. Ended up being picked up by a random bus that was on the way to a brothel.

It was quite a fun journey, they gave us rum and we had a sing song. We were set to stay at the brothel (with honourable intentions), but the girl refused, so we got dumped back in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully, a car passed us and they let out their bedroom to us for the night, whilst they went and slept next door with some friends.

Two lifts, during the same journey, broke down in Malawi, so we ended up walking most of the 20 miles in the searing heat.

It's great isn't it! You never know what's going to happen next. You don't know how long you'll be stranded in the middle of nowhere waiting for a lift, where you'll sleep, and where your day will end.

It'll be nice to see if I can do Lancing to Liverpool in a day, on Friday. If I don't, I do know my next big trip abroad will see me hitching more than last time. You meet so many characters. There was the bloke who could only take me twenty mins up the road, but spent an hour and a half at a service area nr Hiroshima asking every driver coming in whether they would give me a lift. Or the man who kept waking me up at the service area at Shiminoseki, on my way to see Major Lazer, but then bought me breakfast in the morning.

I bet you have loads of stories about hitching Ecuador, Cuba and Malawi. Would love to read them!

I had a couple of excellent hhiking experiences - once all the way up Highway 1 on the California coast. We got a couple of rides in flatbed pickups, which gave the most amazing view possible. Guested with a hippy couple (no doors..not even for the loo!) in San Luis Obispo which was half-way up, then got an amazing 150mile lift in another flatbed for most of the rest of the way - which took in San Simeon, Big Sur and Monterey Bay.

Some years later, the same girl visited me and we drove her rented car to Grand Canyon (which is amazing). I had to return to LA for business reasons while she and her best friend carried on to Monument Valley. I had my recently adopted puppy at the time, and we got lifts together very quick and easily - but the last ride was for most of the way - several hundred miles - with a young girl and her daughter and kitten. We'd chatted at a truck-stop where I'd been dropped last, and it turned out she was heading all the way from St Louis to Long Beach, so she dropped me at my place living a few yards from the beach at the Pacific Ocean. The total journey was about 9 hours from Flagstaff to my door, which was pretty bloody fast.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I used to regularly hitch from Steyning to the Goldstone when I was a young lad. Used to stand by the Bramber Castle roundabout, and normally get a lift into Shoreham, then do it again down to Hove. Once or twice even used to get the driver offer to take us direct to the ground. Also used to hitch all over the south, folks lived in Oxford, so did the Oxford to Sussex run a few times, and over to Bristol once or twice. The rules were, don't dress like a tramp, and always face the oncoming traffic and walk backwards as you were thumbing it :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hitched round Europe and down to Italy a few times in the 1960's.Mainly good fun.Met loads of interesting and decent people along the way.Watched the 1966 World Cup Final in the back of a bakers shop in a tiny village in Germany....lots of good German beer and a great time!
Happy days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here