Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I need to buy a Laptop - ADVICE Please.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Go for a Centrino based Acer, eg 803LMI. I have bought 5 over the past year (for myself and my students) to replace desktops. We go in for heavy number crunching and visualisation work and these machines have proved very capable for this. Faster than a comparable Dell, better build and will handle most things easily. Wireless is usefull as they probably have hot spots on the campus and the DVD writer is really usefull (not just for videos!). Battery life is excellent (I can get above 6 hours when word processing only), graphics beats many desktops and the screen is really clear. Acer support is also very good, but DO NOT BUY FROM Technomatic.

Dell use some non-standard hardware which can be problematic. Many of my colleagues buy these but our tech support guy does have many problems with them. Tech support from Dell is good, he says, but its better if you don't have to use it in the first place.

I've had AJP and Higrade machines in the past and they were good value for money but not as durable or well built as the Acer.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I got through to Dell tech support in 10 mins - unsuprisingly, she was Indian, but she got it fixed in about 15 mins. Vaios do look cool, mind

Neon Light

Jan 8, 2004
I am afraid I know nothing about laptops but if you want some advice you should call my mate Steve who has his own computer company called Teknophobia. E-mail: steve@teknophobia.com or call 01273 306284 / 07773 667156.
He will be more than pleased to quote/advise a fellow Albion fan.
Mention Chris and the Albion and he might even buy me a pint for the referral!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
If you don't mind driving to London, I can recommend a little shop on Abbey Street, Bermondsey, London, SE16. You drive up to the Elephant and Castle, turn on to the New Kent Road, then up Tower Bridge Road and turn into Abbey Street, and go almost up to the end. If you want a printer, go to Cartridge World in East Grinstead. My brother has just got a Mac, and he is head over heels with it. He is home from Japan at the moment. Are Macs particularly popular in Japan, Tokyo Seagull?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here