Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I have a mental problem

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm pretty shit at science but surely, theoretically you'd emerge feet first...but only if you had the amazing ability to climb a 3,600 mile long ladder upside down. I reckon most right thinking people would get to the centre and turn themselves round so that they can climb the easy way and emerge head first.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Great Cornholio said:
come the very centre, you would need to turn round and climb up. But, in theory, you would keep going down and feet would be out first - especially if gravity wasn't involved.
But surely if you reach the centre of the earth and turn round to climb back up the part of the ladder you have just descended, then surely by definition you are just going straight back the way you came, and would emerge back in Blighty...?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
It would be bastard hard work, and according to that bit from google get harder the further away you move from the core once you've passed it, but surely you would emerge feet first.

You would be climbing 'up', because you are moving away from the centre, but your hands would be the last to come out.

Need to get working on your balance and your shoulder muscles Easy. I can lend you a spade if you want to start digging your hole.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
This is messing with my mind now I thought I could get away with not using any brain power today at work!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
But surely if you reach the centre of the earth and turn round to climb back up the part of the ladder you have just descended, then surely by definition you are just going straight back the way you came, and would emerge back in Blighty...?
Once you hit the centre, then basically, 'the only way is up'. So you climb 'up' for England, or you reverse you body poisition, and climb 'up' for the Antipodean point of emergence.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
The gravity at the centre of the planet (or the lack of it) would certainly mess with your mind. But once you are beyond the centre, your orientation would change.
So I would come out the other end gay?! :eek: :jester:

Easy 10 said:

Let me do a diagram
earth.JPG

This shows what happens if you turn 180 degrees at the very centre and start climbing up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Great Cornholio said:
Let me do a diagram
earth.JPG

This shows what happens if you turn 180 degrees at the very centre and start climbing up.
That is, frankly, the Post of the Day :clap:

I still don't get it though.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Our Science teacher told us that when at school, it was hard to understand it then

He also went on about if something was to travel faster than the speed of light. He said in theory if you travelled in something that travelled faster than the speed of light, you could watch yourself when you stopped. ???

Berty_G said:
Our Science teacher told us that when at school, it was hard to understand it then

He also went on about if something was to travel faster than the speed of light. He said in theory if you travelled in something that travelled faster than the speed of light, you could watch yourself when you stopped. ???

Perfectly right - light moves extremely fast but not instantly. But, if you believe Einstein (Or was it Newton) it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. Jean Luc Picard disagrees, mind.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
You're right Easy. You do have a mental problem.
Its not something I'm proud of, but I'm not going to start hiding behind it now. You'll just have to accept me as I am.

(you were looking well on Tuesday, btw)

:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Easy 10 said:
Its not something I'm proud of, but I'm not going to start hiding behind it now. You'll just have to accept me as I am.

(you were looking well on Tuesday, btw)

:)
Aw, shucks. :blush: You weren't looking so bad yourself.

Along similar lines as your conundrum, does it mean that when we're defending, our players face forwards, but as soon as we cross the halfway line, they have to face backwards again?

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
It is totally impossible, as your beer supply would run out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here