Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I hate St Paddys day

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bigest laugh is the fuss that Americans Cities like New York and Boston make of St Patrock's day. They seem to all think they're all of Irish (ot Oirush) desent.

Most Irish people I've met (and that's far more than most Americans) think it's pathetic that these born again patriots make such a fuss about a country they desserted.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nothng wrong with a few pints of Guiness. Stop stressing about what it means and go have a few FFS.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Having lived through my first one over here it does seem as though the second or third generation plastic paddys seem to celebrate it more back in the Uk. I can't comment on Dublin but here in rural Munster it was all quite civilised, there was a mass followed by a parade of sorts and there were some people drinking but the pubs weren't anymore packed than any other weekend day and there weren't lots of pissed people staggering around in green suits and stupid hats, just families enjoying the festivities.

I reckon St Georges day isn't celebrated quite the same way because of lack of interest rather than the pc brigade frowning upon it but that's just my opinion.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
is it true that st george was catholic?
henry the 8th cut us off from the catholic church. so we are not able to take a national holiday on this day. so it is henry's fault that we do not celebrate this as the irish celebrate st patricks day. so i say have a few guiness and enjoy it like any other day. as we are still allowed to enjoy our selves no matter what bloody day it is.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
graz126 said:
is it true that st george was catholic?

Of course, he's a catholic saint. AFAIK only the pope can cannonise somebody.

Here's some history

From them and the writings of Metaphrastes, we can piece together that he was born in Cappadocia of noble, Christian parents and on the death of his father, accompanied his mother to Palestine, her country of origin, where she had land and George was to run the estate. He was martyred at Lydda in Palestine (Nicomedia). He held an important post in the Roman army - the rank of tribune, or perhaps colonel in modern terms - during the reign of the Emperor Diocletian (245-313). Dioclesian was a great persecutor of Christians (from about 302) and when the persecutions began George put aside his office and complained personally to the Emperor of the harshness of his decrees and the dreadful purges of Christians. For his trouble, though, he was thrown into prison and tortured. He would not recant his faith however and the following day he was dragged through the streets and beheaded. It is uncertain whether he also tore down the Emperor's decrees as they were posted in Nicomedia. So he was one of the first to perish. The Emperor's wife, Alexandria was so impressed at the Saint's courage that she became a Christian and so too was put to death for her trouble.

I hope the Irish enjoy their day. I don't understand why the Englaish have take to it so much. We don't give shit about St George's day, so surely St Paddy's should be even more irrelevant.

It's not as if we need an excuse to go drinking in this country.

I would like to echo the sentiments fromm other posters about the Guiness hats. Take them off, you look like twats!

The people at Guiness must be loving it, an English Beer company cashing in on naive revellers. Top marketing:clap:

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
Saint Patricks is celebrated in USA a lot because the Irish went to America for work and it is a time to show their roots:drink:

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Its shame no one cares about St George's Day but it doesn't particularly bother me.

The fact that in England we are so good at accepting and embracing other cultures makes me proud of this country. And if St Patrick's day is an excuse to get pissed then even better.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I think the end the whole St. Patrick's day thing has been whipped up from a fairly small celebration of a minor saint into what it today as a marketing ploy by Guiness.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
it says in doncaster evening star today is a good day for an irish whiskey. i havent got any jamesons :nono: so have just had a glenmorangie instead. (scottish):lolol: currently sat in the glen of tranquilty. mmm nice.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Richie Morris said:
Well, Guiness Day as it should be called. How many of the english people who use today as an excuse to drink guiness and get a free hat have a beer on St Geroge's day? Hardly any. Makes me sick that people jump on the paddy day band wagon but are too scared of being labelled a racist or BNP supporter to celebrtae st george's day.

and relaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

YAWWWWWWWWWN

10 years ago very few people would have come out with this rubbish.

Q - Why is St Patricks day popular?
A - Because you are encouraged to have a drink. We're English,we like to drink

do you think anyone gives a flying feck that its the patron saint of Ireland's day?

noone's scared of celebrating st george's day. we just can't be arsed. nothing worse than forcing yourself to do something. hardly a spontaneous celebration. does it make you racist or a BNP member to celebrate st george's day? no, but they would be very happy that people might feel this way. it is after all the mentality that they have been trying to foster. how can the residents of a city made up of over 91% white people believe they are being swamped by the asian community? same way people can be made to believe that claiming pride in being english will get you looked upon as a racist. total bollocks.

far more important english things out there to celebrate....a beckham freekick in euro 2004, a pint in your local, new album by -insert ace british band name here-, taking the piss out of your mates, the downs etc etc etc

saints days? sod em

don't like guiness either

I am going to celebrate St Richie Morris Day tomorrow by thinking Tory Boy thoughts, being rude to my Asian newsagent, bollocking on about asylum seekers, ironing my white hood, lynching an uppity chicken tikka masala and generally spouting off like a COMPLETE ****

But seriously y'all, people have hit the nail on the head that Guinness is an English drink and an English company, so don't blame us Paddies for the jerkoff hats that people are wearing. I've always preferred Murphy's, but sadly that is now English too.

Here's an amusing review of "Irish" stout which demonstrates how international capitalism has wiped out any semblance that beers belong to any national culture.

Strewth! Foster's is now Canadian in America! http://www.epinions.com/content_90785681028

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Irish said:
I am going to celebrate St Richie Morris Day tomorrow by thinking Tory Boy thoughts, being rude to my Asian newsagent, bollocking on about asylum seekers, ironing my white hood, lynching an uppity chicken tikka masala and generally spouting off like a COMPLETE ****]

And I thought the Irish were supposed to have a great sense of humour.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
London Irish said:
I am going to celebrate St Richie Morris Day tomorrow by thinking Tory Boy thoughts, being rude to my Asian newsagent, bollocking on about asylum seekers, ironing my white hood, lynching an uppity chicken tikka masala and generally spouting off like a COMPLETE ****

Why is that funny? I have said nothing is wrong with irish nationals celebrating st paddys day, just that it annoys me so many english people jump on the bandwagon. I am sure most irish nationals would actually rather the english didnt hijack their day considering the republican feeling.
I have repeatedly backed up asylum seekers on this board, have made no secret of my love of labour and my favourite food is curry. I am not racist and I cannot think of anything worse to call someone.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:

and my favourite food is curry. I am not racist .

Are you saying that just because your favourite food is curry that you cannot be called rascist?

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
:jester:

Miserable bunch of bufoons.

It is an excuse to get drunk and maybe get some free drinks. I couldn't casre less what day it is in celebration of.

I was mostly drinking cider and vk last night.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jeeze Chappers, since when did you become politcally correct ? :D :D

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Are you saying that just because your favourite food is curry that you cannot be called rascist?

No I was referring to the bit when he said I moaned about chicken tikka masala.

For the record I am not a racist and am very upset I have been called one.

Dandyman

In London village.
harry_h said:
St. Paddy was Scottish of Italian parents.

(Well Tony Cascarino is Irish...:blush: )

St. Patrick was a Welsh slave held in captivity in Ireland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here