Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I miss formula 1 on the BBC already!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
When the Beeb do sports they generally do it better than everyone else, Sky just has monopolised the content.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
David Croft is the best commentator since Murray Walker retired. Hugely impressed this morning with him and Brundle. He has pretty much everything walker had apart from the comedy and experience

This.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Skys coverage is very good

Sky, as they did for the football, have really upped the F1 ante. Their coverage is near brilliant with the exception of Damien Hill. He needs to get a bit of the David Coulthard sly sense of humour, which I doubt he has. Jake Humphries, Eddie Irvine and David Coulthard are better at the moment but the overall Sky package is exceptional. Certainly I have a better insight into the 2012 cars than I had with the 2011 cars last year.

TNBA

TTF

Jello Biafra

Aug 8, 2011
Motorsport is a bag of stale weasel semen and that's an objective fact. Go and do some gardening or rearrange your sock drawer, if you're wondering what to do with yourself.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
When the Beeb do sports they generally do it better than everyone else, Sky just has monopolised the content.

Completely disagree. Can't comment on the F1 as I find it dull as dishwater but I'm willing to bet Sky do justice as the rest of their sport coverage is superb. The BBC have been awful for several years now especially for football. All of their football programmes are awful, the worst being that dreadful football league show after MoTD. On the subject of MoTD that is rubbish now especially the Sunday night show. I know the Beeb haven't got any money but surely they can do better than some of the pundits and studio guests they have in? Gary Neville has been superb on Sky all season, he's insightful, knows the players and knows the modern game. Dinosaurs like Hansen and Lawrenson are just boring and packed up playing 20+ years ago when the game was massively different to what it is today.

I'm not a massive rugby fan but I think their coverage of the 6 nations is ok and I think their coverage of racing is good although I've seen they lost out to channel 4 there.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Hate sly to be honest, a necessary evil.
Great coverage to be fair, and a great result. Could be a decent year for a change.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Completely disagree. Can't comment on the F1 as I find it dull as dishwater but I'm willing to bet Sky do justice as the rest of their sport coverage is superb. The BBC have been awful for several years now especially for football. All of their football programmes are awful, the worst being that dreadful football league show after MoTD. On the subject of MoTD that is rubbish now especially the Sunday night show. I know the Beeb haven't got any money but surely they can do better than some of the pundits and studio guests they have in? Gary Neville has been superb on Sky all season, he's insightful, knows the players and knows the modern game. Dinosaurs like Hansen and Lawrenson are just boring and packed up playing 20+ years ago when the game was massively different to what it is today.

I'm not a massive rugby fan but I think their coverage of the 6 nations is ok and I think their coverage of racing is good although I've seen they lost out to channel 4 there.

Football isn't the only sport in the world....

The tennis Aussie open and French open is very good as is Wimbledon. Much better than sky's daily coverage.
Rugby is generally very good and much better than Sky
Golf is better than sky, even if you find Pete Allis (sp) a bit annoying
Formula 1 was better on BBC imo and I thought the highlight show was well put together.

As soon as sky goes tit's up when Al Jazzera start invading the market I can see more sport coming back to freeview.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The tennis Aussie open and French open is very good as is Wimbledon. Much better than sky's daily coverage.
Formula 1 was better on BBC imo and I thought the highlight show was well put together.

As soon as sky goes tit's up when Al Jazzera start invading the market I can see more sport coming back to freeview.

You forgot, no adverts on BBC. I haven't seen F1 on Sky but I bet there are LOADS of advert breaks, maybe not during the race but before and after. Still annoying, whenever they are. BBC wins hands down on not having ANY ad breaks :thumbsup:

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
You forgot, no adverts on BBC. I haven't seen F1 on Sky but I bet there are LOADS of advert breaks, maybe not during the race but before and after. Still annoying, whenever they are. BBC wins hands down on not having ANY ad breaks :thumbsup:

Very true, and something that is really taken for granted by the viewers. With the BBC, in an hour, you're going to get 60 mins of sport/sport related coverage, with the other channels you're looking at 40-45 minutes. Big difference. Especially with something like Golf, Tennis and other long sports, in 4 hours you could only end up seeing 3 hours of coverage where as with the Beeb you're guaranteed the full 4 hours.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I appreciate that, hence why I gave rugby and racing a mention. That said though it's the only sport that anyone really cares about isn't it? And the BBC are awful at it now.

To be honest though the only rugby I watch is the 6 nations so I can't really comment on Sky's effort. I disagree about golf, I think Sky do it superbly. Tennis is for board housewives so couldn't tell you if their coverage is any good or not. Sky's cricket coverage is brilliant.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I appreciate that, hence why I gave rugby and racing a mention. That said though it's the only sport that anyone really cares about isn't it? And the BBC are awful at it now.

To be honest though the only rugby I watch is the 6 nations so I can't really comment on Sky's effort. I disagree about golf, I think Sky do it superbly. Tennis is for board housewives so couldn't tell you if their coverage is any good or not. Sky's cricket coverage is brilliant.

It may be for you, however I love pretty much all sport, part of the reason I don't have sky is that i'll be in the house all day watching sport as Sky has so much. However the quality of the service that is provided considering the money invested isn't that great when you look at the Beeb. Admittedly they need to improve their football coverage, but football is difficult as most of the pundits are all ex pro's who are generally thick as shit. You can't present well and provoke discussion if the person opposite you can't add 2+2 together.

Sky have the Autumn Internationals in the Rugby and I must say I much prefer the Beeb's coverage of the six nations to this. The golf I can't really comment on, only the events that are shown on BBC, these events are better than what sky can produce, especially the Masters which last year I had to sit through 2 days of Montgomery and Butch Harmon, give me Allis any day of the week.

D

Deleted member 22389

Seems like I wont be missing out by not having Sky. I sorted out the LNB on my sat dish, reset channels and I am able to watch F1 on the German channel RTL when it is not being shown on the BBC.

Ok its in German, but its better than nothing at all.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Seems like I wont be missing out by not having Sky. I sorted out the LNB on my sat dish, reset channels and I am able to watch F1 on the German channel RTL when it is not being shown on the BBC.

Ok its in German, but its better than nothing at all.

The BBC highlights are actually very decent, OK it's not live, but you only miss out on about 20 laps of the race. You get about 1hour racing and half hour build up/reflection.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I generally find beeb sportts coverage, what little they have left, not very inspiring. I generally like the way Sky Sports do things. Last evening, I was watching all 4 sky sports channels at the same time, as I was very interested in the Cricket (Aus/WI ODI), the PGA Golf last round, the Tennis final and the Real Madrid game. First time I can remember a clean-sweep of good stuff across their channels at the same time.

D

Deleted member 22389

The BBC highlights are actually very decent, OK it's not live, but you only miss out on about 20 laps of the race. You get about 1hour racing and half hour build up/reflection.

Trouble is I would need to stay away from Internet, Radio and TV otherwise I can guarantee someone will let you know what the result was.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Have to pick you up on this. There were very few adverts on Sky. Nothing during the race and certainly nothing 10 minutes either side of the race either.

Thus far its an improvement on BBC. Brundle is a better no.2. Croft was peerless on the radio last year and whilst he talked a bit too much yesterday (As most ex radio commentators do) he bounced off Brundle more than Legard ever did. No Eddie What can I say to be controversial Jordan :clap: and a watchable if banal magazine show.

Throw in the GP2 as well, the bird off sky sports news to stare at and Kravitz still doing his stuff - What more does anyone want? (apart from reduced fees)

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Agree with the OP - and dislike Sky to the point of excluding paying Media mogul Murdoch any of my money. Still the highlights on the Beeb was ok and my money goes on my ST instead which makes me feel much better :)

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
So the BBC are giving up all there sport it seems, Grand National now on channel 4, what sport will they have left Olympics and golf every now and then.

Why do we pay a TV licence we only get shit tv from them, crappy wanky soaps and some shit about people dancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here