Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I met two Arsenal STHs last night

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
It's going to be so shit next season if we're all surrounded by supporters who spend the whole afternoon worrying about Premiershit fixtures and commenting on the game in a Sky Sports style. I'd happily take a few thousand less seats sold if it reduced these idiots!

This. Maybe the club should give the new fans a sheet with the chants on before going into Falmer.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I spoke to an Arsenal fan from Worthing who goes regularly to the Emirates. He leaves before midday and gets back about 7.30-8pm so effectively the whole of his Saturday is wiped out, and it costs him about £80 in tickets and travel each time.

He's now thinking of getting his footy fix at Falmer, as you can leave home after lunch on a Sat, back by six with your evening ahead of you, get a great seat at a great stadium and see a decent match (hopefully), and it costs about £30.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Am amazed that anyone who is not from East London/South Essex or has family roots there can feel comfortable supporting West Ham. I quite like West Ham but they always seem a very local sort of club.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
:ascarf::ascarf::ascarf::ascarf:

And it certainly makes a refreshing change for us to be taking support away from Premiershite teams.

Hopefully we won't be seeing so many kids around town with other club's shirts on cos you can bet that loads of our "new" supporters will want Brighton shirts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
who both live in Brighton. They've always supported Arsenal, but keep popping up to the Amex to have a look and are now thinking about cancelling their arsenal season tickets and getting Brighton ones.
I know two Chelsea STHs who have 'dumped' them for us.

dumped, as in actually cancelled and buying Brighton STs, or just talk to humour you. sure, we'll gets lots of plastic fans and exiles that never/rarely go to the big Premiership (or others) taking up the offer to watch real football, but i really can't see a Arsenal or Chelsea STH turning into a Brighton STH overnight.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
This. Maybe the club should give the new fans a sheet with the chants on before going into Falmer.

Or lets go with your idea, and have a few thousand empty seats and not let in any new fans. Who cares about the added income to keep the club afloat and re-pay TB, who cares about taking this club forward.
Jesus wept.

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
who both live in Brighton. They've always supported Arsenal, but keep popping up to the Amex to have a look and are now thinking about cancelling their arsenal season tickets and getting Brighton ones. Now I've never really understood how you can change your allegiance so easily but surely this shows how easily the season tickets should sell out? There must be LOADS of people like this.

I have worked in the heart of Arsenal territory for 10 years most of their supporters are arrogant smug sh*ts when they win and are sad and excuse ridden when they lose, e.g. every conversation in pubs have been about VP's sending off costing them the tie....

Thing is if you can only cope with being the best in their world, then in a situation where it isnt going to happen, life is unbearable. Particularly when tottenham do better in europe.

Whereas Brighton on the march playing bright lovely football in the no1 state of the art stadium is a perfect match. Have not read other posts because I support they no doubt will be whingeing about our support being watered down by new fans. but in a stadium like Amex with good acoustics us real fans will create the atmosphere and this sitting together situation which led to groups getting blocks of tickets will help loads with the atmosphere, and may involve the new fans......?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm sure as per usual Sky Sports will get the blame for all these Sussex people supporting Premiership teams - but as I've said before it's not a new phenomena. Back in the 1970s I used to work with a bloke, Sussex born and bred, who was a Spurs STH. He took an interest in the Albion when Clough became manager and became a West Stand STH when one of his old heroes, Mullery, became manager.

The acid test will be when we hit a rough patch. Will the JCLs stay or go back to their original clubs? My mate never really had to make the choice - he died just before the Cup Final.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Have to say I am gobsmacked by these elitist supporters that would rather the stadium shut its doors on new fans, exiles or disaffected returning. I'm a disaffected fan that has bought a season ticket and found my way back and am willing to travel in the opposite direction from London to Brighton for home games to see my team. I am also considering the away games I shall go to next term too, going to try and do at least a dozen, if not more. And as a 40 year fan I am really pleased to see new fans finding their way to the Albion, and long may it continue.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I stopped watching the Albion halfway through the first year at Gillingham. But stopping watching is not stopping supporting. I have a very valid personal reason for stopping going. I have been to Withdean on quite a few occasions, but found it difficult to get tickets at first (couldn't afford season ticket back then) I suppose after finding it difficult to get tickets, I lapsed into not going unless the opportunity presented itself. If I am being totally honest, I didn't realise tickets have been readily available, until I joined here. I don't like the term JCL for people like myself who have just been able to afford season tickets because of the monthly payments. Anyone who stood in the North stand in the section nearest to the away fans during the 80s/early 90s will know me, and without doubt any of the old Portslade mob in the North stand. I am just glad that people are coming back to witness a fantastic new era for us all.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
You'd think some fans would rather we stayed at Withdean when you read garbage saying its going to be crap with new supporters in the ground. The fact is that good facilities make going to football an attractive proposition whoever you support if there is no other local league fare on offer. If we reach the prem then we'll sell out 30k if we get the extra capacity, if we float around mid table championship then we have about the right amount now.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's just self obsessed arrogance gully, pay no attention.
I disagree, I think it's a useful shorthand expression to cover the people who are switching to the Albion who have never previously given us the time of day, it doesn't cover people like Gully who are returning to the fold. It's 'Johnny Come Lately' not 'Johnny Coming Back'. A little bit sneering maybe, but I wouldn't call it 'self obsessed arrogance'.

I've been watching Brighton since 1966 but over the last few years I've definitely been a part-time, fairweather (literally) fan and an unashamed BGC (Big Game Charlie). No doubt those who sat through every boring, miserable game at Withdean will consider me little better than a JCL - but frankly I don't give a toss.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You've pretty much summed up what I said with different words Brovion. And a little longer explanation :wink:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There are some people getting very precious about absolutely nothing here. No-one in this thread has said they want the club to completely close the door to new fans. I started this thread to highlight a positive and those moaning are clearly insecure or something!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's going to be so shit next season if we're all surrounded by supporters who spend the whole afternoon worrying about Premiershit fixtures and commenting on the game in a Sky Sports style. I'd happily take a few thousand less seats sold if it reduced these idiots!

There are some people getting very precious about absolutely nothing here. No-one in this thread has said they want the club to completely close the door to new fans. I started this thread to highlight a positive and those moaning are clearly insecure or something!

hmmm...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It's not just Prem supporters buying STs, I have a whole load of friends and family who I have generally discouraged from coming to Withdean. They are already getting excited at the prospect of going to one or two games at Falmer next season - none of them are Brighton fans, but they have been following the stadium development for years, and have a soft spot for the Albion via me. At last I can take them to a Brighton game without a sense of embarrassment. I'm sure the same applies to many others, probably thousands.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here