Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I must be missing something ....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oooo, do tell!

Oh - its no secret - its mentionned on loads of threads on here over the years.

He is trying to visit every WETHERSPOONS pubs in the country. Oh yes.

He has a little book he ticks them off in, and that.

And I means EVERY one, including, for example, airside ones at airports :eek:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
From what he has said, he will still do the odd away game here and there, but wants to get a load of non league grounds done and a chunk of the GBG done.

He has never worked for BR, has the same profession as the Cardinal.

However those calling him weird and other things, get over yourselves, he is a decent fella and the football was his choice, you have yours.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He can't stand the bandwagoners apparently.

He preferred it when we were shit and had a hardcore of support...now he has to listen to a bunch of pricks who supported Man U until a few months ago telling him how loyal they are to the Albion.

Thats fairly hipocrytical for him to then change teams himself

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
From what he has said, he will still do the odd away game here and there, but wants to get a load of non league grounds done and a chunk of the GBG done.

He has never worked for BR, has the same profession as the Cardinal.

However those calling him weird and other things, get over yourselves, he is a decent fella and the football was his choice, you have yours.

Yep spoke to him a few times and admire his endurance. I don't find his little hobby odd at all, neither do I find odd his decision to give it up.

We really should celebrate people like that. He can actually tell people he did something rather than document his daily insignificance on Facebook or Twitter.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Doc, biggest Albion supporting legend bar none. Won't be the same at away games bumping into him at a spoons at 9 in the morning and then him trundling of on a local bus to a village nearby to do a pub in the GBG.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Doc stopped going to home games because he was so cheesed off with Bill Archer and David Bellotti, he had watched many consecutive home games too until that point.

Saturday at Tranmere was his 1,000th consecutive away game which has taken him over 40 years to rack up, he wanted to get to that milestone and may still come to some away games but just not every one now.

As someone asked, I know that his dedication meant that he even attended a midweek away game on the day of his mum's funeral and as UB has stated he has never worked for British Rail though he has often travelled with other younger Albion fans using a family railcard (and thereby helping them travel to away games cheaply too).

He is a top bloke but he just likes supporting football how it used to be which is why he's got interested in non-league football.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I was quite astounded by the article too, how could you give up the Albion for Lewes!! But then it got me thinking about the faces you do see regularly when you travel away with The Albion, but then there's always a majority you think you've never seen before.

Personally I've done between 6 and 15 away games every season since about 1990. The faces I see regularly who I don't really know (if that makes sense!) include: the fella who the article is about - he's always making notes in the programme; a mainly drunken group from Hastings; one of the current programme sellers with his family; a big geezer with glasses aged about 35 who always does a wanker sign at the opposition fans; a group of about 8 geezers, aged about 50, from Brighton, including one who is overweight and has a red face and looks like he's due a cardiac arrest; a fella who has a limp and a bald head who often goes with his son (both of them get quite lary); the father and (either) son or sons who sit at the back of Block D and talk too much crap every game; a big bloke in his early 30's with dark hair, who's about 6' 4"; and someone who I believe to be Lord B, who never looks like he's getting that excited!

Recognise yourselves?

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
I was a regular at away games from the mid 80s to about 93 and from then on until I emigrated did around half a dozen away games a season. These were the the times when you were one of around 200 at Oldham , Barnsley or Blackburn. Good luck to the lads and lasses who are living that life now. Enjoy it while it lasts because sooner or later , for most people , other priorities like mortgages and kids will take over.

Personally I have many very happy memories of those days and wouldn't change a thing about them. Would give a lot for one more old school day out on the train to the chilly north. Wonder if it would be the same now though? Apologies if this comes across a bit whimsical!

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
Saturday at Tranmere was his 1,000th consecutive away game which has taken him over 40 years to rack up, he wanted to get to that milestone and may still come to some away games but just not every one now.

Saturday wasnt his 1000 consecutive away game it was his 40th year give or take a few days without missing an away game.
His 1000th away game was actually the 4-4 draw with Wycombe.

As for the Lewes thing that came out the wrong way, he will watch them occasionally at midweek home games after work not follow them home and away which the artical made out he was going to do.

I can see why he's decided to stop, he has under 50 grounds left to visit down to Step 6 (Sussex County League Div 2) of the football pyramid and plenty of Good Beer Guide pubs to visit so it does get rather boring watching Brighton at Tranmere for the 14th time of your life.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
nothing weird , sad or bad about it - if I could I would :) fair play to him , and congrats - need more like him

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
I see him quite regularly at away games and also on the bus to the Tranmere game last week.
Had I known it was to be the last for a while I would have spoken to him. Shame!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here