Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I got a HOLE IN ONE today...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ManxSeagull said:
We all have to start somewhere.
Well, I'm not quite a beginner...I've been playing for years (but I'm only sporadically semi-useful). Played East Brighton, Hill Barn, West Hove, Tilgate, Mannings Heath, and a few others. I don't get to play as much as I used to now, but I try to get round the 9 hole at Benfield as often as possible...just waiting for the clocks to go forward, then I can pack the clubs in my car and go straight after work for a swift 9...marvellous.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope. I play with my own BALLS.

(and my own clubs)

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I can remember my first ever hole in one as if it were yesterday.
(yes okay, stop it, I can hear you barracking from the back, okay okay, my ONLY hole in one). What a marvellous moment.

Princes Golf Club, Dartford, Kent, the glorious summer of 2000. Sounds prestigious, but truly just a decent pitch and putt. Twas the 5th hole, a steep uphill hole of some 130 yards, a par 3. I was playing absolute cack - no change there then - I could barely get a tee shot off the ground - so it was time to MASSIVELY overclub. I took a 5 iron, yep a 5 iron for the whole 130 yards. My expectations were a doffed tee shot, of which I'd already done 4 in a row, which due to my excessive club will hopefully run and run up the hill somewhere near the intended target. Incredible, I had a 5 iron in my hand, with the hope that my second shot to the 130 yard par 3 wouldn't be too lengthy.

I'd reduced the length of my backswing due to my poor form, and it had turned into more of a punch shot than a proper swing, but decent contact was made. It didn't fly too high, and whacked into the inclined ground some 20 yards short of the green and took a bit of a skip upwards. The green was not visible from the tee, so I was left wondering about the perspective I'd had on that shot. Did it fly more up than forward, or forward rather than up. Basically, having finally made a decent contact how far had it flown through the green?

Wandered up, in the vain hope that I would see my little ball on the green, but no joy. I made the walk around the green and started looking in the rough behind. Nope. How about the fairway that ran across the back? Nope. The rough beyond that, maybe it had hit a stone and REALLY bounced on? Nope. Nothing for it, I took a drop and played a nice chip onto the green. Wandered over to remove the flag, and JESUS CHRIST :eek: There was my ball, only in the smegging hole!

A truly marvellous scene! I was just in dream land. The thing that I couldn't get out of my head was ... I could have been playing Tiger then and I'd have almost certainly won the hole against him.

:clap: :clap:

Congrats Easy, it's a marvellous feeling innit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have never had a hole in one, but have hit the flag a few times.

Playing in Woodingdean Gull's golf society last year, I hit a 9 Iron within about 5 inches of the flag ( the divot where the ball landed showed this) the ball went about 1 ft further on. Downhill putt..Birdie on..no pressure..MISSED THE FUCKER!!!!

Played at Hollingbury....hole next to Ditchlin Road...you know the one...with bunkers etc....long hot summer....I drove the green!!!!...ball stopped 2 ft from the flag...EAGLE CHANCE!!!!!....3 putted!:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Sometimes I really really hate golf

:angel: :angel: :angel:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I've ONLY been playing for six years and never seem to improve despite having lessons at various times. I have only broken 100 once in that time. I find myself in a position now where I have the time to play or practise at least 2/3 times a week.

What do you lot play off and who has taken lessons?. I'm not sure whether they help me or confuse me as I am sure I am worse after a lesson.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
munster monch said:
I've ONLY been playing for six years and never seem to improve despite having lessons at various times. I have only broken 100 once in that time. I find myself in a position now where I have the time to play or practise at least 2/3 times a week.

What do you lot play off and who has taken lessons?. I'm not sure whether they help me or confuse me as I am sure I am worse after a lesson.
I've never bothered working out a handicap to be honest - I don't play regularly enough or at decent enough courses to warrant one really.

I'm clearly no expert, but one thing I've found that does help immeasurably - forget power, concentrate on control. If I try to take the paint off the ball, it could end up going absolutely anywhere. I just slow my swing right down, do a 3/4 length swing, and focus on getting a good contact with the ball. As long as I send it airborne and fairly straight then I'm quite happy with it. Might mean I sacrifice 20 or 30 yards in length, but I'd rather that then scuff it 20 yards into the rough, or top it somewhere.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
munster monch said:

When reading this, allow for the fact that I'm crap .....

I don't play regular enough to really see how good I can get, but I did have lessons a few years back and I found they helped. Nothing major, just walked away with a much better idea of posture, what I need to try and do, as well as tips on how to get my scores down.

For example, when you practice, don't just go on the driving range and smack balls. Try different clubs and shots, and make a mental note of how far you are hitting the shots with different clubs and shots.

Also, spend time on the greens and chipping onto the green, that can REALLY take shots off your round very quickly.

Handicap? Nah, I never really play enough. May get a couple of 18's played each summer. More likely to find time for a full size 9, or a pitch and putt. Just can't find the free time I'm afraid. There's a 9 hole near me, which virtually a full sized, and I was very proud of going round there in 49 last year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Whe I played regularily, ie once every few weeks, I got down to 14, but I now play so infrequently that I play off 22.

Best is Gross 81 at Coleford in Gloucester.

I now shoot around 90 - 95 ish ( if I am lucky:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: )

Playing Donnington Park Newbury on Thursday

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I am definately concentrating on the short game. Pitch and Putt is a competitive sport over here and there is a great 18 hole one nearby where it costs €80 a year for a family membership. Also Im lucky to have a 100 yard back garden, well field, that I've marked out at 10 yard intervals, so I am trying to get more accurate that way. I then visit the driving range and go through about 5 clubs. I reckon in a couple of months I'll be allowed back on a proper golf course :lolol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
My first job was selling hotdogs in the half way house of my local golf course - I was too young to get paid - so I got lessons instead (the pro was a family friend)

I then got moved to be the starter on Saturday mornings for the mens comp. and used to play in the last group around - never actually gave me a handicap but reckoned I got down to about 20.... selling golf clubs and club repairs was my Saturday job for years....

Don't play much at all anymore - have got a fabulous swing I've been told but fat lot of good that does me when I don't practice!! :lol:

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Well done Easy 10 :clap2:

I had a hole in one on the day that Beckham scored against Greece to qualify us for the World Cup. It was a glorious morning in a fourball competition when we arrived at the downhill 157 yard par 3 15th hole at Royal Eastbourne. I reached for a 7 iron, hit the ball with a nice smooth swing, it looked good in the air, pitched about 4 feet from the hole and it went straight into the hole - wahey :) :)

My main memory was my mate whinging about never having had a hole in one despite playing golf for about a million years - I have obviously never reminded him of this :p We still lost the match tho :rolleyes:

I can still see the ball going in the hole now - marvellous scenes :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here