Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "aspirations"

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Not that I agree with it but the club are building a platform for when we hit the top division
It is better to bring in such a scheme now rather than wait until it is on top of us
If we had gone up this season getting tickets for London games would be a lottery
I think the club are looking for something extra than just loyalty points and I sort of agree as there is no differentiation sometimes between people on the same points boundaries
Of course it is a money making exercise but who can blame the club to maximize this now with the large numbers we are seeing though the gates
It is all about the future and the expectations of reaching the Premier League

Then why not introduce smaller bands. Start with STH's plus 10 away games, then drop it to STH + 5 Away games and so on. It works perfectly at every other club.

The ONLY reason for doing it is to squeeze yet more money out of people.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
I was as angry as everyone else after reading HT's post but you make a valid point; the membership scheme will make sense when we are in the prem and filing the ground most weeks, this could be seen as a trial and error season to have a well run, efficient system in place for the PL.

Saying all that, the current loyalty points system would probably work just aswell in the PL; you go to more games, you get more points and are entitled to priority for big games.

If we play Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea away everyone will want to go, loyalty points will only be one factor who will get a ticket
Lots of people will have the required points and will be on a level playing field
The ones who have subscribed or who have spent more in the club shop/food/drinks will be the ones rewarded to get a ticket

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Isn't this more or less what we had before the Amex though? We had to pay a certain annual fee to be a member, and depending on the level of membership you got different levels of priority for tickets?

Providing it is done fairly I wouldn't have too much problem with this - eg season tickets should automatically have the highest level of membership. But as someone who generally only makes a handful of games a season, I wouldn't have too much problem with paying say £10 a year to be a member and getting the lowest level of priority for members, but higher priority than general public.

On the other hand, it does seem a slightly worse/less fair way of doing things than loyalty points. I imagine this is a way of getting money out of away supporters rather than home, as supporters building up loyalty points from away matches doesn't benefit the club financially.

I'll wait and see what the actual details of the membership scheme are before I make a judgement.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Come on, ticketing should not need a season of trial and error. It's the most simple of things, most models are already used and can be plucked off of a shelf and implemented quickly.

Yeah, I agree with you in the main. I was only suggesting reasons why this scheme has been announced now:the timing seems terrible.

Regarding "aspiriations" does everyone read into that as: pay an extra £5/£10 (on top of your initial membership fee) and get priority for certain types of games. Irrelevent of how many other you've been to.

I.e first dibbes on fa cup 4th round games/playoff matches?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I do think this is completely the wrong time to be announcing a membership scheme and asking us to part with more of our dosh!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I was Barber, I would continue with the current loyalty points scheme but charge non-ST supporters a nominal fee to be a member. This latter point protects against memberships lying dormant/unused. Job done. Oh, and if I was Barber I would not wear a puffa jacket on my days off. It looks silly on a middle-aged short man.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If I was Barber, I would continue with the current loyalty points scheme but charge non-ST supporters a nominal fee to be a member. This latter point protects against memberships lying dormant/unused. Job done. Oh, and if I was Barber I would not wear a puffa jacket on my days off. It looks silly on a middle-aged short man.

and the CLACKERS?

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I just want to watch football, now I have to cconsider my Albion supporter "asp

Me too. My "aspirations" have been mostly covered by the fact that I have already paid up to sit in my preferred seat next season.

My other aspiration is to watch a team fighting a promotion battle. This will require a manager and possibly some new players who I would like to be available for pre-season if humanly possible. I think that should be the priority of Mr Barber and others right at this moment in time.

I don't want him involved in any aspect of the playing side of things. FFS.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's perfectly rational for any business to categorise its customers to suit their needs as best it can, that is what the Albion will be doing with these new membership schemes.

All seems perfectly sensible to me, and shows our growing reputation as one of the most competently run clubs in the land.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
So, the way I see it is that there are three main issues for PB to grapple with (on this topic):

1) Need to maximise revenue (and minimise costs) to meet FFP and provide the largest playing budget possible to maximise success on the field
2) Many fans/supporters/customers do have money available to put into the club above and beyond what they're currently giving. Why wouldn't he want to access that money?
3) Many fans/supporters/customers either do not have the money available &/or do not have the inclination to give any more.

So, the question for him is "How do I get the money from those in camp 2 without pissing off those in camp 3?" Clearly, those in camp 2 would want something in return for their extra money.

Serious question: What should he do?

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
On the back of a few suggestions above....some more potential money making wheezes...

Priority boarding for trains and buses
Access to rest areas( Oxygen extra) on the ascent to the WSU
Lift access to WSU on a pay as you go basis
'Baggage fee' if you bring anything into the ground
Print your own programme scheme - or its an additional charge for one at the ground.
Charge for cutlery for pies etc
Charge for plastic glasses to hold your half time drink in.

Any more?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm confused now. As a ST holder do I have to pay out the extra £30 to become a member or is the Loyalty Point Scheme still working. I thought that by being a ST Holder you got a Fan No. and this entitled you to order extra tickets for home cup / Play Off games an away games.

Has anything actually changed?

Sorry to be a numpty.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
On the back of a few suggestions above....some more potential money making wheezes...

Priority boarding for trains and buses
Access to rest areas( Oxygen extra) on the ascent to the WSU
Lift access to WSU on a pay as you go basis
'Baggage fee' if you bring anything into the ground
Print your own programme scheme - or its an additional charge for one at the ground.
Charge for cutlery for pies etc
Charge for plastic glasses to hold your half time drink in.

Any more?

'Freshen up for the ladies' service in the bogs

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
And does anyone find that last "if available" line a bit sinister, in a "join our you will lose out" sense?
Absolutely, and I should imagine that's how it's designed to make you feel also. For me, I can't afford to go to many games per season so if it involved extra money I believe I'll take my chances :thumbsup:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Am I the only one who thinks that Barber is simply at the wrong club?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here