Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I ran the line at an u12's match last night

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
... as a favour.

I wont be doing it again - one of the managers questioned every little decision I made. I'll concede that one offside I gave was contentious as 2 boys running through were off, but maybe one of them wasn't interfering with play.
Trouble is the ref was so weak that he started overruling every decision I made after that.

The manager was SO over the top with his verbals and language, I nearly reached breaking point and was about to shove my flag up his arse, before I suddenly twigged that the ref was his best mate or maybe even his brother and was not a neutral at all.

Scandalous and sad that this sort of intensity and corruption goes on at u12's level.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Yes the kids are fine - the parents can be bad defo.
But the manager last night was sub human scum

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah my son plays U12s (for Withdean) and I run the line and occasionally referee - although I haven't had to do it this year. Some of the parents are a disgrace and the whole thing is far too competitive for kids.

Actually it has been slightly easier this year because apart from two close games Withdean have steamrollered everybody so even the most one-eyed mums and dads have been quiet. Although that didn't stop one set of parents from moaning loudly that we only won because we 'cheated' - after they'd lost 6-0!

English football won't improve BTW until all these leagues and cups are scrapped and kids are encouraged to work on their skills as opposed to winning meaningless bits of plastic.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Jam The Man said:
... as a favour.

I wont be doing it again - one of the managers questioned every little decision I made. I'll concede that one offside I gave was contentious as 2 boys running through were off, but maybe one of them wasn't interfering with play.
Trouble is the ref was so weak that he started overruling every decision I made after that.

The manager was SO over the top with his verbals and language, I nearly reached breaking point and was about to shove my flag up his arse, before I suddenly twigged that the ref was his best mate or maybe even his brother and was not a neutral at all.

Scandalous and sad that this sort of intensity and corruption goes on at u12's level.

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: Welcolm to the world of schoolboy football! :lolol:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Brovian said:
Yeah my son plays U12s (for Withdean) and I run the line and occasionally referee - although I haven't had to do it this year. Some of the parents are a disgrace and the whole thing is far too competitive for kids.

Actually it has been slightly easier this year because apart from two close games Withdean have steamrollered everybody so even the most one-eyed mums and dads have been quiet. Although that didn't stop one set of parents from moaning loudly that we only won because we 'cheated' - after they'd lost 6-0!

English football won't improve BTW until all these leagues and cups are scrapped and kids are encouraged to work on their skills as opposed to winning meaningless bits of plastic.

With Withdean 2000 parents saying things like this, thoughts of kettles, pots and black come to mind! ???

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Running the line and reffing games ought to be compulsory for anyone who watches football. Only then do you realise how bloomin difficult it is, and you also realise how loosely people actually know the rules.

And I must say that in the Horsham leagues the games are played in a pretty good atmosphere, and it is only rarely that there is problems with parents, or managers who appear to take take the teams performance personally.

There are many things I would change about youth football - the first would be to have age groups over two years. Too many players are disadvantaged on the basis of size.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Dick Knights Mum said:
There are many things I would change about youth football - the first would be to have age groups over two years. Too many players are disadvantaged on the basis of size.

I know what you are saying about age/size, but how would that help?

As the dad of two boys born in July, it would surely have meant that they totally missed out for one year, and then the cream of the year below would probably have ousted them the following year as well.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
working on one calendar year the advantage is with the autumn-born. They are generally bigger (six or nine months growth makes an incredible difference at that age) and where the game favours the lads who can kick further etc they get the praise etc. Tommy Boyd did some interesting research on the birth dates of premiership players - they were - surprise, surprise - mainly autumn born.

Over two years it is easier for the lads to find their level. The better players from the lower year can play up to the year above, and the lesser players can play down to the year below. So a physically smaller player has an opportunity to play with lads from the year below. Physically bigger players can play with the year above. It would not be perfect - and there are opportunites for ringers etc, but the greater gain would be that less boys would be put off the game because of size.

My lad, though big, is July born - and has to play with lads who are 11 months older - but can't play with lads six weeks younger. It's crazy.

The French organise age groups over two years I believe. It would not be too difficult to sort out.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Dick Knights Mum said:
My lad, though big, is July born - and has to play with lads who are 11 months older - but can't play with lads six weeks younger. It's crazy.

I think the secret here is for would-be parents to stop shagging in October/November and postpone it to the Christmas period.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
3gulls said:
With Withdean 2000 parents saying things like this, thoughts of kettles, pots and black come to mind! ???
I don't know what age group you're familiar with but the parents of the under-12's are pussycats! Although I know that isn't true for all the age groups!

Still think that English schoolboy football is far too competitive at far too early an age and too much emphasis is placed on winning. The Germans don't do it.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is ridiculous they get to 11 and they are playing 11-a-side with potentially full sized goals.

It is an old chestnut - but if the football authorities were not so intent on filling the pockets of those at the top they could spend some decent money on facilities lower down. Some of the pitches are absolutely atrocious. Those goons shaking hands with the players before last nights game should be ashamed.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
I think the secret here is for would-be parents to stop shagging in October/November and postpone it to the Christmas period.

If I were to pass advice to prospective parents - I would suggest autumn babies. For schooling and sporting reasons.

I seem to remember that in the seventies this was how youth team fotball was orgainsed at clubs (rather than schools) ,

My club ran u.12s, U14,, u16, u18, second team, first teams (all with reserve teams) when I played (and I use that term very loosley) for tehm from 1976-79

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Welcome to the Competitive Dads thread :lolol:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
To be honest Edna - it is something you have to be aware of. When you manage a junior team it is diificult balance instilling competitive edge, and not being competitive Dad. You do try to get them to treat both imposters of victory and defeat the same.

When I am on the touchline I try to remember the day when I was standing in the teeth of a gale and none of the boys could hear anything I was saying. And it made absolutely no difference.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Knights Mum said:
It is ridiculous they get to 11 and they are playing 11-a-side with potentially full sized goals.
Ridiculous isn't the word. Withdean U12s play at Waterhall on the adult pitches - and they were also playing there last year when they were U11s! How are we expected to match the skills of the Dutch, Germans or French when our kids are learning the game surrounded by 30 or 40 braying adults all shouting "Get stuck in, get rid of it, etc" and cheering whenever some big lad just lumps the ball up the field? (Although as I said earlier Withdean U12s are largely free of this element!)

PS - I've seen the equivalent age groups play in France and there isn't nearly the same emphasis on winning at all costs.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Would Withdean U-12s be interested in a friendly in the close season. My eldest plays for Addiscome Corinthians u-12s and they may be interested.

Don't know what standard to benchmark to mind.

Just a thought and nothing may come of it.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
NMH said:
You should report the ref to the authorities, and tell him you want to smack his manager mate.

Why waste your time with the Sussex FA?

I run an Under 15 side and the Referee of the opposing side,who is about 6ft 5ins tall called my Goalkeeper a Lippy C**T and then called me a F**KING T**T in front of 6 of my players,we reported him straight away for Child Abuse and 3 months later the Sussex FA havent done a thing,when it states in there Charter that any abuse by a Parent to a child during a game will be dealt with straight away,and him being a so called responsible person as he was Referee,need I say anymore!!:censored:

PS He is also an Albion Fan,so I dont know how he can look at himself in the mirror in the morning!

The Father of the Boy is considering contacting The Argus over this,and I cant say I blame him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here