Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] I hope this lot are very wrong!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For the last two seasons I got the 3 relegated teams spot on. This season I went for Norwich, Bournemouth, and Burnley. Close but no cigar, although I did think Sheff Utd would struggle but had them to survive as they seemed on a real crest of a wave at the end of last season.

Pre every season, Albion fans often seem to choose Burnley, Stains and Newcastle, and that extends into the autumn if they have a run of bad results. Becoming near certain of their demise.

Imho, under estimating:
Dyche - he’s a very good manager, even if we don’t warm to their attritional tactics.
Stains - an awful lot of quality in that squad, they’ve invested heavily. Redmond, Ings, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Romeu are exceptional players.
Newcastle - he may be a cnt, but since their relegation Ashley always invests in the first team just enough to make them mid-table.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Even worse, all but one of the 10/12 had Sheff Utd relegated! Clueless numpties.

Everyone had Sheffield Utd a# the first relagation Spot.........we all did. Why wouldn’t we have done that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Pre every season, Albion fans often seem to choose Burnley, Stains and Newcastle, and that extends into the autumn if they have a run of bad results. Becoming near certain of their demise.

Imho, under estimating:
Dyche - he’s a very good manager, even if we don’t warm to their attritional tactics.
Stains - an awful lot of quality in that squad, they’ve invested heavily. Redmond, Ings, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Romeu are exceptional players.
Newcastle - he may be a cnt, but since their relegation Ashley always invests in the first team just enough to make them mid-table.

Agree with this, but the bounce of this thread also illustrates issues with making predictions of the final table based on approx one-third of the season being played (something I need to work out of my system).
Your assessment of those three clubs is very good, although two things:
-- I'm not entirely convinced about Romeu, Hojbjerg on the other hand. Southampton really have had a season of two halves, and the second half very much coincides with Ings return to full fitness (after several injury-affected years). He's always been a brilliant forward (and, within that, finisher) and his goal return this season has been something else for a bottom half team (factor in also that he wasn't fully match fit for the first month or two of the season: still working his way back from injury)
-- Ashley also has done well in selecting managers. We all knew about Benitez but, and against my judgment at the time, we have to applaud what Bruce has done. Currently, Newcastle are looking a well-organised yet dangerous team: a good combination to have (and it's that fine balance we need to aim for).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
20th – Brighton – Brighton needed some good signings to keep them up this year but I can’t see much quality in their new arrivals. :yawn:

19th – Brighton – They needed to do more in the transfer market and will struggle again. :smokin:

19th – Brighton – Brighton were dangerously close to falling to the Championship last year and now with a new manager, unproven in the Premier League, I can only see the Seagulls taking the dive. :rotlf:

20th – Brighton – On the brink of relegation last season, can’t see them sticking around for another season.:mad:

19th – Brighton – The transformation in style from a new manager is a gamble, and I don’t think they can adjust in time without it seriously hurting them early on. :O

19th – Brighton – Ageing team. Inexperienced manager.:lolol:

18th – Brighton – Their squad is uninspiring and their manager isn’t experienced enough for the task ahead. Whilst Neal Maupay is a good coup, I don’t think it will be enough but they will come close to survival. :wanker:

19th – Brighton – Unconvinced with their signings, inexperienced manager. The writings on the wall. :p

19th – Brighton – Problem scoring goals and a lot will depend on how Maupay settles but Brighton they look short of goals again. :hilton:

19th – Brighton – I think Graham Potter is a decent manager, but don’t know if he can do much with the squad he has.:wrong:

19th – Brighton – Chris Hughton did NOTHING wrong. And Brighton will pay the price for not believing in him. The ultimate price. Relegation, shame and regret. :shootself

20th – Brighton – Think the board made a mistake sacking Chris Hughton and they will pay for it. :shrug:

19th – Brighton – Haven’t strengthened enough to keep them up. :cheers:

19th – Brighton – Unproven manager at this level. Think he’s going to struggle in the big leagues. :moo:

18th – Brighton – New Manager, will struggle to compete in my opinion. ???

All 15 pundits and every single one of them had us to be relegated....

Clueless :wanker:'s

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
20th – Brighton – Brighton needed some good signings to keep them up this year but I can’t see much quality in their new arrivals. :yawn:

19th – Brighton – They needed to do more in the transfer market and will struggle again. :smokin:

19th – Brighton – Brighton were dangerously close to falling to the Championship last year and now with a new manager, unproven in the Premier League, I can only see the Seagulls taking the dive. :rotlf:

20th – Brighton – On the brink of relegation last season, can’t see them sticking around for another season.:mad:

19th – Brighton – The transformation in style from a new manager is a gamble, and I don’t think they can adjust in time without it seriously hurting them early on. :O

18th – Brighton – Their squad is uninspiring and their manager isn’t experienced enough for the task ahead. Whilst Neal Maupay is a good coup, I don’t think it will be enough but they will come close to survival. :wanker:

19th – Brighton – Unconvinced with their signings, inexperienced manager. The writings on the wall. :p

19th – Brighton – Problem scoring goals and a lot will depend on how Maupay settles but Brighton they look short of goals again. :hilton:

19th – Brighton – I think Graham Potter is a decent manager, but don’t know if he can do much with the squad he has.:wrong:

19th – Brighton – Chris Hughton did NOTHING wrong. And Brighton will pay the price for not believing in him. The ultimate price. Relegation, shame and regret. :shootself

20th – Brighton – Think the board made a mistake sacking Chris Hughton and they will pay for it. :shrug:

19th – Brighton – Unproven manager at this level. Think he’s going to struggle in the big leagues. :moo:

Should pin this on the dressing room wall asap............

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Taking the league positions out of it and aside from Chris Hughton doing NOTHING wrong it would have been difficult to disagree with any of them at the start of the season IF you are honest with yourself and take your blue and white tinted specs off.

Sheff Utd being a perfect example. I'm sure if there is a thread on here from the start of the season most people would have had them for the drop. I know I would have/did.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Taking the league positions out of it and aside from Chris Hughton doing NOTHING wrong it would have been difficult to disagree with any of them at the start of the season IF you are honest with yourself and take your blue and white tinted specs off.

maybe, but all 15 pundits ?

"Ageing team. Inexperienced manager"

was my personal favorite....

Did we not field the youngest team recently, they clearly do not look at the big picture, like young talent coming through and the U23 squad that did so well the previous season, if your getting paid good money to be a pundit, I would expect a certain in depth knowledge, looking at the bigger picture, what we have done before and how we are going about evolving season on season all culminating in stepping up.

Nearly everyone of them probably held a grudge against us for daring to sack a manager, who everybody loves, failing to see that our results and performances were dire, and a change had to be made if we want to progress....

Little Ol'Brighton should be happy just to be here in the Premier League....

Pah, little ol'Brighton smashed Spurs and did the double over Arsenal...

Suck on that... overpaid pundits

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
It seems they all place far too much emphasis on whether a manager has experience in the PL! I don't think you need any experience in the PL. A good manager should be able to adapt to any league and Potter has managed successfully in the highest level in a different country plus has a masters degree in leadership and emotional intelligence, he knows what makes people tick and how to manage people, this side to Potter has been vastly underrated and ignored by many. I believe we will only get better under Potter as players buy into his style and ethos.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Most pundits are easily seduced by a club coming up from the Championship who play attractive attacking football and are sure that this courageousness will stand them in good stead. The reality is if you have a shit defence and do not strengthen significantly you are going down.

Norwich conceded 57 in their promotion season, they are going down.
Villa 61, probably going down (spent loads of money on forwards, and attacking mids, no defenders)
Sheffield United 41, staying up

Season before
Wolves 39, stayed up easily
Cardiff 39, went down
Fulham 46, went down (what football they played, so exciting, great to watch, cannot defend. Spent loads on midfielders and forwards, no defenders)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've had that tab open for months and went back to it the other day – I posted it in one of the Potter-related threads. I even went so far to tweet them and ask for any comments from their side (not something I'd normally do, but collectively they all got it so spectacularly wrong). Silence :lolol:

I think a lot of it seemed to be based on the fact that we'd got rid of CH and there was/is a lot of love for him in the footballing community. From a 'business' perspective though, it was the right call. I might be wrong (I have no stats on which to base it), but I think the Albion have bucked the trend of teams being promoted for the first time either going back down straight away or after the second season ( a few comments alluded to us being on the brink, so assumed we'd go this season). Three seasons survival in the PL is a pretty impressive feat, when you look at what they are up against. I know that the cash has been splashed, but – as has been seen so many times – that doesn't always count for everything. Experience of the league is paramount.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
maybe, but all 15 pundits ?

Well clearly....they all did.

"Ageing team. Inexperienced manager"

was my personal favorite....

Did we not field the youngest team recently, they clearly do not look at the big picture, like young talent coming through and the U23 squad that did so well the previous season, if your getting paid good money to be a pundit, I would expect a certain in depth knowledge, looking at the bigger picture, what we have done before and how we are going about evolving season on season all culminating in stepping up.

Yes absolutely. I assumed that comment was based on knowing we had Bruno and Murray and very little else about the squad.

Nearly everyone of them probably held a grudge against us for daring to sack a manager, who everybody loves, failing to see that our results and performances were dire, and a change had to be made if we want to progress....

Little Ol'Brighton should be happy just to be here in the Premier League....

Pah, little ol'Brighton smashed Spurs and did the double over Arsenal...

And therein is the big issue with these so called experts saying we were wrong to sack CH which obviously filters down to your average man on the street.....they hadn't watched the team week in week out. All if buts and maybes of course but I do believe we would have gone down this season under CH and even if we hadn't with VAR that would have been the catalyst for many to walk away from season tickets. I was bored rigid with the football aspect at the end of last season. I was only going for a day out with my pals.

But that aside it still was a gamble but a calculated one and Mr Bloom hasn't got where he is today by not knowing when to take a punt (I'm not saying he always gets it right, but he clearly is right more than he is wrong).

Suck on that... overpaid pundits

To be fair they aren't pundits. They are chaps that work for a bookmaker voicing their opinion on a blog post for said bookmaker.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Everyone had Sheffield Utd a# the first relagation Spot.........we all did. Why wouldn’t we have done that.

I didn’t. Because it seemed to me that Wilder had too much about him as a manager.

I had Norwich, Villa and Newcastle to go down.

However, I also had Liverpool to suffer a massive hangover from coming so close last season and to end up below Spurs! [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If you ignore the Brighton bit, it's amazing just how much they got wrong, like really wrong.

Given their website is essentially the football stock market, it doesn't give you much confidence that your football investments will be in good hands...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If you ignore the Brighton bit, it's amazing just how much they got wrong, like really wrong.

Given their website is essentially the football stock market, it doesn't give you much confidence that your football investments will be in good hands...

They don't make the picks for you??

I'm sure if you choose to punt with them your selections would be very safe......they might be losers but they would be safe.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
They don't make the picks for you??

I'm sure if you choose to punt with them your selections would be very safe......they might be losers but they would be safe.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Maybe I'm mistaken but I'd expect someone who knows the industry to have a better insight. That said, so many had us down to finish bottom across various football-centric sites, so...

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes, I'm aware of that. Maybe I'm mistaken but I'd expect someone who knows the industry to have a better insight. That said, so many had us down to finish bottom across various football-centric sites, so...

If they were traders then maybe but even then if it was that simple then the fav would win every time.

If you look at their job titles. Most of them are designers or in CRM. It would be like asking the same question on here.

I work in the same industry, doesn't make me any good at picking winners.......in any sport.....which I prove......regularly!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with this, but the bounce of this thread also illustrates issues with making predictions of the final table based on approx one-third of the season being played (something I need to work out of my system).
Your assessment of those three clubs is very good, although two things:
-- I'm not entirely convinced about Romeu, Hojbjerg on the other hand. Southampton really have had a season of two halves, and the second half very much coincides with Ings return to full fitness (after several injury-affected years). He's always been a brilliant forward (and, within that, finisher) and his goal return this season has been something else for a bottom half team (factor in also that he wasn't fully match fit for the first month or two of the season: still working his way back from injury)
-- Ashley also has done well in selecting managers. We all knew about Benitez but, and against my judgment at the time, we have to applaud what Bruce has done. Currently, Newcastle are looking a well-organised yet dangerous team: a good combination to have (and it's that fine balance we need to aim for).

I know exactly what you mean about Romeu. My take is that he was very good in that first season, great energy in CM. Then he fell away as Stains drifted with some awful results. But now by all accounts playing well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here