Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have...

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Its a real shitter when you get given a "D-Day" like that. Its exactly what we had here in the run-up to Christmas. Basically there are four in my team including me, we were told one of us would be going, and we'd find out who on December 19th.

We all got a time for our individual meetings - mine was the 2nd out of the 4. So there's all the speculation about whether the person with the last meeting would be the one to go etc etc. As it turned out, the fella who was first up was the one who got the boot, although I didn't know this as my meeting was immediately after his, and he walked past without saying a word on the way back from his.

Gutted for him, I'd worked with him for about 4 years, nice fella (a Brentford STH). Theres no "good" way of doing it I suppose. Its the waiting around to find out thats the killer.

Good luck squire.

Sorry to hear that Easy, at least it missed you this time. Thanks for the good wishes.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I've been out of work for 2 months now so I have signed up for a college course, it should give me another option when looking for work. Luckily I was able to pay off the mortgage with redundancy and pension fund money so no immediate panic over jobs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We've already had one dreaded cull where 6 went between two locations.

Sadly I expect another one in March / April or earlier........

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
A dozen went from our office just before Christmas (lovely present for them that was!). We've been told that they don't have plans for any more, but we all have meetings with the director over the next couple of weeks to explain exactly what we do.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Keep your chin up people. I've had 7 redundancies in my time, and I've always found a better job.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Keep your chin up people. I've had 7 redundancies in my time, and I've always found a better job.
I'm not that far behind you and i'm half your age :lolol: Seriously though your right.While one door closes another one opens.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
spoke to a broker friend of mine several months ago and he was talking of 500billion gbp of bad debt gonna hit europe feb/march time.

had my own company, ceased trading as not making enough. was out of work for 6months with no help from goverment on my mortgage and with no savings it was a struggle.

will get worse before better......!!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm not that far behind you and i'm half your age :lolol: Seriously though your right.While one door closes another one opens.

You're older than 28.

I love this one! Philgull25 explains he has been made redundant and asks for advice, without even a hint of what field he is in. So E77 asks

What area do you (or at the moment not) work in?

and the reply is

Bristol, A city that is doing well atm. Just had a new inner city shopping centre opened and the firm i work for has been doing well upto about 2 months ago....

Absolute classic :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Somebody was telling me the other day that it won't get much worse than it is at the moment. They went on to say that the govenment are deliberately making it sound worse than it is so that they can improve their chances of re-election once they magically fix all of these problems.

You heard it here first!.

I don't quite know what it says about our politics, but this does sound plausible.
As it stands we had our own issues (inflated house prices and personel debt) but The US really landed this on us, and it's up to Obama (sp) to sort it out.
Which fortunately for Brown, should give him enough time to 'save the world' just before the next election.

As with most things you've got to look at sensational and very biased, pro or anti, media coverage.

I don't quite know what it says about our politics, but this does sound plausible.
As it stands we had our own issues (inflated house prices and personel debt) but The US really landed this on us, and it's up to Obama (sp) to sort it out.
Which fortunately for Brown, should give him enough time to 'save the world' just before the next election.

As with most things you've got to look at sensational and very biased, pro or anti, media coverage.

It's not particularly plausible, for a few reasons.

Chief among them is that I don't think we've seen the worst of the economic news yet. There's still goodness-knows-how-much 'bad' debt in the system, that's why banks continue to fill up their balance sheets and not lend money. The government are doing everything in their power to stop the correction in the savings ratio which we are currently undergoing; all they are ultimately going to end up doing is dragging it out for a longer period of time.

Also, employment downturns tend to lag 12-18 months behind output downturns, as jobs are 'sticky' i.e. once you've given a job to someone it's hard to take it away from them. I wouldn't expect any recovery from the economy (i.e. in output) until probably 2011 (although it may well stop falling in 2010), which means no recovery in employment until 2012.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Once Taylor-Wimpey go, most of the other big developers will follow suit, I know Barratts are under a lot of pressure because of there outstanding debts, and Persimmon are in the same position.

I think it will be the major developers over the next few months that will make up a large amount of the future unemployment figures.

Oh and by the way, if you did not know already, I was made redundant from a job i had been in for many years and that was with a major developer, trying to find ANY sort of employment is extremely difficult at the moment, and unfortunatly as time goes on it will get harder.

I wish everyone who is in the same position the very best of luck.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Once Taylor-Wimpey go, most of the other big developers will follow suit, I know Barratts are under a lot of pressure because of there outstanding debts, and Persimmon are in the same position.

I think it will be the major developers over the next few months that will make up a large amount of the future unemployment figures.

Oh and by the way, if you did not know already, I was made redundant from a job i had been in for many years and that was with a major developer, trying to find ANY sort of employment is extremely difficult at the moment, and unfortunatly as time goes on it will get harder.

I wish everyone who is in the same position the very best of luck.

I know Barretts have been in trouble for a while - they were looking for a 'crisis manager' back in May.

Legend

Prince Of Darkness
Jul 5, 2003
Lancing
I was made redundant in October having been with the compant since I left School (20 years) I did not know what to do.

The first thing you need to do is phone 0800 055 6688 to get your stamp paid while you are out of Work. I would imagine that you will qualify for Job Seekers allowance. This is approx £60 per week depending on circumstances. They will arrange a date and time to go to yor local Job Centre. You will then have a meeting with someone at job centre who will explain everything to you. In the meantime keep looking for jobs. Hope this helps.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's not particularly plausible, for a few reasons.

Chief among them is that I don't think we've seen the worst of the economic news yet. There's still goodness-knows-how-much 'bad' debt in the system, that's why banks continue to fill up their balance sheets and not lend money. The government are doing everything in their power to stop the correction in the savings ratio which we are currently undergoing; all they are ultimately going to end up doing is dragging it out for a longer period of time.

Also, employment downturns tend to lag 12-18 months behind output downturns, as jobs are 'sticky' i.e. once you've given a job to someone it's hard to take it away from them. I wouldn't expect any recovery from the economy (i.e. in output) until probably 2011 (although it may well stop falling in 2010), which means no recovery in employment until 2012.

The policy of borrowing to get through is doomed to failure. The tax system also runs many months behind so companies/individuals that made good profits in 2007/early 2008 now have the bills to pay and many are going under so are unable to pay. All these 'profits' are on the government's books, so to speak, but how much bad debt could there be?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No suprise there, they are absolutley f***ing shit.

I am sure my dad will be on here later to give you the reasons why.
Barratts are completely amateurish at a local level. We bought a house from them in 2000 , we had no mortgage to arrange and did a part-exchange to pay off the existing mortgage on the old house. I personally think they thought we were going to pull out at the last minute and after we exchanged contracts they started to shit their pants as they knew the house wouldn't be finished on time. You know how ridiculous things are when you start the snagging list and end up with over 180 snags , the majority of which should have been done BEFORE we moved in. If Barratts went down the shitter I would just :lolol: and :wave: to the lot of them.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Register yourself with as many agencies as possible, make sure your CV's up to date and look online.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here