Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I-pods or things like them

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I want ot by an I-pod. Or an mp3 player or some kind of small personal music player where I can store loads of songs and download songs off the net on to. Any reccomendations? I'm a simpleton when it comes to technology so nothing thats too difficult to use, please.

Thank you!:)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Regardless what myob and Crabbers will say. You can't go far wrong with an Ipod and there's one to suit every need and price. Very easy to use and the itunes software is nice and simple for a non tech type person.

Previous problems with ipods such as battery life etc have been solved in the current models and sound quality is as good if not better than every other mp3 on the market (according to many reviews and my own personal experience)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I do like my Sony Walkman and they've sorted the software out now.

sony%20walkman.jpg

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
tinx said:
You can't go far wrong with an Ipod and there's one to suit every need and price. Very easy to use and the itunes software is nice and simple for a non tech type person.

Which do you think is better to get- a nano or a 60/80gb one?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Garry Nelson's Left Foot said:
Which do you think is better to get- a nano or a 60/80gb one?

Depends on where you intend to use it. A nano is great for the gym, but if you travel a lot and have lots of CD's then a full fat version is ideal. Ignore the video facilities on them though, waste of time and space

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Where's MYOB? How can we have an iPod thread without him? We need to rate his anti-Apple apoplexy on a scale of 1-10, Uncle Spielberg style.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Kaz said:
Have to add another one in here, Creative, I love mine.

Just had a look at their website. How reliable are they(the mp3 players not the company...)? Are they easy to use. I can't stress my computer illiteracy enough. Ease of use is really important!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Man of Harveys said:
I do like my Sony Walkman and they've sorted the software out now.

sony%20walkman.jpg

Ditto.

By the way MoH, were you aware that there is a 'cheat' that unlocks the inbuilt volume control on the Sony Walkman?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
El Presidente said:
Depends on where you intend to use it. A nano is great for the gym, but if you travel a lot and have lots of CD's then a full fat version is ideal. Ignore the video facilities on them though, waste of time and space

I have several hundred c.d's and plan to use it for day to day mundane things-walking around town, train to work etc. Although it will be an essential and much used companion on any and all 14hour flights back to and from England.

What's so bad about the video function?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Buzzer said:
Ditto.

By the way MoH, were you aware that there is a 'cheat' that unlocks the inbuilt volume control on the Sony Walkman?
Yes, thanks - my boss, of all people, discovered it on the internet. Gotta love working for someone with such a flagrant disregard for company rules on internet use...

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Buzzer said:
Ditto.

This is EXACTLY the reason why I'd never have anything BUT an iPod, Tinx is spot on as well !!

Last edited:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I'm dead chuffed with my 8gb Nano, after some initial teething problems.

I give it my Juicy Blue seal of approval. And it looks well sexy too

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
Just had a look at their website. How reliable are they(the mp3 players not the company...)? Are they easy to use. I can't stress my computer illiteracy enough. Ease of use is really important!

Have to be honest and say I've never had anything but Creative, have used my brothers Phillips one, but couldn't get on with it. To put tracks on and off, plug into the computer, it comes up as a second had drive, pick the tracks you want, right click and send to Drive F. You can also click and drag, haven't actually used the software with it, aprt from the drivers, I've never needed to. Never had any reliability issues at all, and if I can use it, anyone can

Could risk a flaming here, but never been keen on the look of the iPod, and now seems to common, imo.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have a Creative: I love it to bits. dead easy to use.

I acquired my Creative in the same month that Mrs G acquired an iPod; mine's still working while the Apple product gave up the ghost after three months.

That's Apple all over: spend zillions on design and diddly squat on quality control

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have several hundred c.d's and plan to use it for day to day mundane things-walking around town, train to work etc. Although it will be an essential and much used companion on any and all 14hour flights back to and from England.

What's so bad about the video function?

You could get a combined mp3 player and DAB radio, then you could listen to the creekit on the train to work and music on the way home. Job done.

Think will set you back £140 for a good one though [or £49 in TJ Hughes in Boscombe last week!]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here