Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I no longer like football

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I agree with most of this thread but I'd suggest that the vast majority of you will be back when we start playing consistently good football and winning. That's how Brighton crowds have gone from 4k to 25+k in the past. The old ones will return and the kids will want to support their local club again imo. Kicking off at Falmer with a team playing quality football whether it be in League 1 or the Championship will see mojos being found all over Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree with most of this thread but I'd suggest that the vast majority of you will be back when we start playing consistently good football and winning. That's how Brighton crowds have gone from 4k to 25+k in the past. The old ones will return and the kids will want to support their local club again imo. Kicking off at Falmer with a team playing quality football whether it be in League 1 or the Championship will see mojos being found all over Sussex
Agreed, and I see why you have written that, from my original post, but that wasn't quite my point.
I just don't think I like football, any more.
I don't like what it's become, what the premiership has done to the game, and more importantly the people in it.
It feels so far removed from my heyday, and further back.
The Big Match Revisited has probably gone a long way to stop me enjoying football now, I can't believe any one who says it's better now.

I love The Albion, and always will, this wasn't mean't to be a 'lets kick Withdean' thread. But I know that does have to come into it, and hopefully Falmer will allow me to 'rites of passage' my son, as I was, all those years ago. (There will be a tear in my eye that day).

Oh come on Icy supporting the Albion and a winning team, hardly goes hand in hand, does it. :lol:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That's my point it won't,well not for me anyway.Even when Falmer is built i believe the novelty will wear off after a year or two regardless what division we are in.
It's not just about a new stadium and higher standard of football is it? There are many factors i hate about the modern game.Going to football for me is a chore and it shouldn't feel like that.
I want value for money and a laugh with my mates.Thats means picking where WE would like to stand and watch the game.No grief from tossers in yellow jackets and a fag.Football then didn't hurt your wallet and i miss the times getting drunk in Hove park before going in and having a great day.Those days are gone and so to a part of me.I got value for money then.
Falmer is built in the middle of nowhere which doesn't help.Can't pop into a boozer straight after a game like the Goldstone ground or pop into the shell gargare/chippy etc.I know this last bit is picky but it adds up to the enjoyment of it all.
Give me a 10k terracing ground anyday over Falmer.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The 80's were a grim time to be a football fan with hooliganism and the Police's attitude to supporters,herded into pens like cattle.Important lessons had to be learnt from Hillsborough and the introduction of all-seater stadiums was inevitable.The 'surges' in the North Stand could be quite scary if you were near the front at the Goldstone.

I know what you're saying about the Premiershit and Withdean.It's not value for money anymore and the atmosphere is dreadful at most grounds.Football helps people through difficult times in their life though.It gives them hope.A cure for depression(some may say a cause of it though!).I don't think the novelty of Falmer will ever wear off at all.

Stick with it Stat Brother.I feel just as passionate about football as i ever have done.When you're at Falmer with your little lad the magic will return.:thumbsup:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I find myself agreeing with much of this thread (and like Stat Brother this is not just purely about Withdean) but I do wonder how much is about age - I know my father started going to the Albion less in his 50s, perhaps it's something about reaching middle-age. And, I certainly think the cost of football is an inhibiting factor.

But that doesn't explain the lack of interest in televised football. I've hardly watched any MOTD this year and there was a time when it was compulsory television. I think virtually everyone who remembers life pre-Premiership agrees that football was better then - for whatever reason - and I can't see changing any time soon. I have no doubt that if I still lived in London, I would be watching more rugby than football; better entertainment, much, much cheaper and and can have a beer too.

Happily, I like cricket just as much as before so, provided they don't do something stupid like scrapping the 4-day game, my sporting needs are happily fulfilled.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I gave up on football years ago. I'm a massive Brighton fan, absolutely couldn't live without them and need the fix of watching them but I don't really know the other sides in our league, I don't know who the oppo players are and as for the premiership - I hate Man U but the rest, don't really care. I'd love us to do well but only so I can watch Albion against better sides and bigger crowds.

I follow the Albion and England but don't follow football would best describe it.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I gave up on football years ago. I'm a massive Brighton fan, absolutely couldn't live without them and need the fix of watching them but I don't really know the other sides in our league, I don't know who the oppo players are and as for the premiership - I hate Man U but the rest, don't really care. I'd love us to do well but only so I can watch Albion against better sides and bigger crowds.

I follow the Albion and England but don't follow football would best describe it.

Yep, That sums it up for me too.
Ever since I started watching the Albion I have been a Brighton fan not a football fan. I really can't raise much interest in any other team or division.

LABHA

Feb 9, 2009
Littlehampton,Wick actually
Lets face it,having no real home is the real reason,i used to go to 80%-90% home games,but since we sold The Goldstone,i have only been to that athletics track 5 times, i am like 1000s of others,cant wait to have Real home ground,get that buzz back, doing the home game thing again,thats what its about for me anyway,just hope it will be same for people like you.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I am seriously thinking of ditching Sky, the main reason for getting it back in 1995 was for the live football, but as with a lot of other posters on this thread, I really don't give a toss about watching it now. Overkill is the main reason, Sky have saturated us with live matches to the point where quite frankly I'm bored stiff with it. Never mind the Premiershite, does anyone watch the live Spanish games, and unless you live in Scotland who the hell wants to watch that pile of crap (oh good another 'Old Firm' derby!) they've even been showing Irish league games FFS, what next LOW's!
Hopefully, if I do get rid of Sky, some of the old passion I had for going to watch the Albion will return, I'm a STH but pick and choose which games I go to mainly based on the weather, so yes, I am a fair weather fan and until we move to Falmer I will continue to be.
There, I feel better now.

:falmer:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am seriously thinking of ditching Sky, the main reason for getting it back in 1995 was for the live football, but as with a lot of other posters on this thread, I really don't give a toss about watching it now. Overkill is the main reason, Sky have saturated us with live matches to the point where quite frankly I'm bored stiff with it. Never mind the Premiershite, does anyone watch the live Spanish games, and unless you live in Scotland who the hell wants to watch that pile of crap (oh good another 'Old Firm' derby!) they've even been showing Irish league games FFS, what next LOW's!
Hopefully, if I do get rid of Sky, some of the old passion I had for going to watch the Albion will return, I'm a STH but pick and choose which games I go to mainly based on the weather, so yes, I am a fair weather fan and until we move to Falmer I will continue to be.
There, I feel better now.

:falmer:

Gave up Sky 6 years ago purely because I was watching games that I had no interest in, just because they were on and I was too weak willed to turn them off. Saved myself a fortune but it didn't make me love the Albion any more or less :shrug:

I do miss the rugby though :down:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you want a snapshot of part of the reason why people are pissed off with the modern game read Insider's "Any STH's having problems booking online?" thread. Jeez that is DEPRESSING. It's all "Just enter your credit car number, fan number and post code. Well try it again in capitals. And no spaces. Once in enter the twelve digit reference numbers for all the family and friends accounts to which you wish to link remembering that Gold STHs can't link to White members who have previously been in a relationship with a Blue member and where two of the group are under sixteen. White members who haven't had their accounts validated by the Ticket Office can't be linked in with a Gold member and linking to a member of Gully's Gang is probably illegal. And Blue and White members who haven't bought at least one ticket on-line in the past twelve months can't do anything as you've been deleted from the database and the system won't recognise you, so you'll have to re-apply. Contact the Ticket Office for a form. Once you've got past that stage enter the number of tickets you wish to purchase remembering that Gold members can buy twice as many as a Blue member providing that the preceeding White member only ordered the same quantity as the linked Gold member. Oh, and if the while thing hangs or dumps you out after you've done all this it's because it's busy, so try later."

How did we come to this? It's only a game of football.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
I think that is a very good point. Footy on TV has killed the Golden Goose as far as I am concerned.

When i were a Lad, the only live football on TV was the FA Cup final and the European Cup Final. weekly it was Sportsnight with Coleman and match of the day on saturday and Big match Sunday. that was basically it.

for people to see live games, it was going to watch a match or nothing at all..nowadays you even get Blue Square stuff live on telly...its pure overkill.

What really does worry me is the way big clubs dont give a toss these days about cup games ( even celebrating getting in teh Europa Cup and then sending out 10 year olds to play in it!) We even have clubs putting out crap reserve sides against the top sides ( Wolves v manu) as they have a relegation battle the next week......so what is the point?

I do agree that it is a habit.

A few years ago, I wouldnt have thought twice about going to villa instead of singing in a concert, now after initial thoughts, I realise that watching football is not on my list of priorities.

its a shame that it has come to this after 35 years

You are so right, when there was an international or FA Cup final day it was like a national holiday and the excitement was almost unbearable, The world cup and European still hold a little magic but Champions League is just dull with having 2 teams in the final from the same country is absolutely ridiculous. I am hoping that when I take my 5 yr old to Falmer eventually some of the magic will come back but I know there are no guarantees

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find myself agreeing with much of this thread (and like Stat Brother this is not just purely about Withdean) but I do wonder how much is about age - I know my father started going to the Albion less in his 50s, perhaps it's something about reaching middle-age.

Oi who you calling middle-aged. I'm 24 + 15 (for 5 more weeks) :lol:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I agree wand empathise with so much said on this thread. since my first game in 63 I have been an avid fan, and done around 50-60 away grounds. am always without fail listening, and reading Albion. Though for personal reasons i have been less and less to games it has been as much about Withdean as anything. Did the Gillingham trips too. I know five of my cricket side who have, along with myself been counting down the days to falmer so as to rekindle what in realty is always there. As for Sky, i only have it for cricket. I am interested in all things football but if a premiership game is on at same time as cricket then the cricket wins hands down

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have to say, I agree with so much on this thread, especially Brovian's contribution. So funny, yet sadly so true.

Football is now a passive, sterile and souless experience. When the terraces were bulldozed the excitement, passion and humour were turned to dust, too. Terraces made football unique. Even if I ever sat in the seats, I'd spend much of the game watching the ebb and flow on the terraces. It was often more entertaining than anything happening on the pitch.

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
If you want a snapshot of part of the reason why people are pissed off with the modern game read Insider's "Any STH's having problems booking online?" thread. Jeez that is DEPRESSING. It's all "Just enter your credit car number, fan number and post code. Well try it again in capitals. And no spaces. Once in enter the twelve digit reference numbers for all the family and friends accounts to which you wish to link remembering that Gold STHs can't link to White members who have previously been in a relationship with a Blue member and where two of the group are under sixteen. White members who haven't had their accounts validated by the Ticket Office can't be linked in with a Gold member and linking to a member of Gully's Gang is probably illegal. And Blue and White members who haven't bought at least one ticket on-line in the past twelve months can't do anything as you've been deleted from the database and the system won't recognise you, so you'll have to re-apply. Contact the Ticket Office for a form. Once you've got past that stage enter the number of tickets you wish to purchase remembering that Gold members can buy twice as many as a Blue member providing that the preceeding White member only ordered the same quantity as the linked Gold member. Oh, and if the while thing hangs or dumps you out after you've done all this it's because it's busy, so try later."

How did we come to this? It's only a game of football.

:clap2: that is absolute genius and sums it up. How did it get like this,? Well I was called a luddite for wanting to pay with cash on turnstile. That is how it came to this. Toi the fella who said hat, read this post and understand. To the club, read this post and deal by listening to your customer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here