I know nobody is interested, but...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ecuador

Atacames (North Coast Beach Resort)
Banos (Volcanic Region - Touristy town)
The Old Town (Worth wandering around for a while. Don't get put off staying for a short while by the modern parts of Quito)

I worked on this project... www.bellavistacloudforest.com - Main page a little bit pricy, but an incredible place to stay and wander about the cloudforest.

Riobamba was quite cool, but I did go there during carnivale time, so it might be a bit dead.

Trying to think of more names and places - shall probably get back to you on this.

Australia wise, I would definitely recommend doing Fraser Island. I hooked up with 6 other random people and we hired a jeep. It was run through the backpacker place in Hervey Bay (Koala's). One thing that I didn't like about Australia was that you tend to meet only tourists. Oooh, Byron Bay and Nimbin are a must.

Cheers BOF, I'll have a look into that now. Did you go to the Galapagos when you were in Equador? And can you speak Spanish? Was this an issue there?

I've done Oz before so fine for that, only going there because I need to change in Sydney to get to Asia, so it would be rude not to spend a couple of weeks there.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I can't be the only one who thinks 'Master and Commander' whenever I see Commander's posts on here........can I? ???

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Cheers BOF, I'll have a look into that now. Did you go to the Galapagos when you were in Equador? And can you speak Spanish? Was this an issue there?

I've done Oz before so fine for that, only going there because I need to change in Sydney to get to Asia, so it would be rude not to spend a couple of weeks there.

I ran out of cash for a Galapagos trip :(

Learning Spanish is pretty much essential. Six of us were arrested for being in a park after a curfew. La Polizia spoke no English and we were under armed guard for about 5 hours. The issue was, apart from the curfew, it is illegal not to carry round ID, but our passports were with the British embassy to gain our voluntary visa stamps. :D Would have been much simpler if someone had more than a basic grasp of the language. Plus, booking things like buses and giving directions to taxi drivers is a must.

You could think about doing spanish school out there. We spent two weeks with a one-on-one teacher, early morning sessions with the rest of the day free. It was great fun and invaluable, certainly an experience and better than learning from a textbook or phrase book. My teacher was awesome and we used to escape from the classroom and he would take me to meet his friends for a beer or three. Learning out in the field, as it were.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
Flights were about £1850, reckon I need about 8K spending money. Budgeted 10K in total.

Am now living on pasta and water for the next five months.

my mate runs an travel agency & coz im bored and dont care, I got quoted £1450.

Enjoy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
my mate runs an travel agency & coz im bored and dont care, I got quoted £1450.

Enjoy.

Think that is without the taxes.

Booked it now anyway so don't care!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
i know, why would you want so save a few hundred £££

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
i know, why would you want so save a few hundred £££

Well I cant save it as I have already paid for it. So I don't care.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Sounds a nice trip - you'll need to suck it up for the last leg, though - India at the end of a trip (when you've got used to all that tropical-beach-and-a-hammock stuff) could seem like tough going for the first couple of days! No worries if you know it's coming, though: superb place. And the Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam loop is going to be pretty good, too; I envy you. Have fun.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You're right! I am really, I'm hooked to this thread.

I'm jealous, I need to go travelling soon. Give it a couple of years I will. I've heard Cambodia is the BEST!

DJB1975

Jul 9, 2009
London
I have just booked myself a little trip abroad...

06DEC Heathrow - Madrid 17:35 - 20:55
10DEC Madrid - Quito 12:00 - 17:10
08FEB Ushuaia - Buenos Aries 11:05 - 14:33
09FEB Buenos Aries - Sao Paulo 11:05 - 13:55
05APR Buenos Aries - Sydney 14:05 - 17:50
11APR Sydney - Brisbane 10:05 - 11:35
22APR Brisbane - Hong Kong 11:10 - 18:10
25APR Hong Kong - Bangkok 14:25 - 16:25
15MAY Bangkok - New Delhi 17:25 - 19:45
05JUN Mumbai - Heathrow 13:15 - 18:20

:clap2:

Advice / tips for any of the places mentioned would be appreciated.

Make sure you check out Melbourne, blows Sydney out of the water

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I have just booked myself a little trip abroad...

06DEC Heathrow - Madrid 17:35 - 20:55
10DEC Madrid - Quito 12:00 - 17:10
08FEB Ushuaia - Buenos Aries 11:05 - 14:33
09FEB Buenos Aries - Sao Paulo 11:05 - 13:55
05APR Buenos Aries - Sydney 14:05 - 17:50
11APR Sydney - Brisbane 10:05 - 11:35
22APR Brisbane - Hong Kong 11:10 - 18:10
25APR Hong Kong - Bangkok 14:25 - 16:25
15MAY Bangkok - New Delhi 17:25 - 19:45
05JUN Mumbai - Heathrow 13:15 - 18:20

:clap2:

Advice / tips for any of the places mentioned would be appreciated.

In the middle of doing the Asia part of this trip so if you need any up to date info on Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia PM me and ill try and help. Vietnam poos on everywhere - 3000 dong (10p) for a beer....

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Presumably the above is intentional and you'll be travelling over land back from SP to BA?

Yep, via Manaus. (Seems like a strange way around I know but it makes sense)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here