Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have just bought an iMac

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Both our pc and our laptop in this house are driving us potty - very slow and to be honest the pc is getting on a bit....can't justify the extra to move to apple though - simple fact of life!

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Looks good - you've run it and recommend it?

Used it a lot of various PCs at various places I've worked at. I have tried a lot of different bits of tuning software and this is the best. It will get a lot more power out of your machine. Do check what it wants to delete as it can be a tad over zealous.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was taken into this dream world where a pretty young assistant arranged the sale and set the thing up and made me and my children feel like we were the only people in the whole shop
Buy a faster PC, spend a little getting a massage and you'll feel like you're the only people in the world, and get home with a load of spare cash.

Loving mine too ...after years of microsoft I moved to apple a far more intuitive o/s
Bootcamp and parallels give me access to any windows requirements (which is less and less these days).
Although there is often some important software I couldn't run with Apple, it's not the operating system that keeps me on PCs, it's the fact I can build a faster, better quality machine, for a lot less money. I don't care for any brand, I just want high quality at the lowest price.
Mac is the only way. You PC advocates can continue to make cups of tea while you wait for your PC to switch on/off and spend most of your time updating your anti virus.
Speak of your own experiences, probably after buying some hump of junk from Currys. Granted, PCs can become slow dinosaurs if you don't know what you're doing, so if you got plenty of cash and want to walk into a shop and get something pretty, Apples are a good choice.

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
If you really know what your doing a PC can be as good if not better than an Mac. If like most people you do not, then it is worth spending the extra on a mac as you will find it works for years without slowing down.

You turn it on and it works just like when you first took it out the box!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If you really know what your doing a PC can be as good if not better than an Mac. If like most people you do not, then it is worth spending the extra on a mac as you will find it works for years without slowing down.

You turn it on it works just like when you first took it out the box!
Exactly

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

I'd like to learn how to "know what you're doing" but where does one start? I'd prefer not to have to buy a new computer but haven't a clue where to start!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

The reason PCs slow down is that because they vastly outnumber Macs they are targets for Spam, Virus's and Spyware. Using that toll I showed to Tedebear takes care of that. It#s free and can be run along side any other apps. PCs crash mainly due to bad drivers used by dodgy hardware. It's now quite rare however, I have two Windows 7 boxes that have never crashed. Macs are undoubtedly easier to use but yes, they do go wrong sometimes.

You can upgrade a PC, you can't really do that with a Mac. Of course the chances are you won't need to. Whether Macs are worth paying more for is a moot point though. The old tale of how superior they are to PC when it comes to graphics is no longer true. Most companies retain Macs because of legacy issues. Where I'm working now they are not replacing Macs with Macs but with high powered PCs which still work out cheaper and far more compatible for many of the apps the organisation used.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm just checking out prices on the app store, and comparing to dell laptops.

You can buy a brand new dell 15" laptop for £289.
The cheapest 15" macbook you can buy is £1549 (it's much better, but that's the cheapest).

More comparable hardware:

MacBook - £1,849
2.2GHz i7
4GB ram
15" 1440x900 display
750GB HD
1GB 6750M

Dell - £829
2nd gen i7-2670 2.2GHz to 3.1GHz
6GB ram
15.6" 1366x768 display
750GB HD
2GB GT 540M

Is the Macbook better - I should bloody hope so, it's more than twice the price for slower hardware.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd like to learn how to "know what you're doing" but where does one start? I'd prefer not to have to buy a new computer but haven't a clue where to start!
That's a fair question. I sympathise with those that buy new PCs and a couple of years later find they're slow. The easiest way is to have a geeky friend who'll help.

When it is time for a new PC, and if you fancy being geeky yourself, look online how to build your own PC (maybe get a friend to help the first time you do it) and you'll learn a lot and realise it's much simpler than you'd have imagined. There'll be a load of geeks on this forum, and conveniently in the Brighton area, you could probably get someone here to help you.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a bit like the choice of bonking a £50 or a £100 whore. Ultimately they do the same but one looks better and will impress your mates more.

I have two iMacs, (one lost on Friday in divorce settlement) a MacBook Pro, MacBook and a Windows Tablet PC, but the latter is the most versatile, and is brilliant for teaching.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
She can take your iMac, but she'll never take your freedom!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Out of interest any idea what to do when an iMac does slow down? Photoshop CS5 is grinding a bit. Would updating to Lion help?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
It's a bit like the choice of bonking a £50 or a £100 whore. Ultimately they do the same but one looks better and will impress your mates more.

I have two iMacs, (one lost on Friday in divorce settlement) a MacBook Pro, MacBook and a Windows Tablet PC, but the latter is the most versatile, and is brilliant for teaching.

Bloody hell she actually stipulated in a divorce settlement she wanted the iMac? Material girl comes to mind...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bloody hell she actually stipulated in a divorce settlement she wanted the iMac? Material girl comes to mind...
He had 2! Fair enough really, and it's not just material, it's all the data on there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here