Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I need to buy a Laptop - ADVICE Please.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
For my sister who is about to start a degree.

(I have looked around, but not ever doing a degree myself, I would appreciate some advice from those that have).

I guess i'm concerned about it being nicked. The course is based in Eastboune - part of the Brighton University.

:)

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dell 1150. Cheap, undesirable for theives compared to other machines but still powerful enough for all normal usage, and low level gaming.

Dell 5150 - the above but more desirable to nick, and good for gaming.

You'll get loads of "noooo! don't get a Dell" responses, but the tech support is the best in the price range, the hardware is simplistic internally (and hence easier to repair and less likely to break), and they're indestructible - this is being posted from a late 1999 Latitude thats been dropped 15 feet before.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Oh, and believe me on the hardware side of it - I have to fix machines waaay too often for it to be fun anymore, and Dell's are easy to open, have full, free service manuals and pretty interchangable parts. And the plastic on them is very, very strong compared to some, HP in particular.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I got an Inspiron from Dell, pretty much entry-level, but does everything I need and more, as long as you´re not planning to run Unreal Tournament or Quake or whatever on it. It´s only gone wrong once, and one call to their helpline fixed it perfectly.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If its a recent Inspiron, both Unreal Tournament (1999) and Quake (1995) will run well on it :)

I should have specified Dell Inspiron 1150 and Dell Inspiron 5150

If they still have Inspiron 1100 and 5100 clearence offers, they're good too

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Would well recommend Dell, have a desktop of theirs at home and a C400 laptop at work.

Very tidy, always work, light and convenient to carry. Would recommend one of the new laptop locks we were all given as well, amazing how many laptops aren't stolen now.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
MYOB said:
If its a recent Inspiron, both Unreal Tournament (1999) and Quake (1995) will run well on it :)

I should have specified Dell Inspiron 1150 and Dell Inspiron 5150

If they still have Inspiron 1100 and 5100 clearence offers, they're good too

It´s an 1100 - I meant the newer Quake and Unreal, it objects to the latter

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Beach Hut said:
Would recommend one of the new laptop locks we were all given as well, amazing how many laptops aren't stolen now.

/me points out that he can remove a Kensington (laptop lock system) lock in three minutes without damaging either the laptop or the lock. By using a spanner, a needle and a biro.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
Thanks guys - alot.

Gaming isn't on her agenda. Just something she can use when the Uni's facilities are closed.

(i.e. at 1am after the student bar has shut & stuff needs to be handed in at 9am).

:)

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
If its going to be used a lot running of the battery I would suggest going for one with a Centrino proccessor rather than a Pentium 4, as the pentium 4 chip can be quite power hungry at times.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
MYOB said:

You'll get loads of "noooo! don't get a Dell" responses, but the tech support is the best in the price range...

I think Dell machines are great (this is being typed on a Dell) but you're having a laugh about tech support. They're the worse tech support that I've ever come across. They're solid machines but if anything goes wrong, be prepared to wait for an over an hour (at national rates) while tech support takes your call. My record is about an hour and a half...and I only wanted to order a spare part.

You're right about indestructible though. A bookshelf fell on my Inspiron and it's still going strong.

I have a Vaio as my main laptop now, they're pricier but they're extremely light - a major recommendation for a laptop. I haven't had to ring tech support yet so I can't tell how good they are.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Can I suggest an Apple PowerBook.

No Windows, therefore no viruses, spyware or Blue Screens of Death. Unix based OS, threfore stability is guaranteed.

The Aqua GUI is better than Windows, and is more intuitive once you've got used to it. You can spec it with Wireless, Bluetooth, etc, so portability isn't an issue.

Plus with a PowerBook, you stand out as being different.

Have a gander at Switching from Windows to Mac.

Last edited:

If your worried about theft get a kensington lock for the laptop. All laptops have a place for this to connect to to hook it physically to something. Not the toughest security but certainly a deterant for the casual thief.

If you want something more solid to secure it speak to: www.loxit.com - They provide some great products at very competetive prices....great service too.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
comet have a good offer on for a laptop for 600 quid. dell have one for 580 but this is not as good, however the dell offer is about to expire

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Tokyo Seagull said:
Can I suggest an Apple PowerBook.

No Windows, therefore no viruses, spyware or Blue Screens of Death. Unix based OS, threfore stability is guaranteed.

The Aqua GUI is better than Windows, and is more intuitive once you've got used to it. You can spec it with Wireless, Bluetooth, etc, so portability isn't an issue.

Plus with a PowerBook, you stand out as being different.

Have a gander at Switching from Windows to Mac.

Or indeed an iBook. They're cheaper and more robust than PowerBooks but are still plenty powerful enough for uni. I have one and it is utterly BRILLIANT - will be taking it with me to Uni for sure

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Beware of Dell 'offers' which are usually for a machine which has the basic stuff to get you going. You will invariably have to pay extra for a decent amount of memory, graphics/sound cards, software.

Having said that, Dell are well worth a look. I've got 2 desktops and an Inspiron 5150 and they are brilliant machines.

The tech support IS very good, as long as you accept the fact that you WILL spend a long time getting thorugh and a long time queueing for a techie.

:clap2:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I'm as anti-dell as anyone I know and love IBM's but in terms of value, Comet are doing a HP Pavillion for £600 at the moment, which is pretty good value for a branded laptop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here