Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I gave Harley

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
In amongst all the joy and elation after that result we still have a few petty minded people sniping at one of our players.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
He seemed reluctant to do anything other than try the short pass which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the way he bottled out of that challenge down by the corner flag sums him up to me, no fight at all.

Yeah, I was right by that corner today, I hate to say it, but I was shocked at his apparent lack of commitment, totally bottled it!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
OP is deluded.

Harley made one mistake and it wasn't because he dithered on the ball, it was because he was closed down by 3 players and no one else showed for the pass.

As for the bottling out of the tackle. I think it wasn't as clear a 50/50 as you think and he just stayed calm rather than launching himself into it.

Rest of the time he played well, linked players and was available for the ball. Plus his set pieces were good.

Give the guy a break.

Hear ! Hear!

Your description of those two events just about matches mine.

Other than that I thought he had a good solid performance indeed chasing the ball almost to say 'that' to our doubters.

I have never attacked nor ridiculed him on this forum and it is time that some 'us' got a grip.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
That is complete total and utter bollox, He was calm on the ball and we actually kept hold of it for abit whilst he was on. Can't believe he's getting stick for his cameo today

Agree he took a little time to settle but got better as the game went on. Not my favourite player and should'nt start in my opinion, but hopefully he will prove a good buy as the season progresses and prove most people wrong. Some people on here will slate him no matter how he plays.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
how can anyone moan about harley? yer he lost the ball once when there where 3 toon players around him, but he put in some decent corners/crosses and had a decent game all round. He isnt the sort of player to crunch into tackles but good on the ball. If its not moaning about Barnes(whos been class the last few games esp peterbourough) its about Harley, absolute joke some of the albion fans are.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Threads like this really make me worry about our fans. Harley came on and made a few mistakes, but overall we played much better after he came on. He played well, some of you are so blinkered it is embarrassing, you make your minds up after a few performances and pick on every mistake. He was much better than JFC today but there is no thread slating him (not that there should be).

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It's a free world with free speech that we live in isn't it? In which case my view is that the fella is way out of his league ... even Barnes was giving him verbals today. Not seen anything from him at all (apart from the goal) and today no better - gives ball away, bottles it and not making space

Lush

Mods' Pet
You don't have to be a misery-guts to make some observations. In the time he was on the pitch today, you can see that he still needs too much time on the ball (possibly because the opposition know that he's worth closing down quickly, possibly because he's still at lower league pace) and if there's a 50/50 ball, he is still VERY unlikely to win it, partly because he bottles it.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
There was one incident just in front of the north west when there was a potential 50/50 and he bottled it and made no challenge for it. It was so obvious it was shocking

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
No pleasing some people a fantastic team performance against a top side and all some can do in moan about one missed tackle. Jake was ok but Gus made the right substitution by replacing him with Harley.

Harley bought other midfielders into the game and I felt Buckley and Barnes saw more of the ball with the introduction of Harley. First half Bridcutt and Sparrow worked thier socks off and second half Bridcutt and Navarro where outstanding.

FFS get off Harley's like the rest of the side it's work in progress but the progess is all positive.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Harley pisses me off at times too, I often feel he's a bit of a luxury as he can be so lightweight. Then sure enough quite soon after coming on he gets caught in possession in a fairly dangerous area and I was thinking here we go again. But then to be fair I thought he played quite well after that. As others have said, he held the ball up well and consistently brought others into play nicely I thought. I've seen him play a lot lot worse than he did today that's for sure.

Mar 10, 2006
The incident that people are refering to when he lost he ball after being closed down came just after he'd come on and immediately you could hear people getting on his back. As I've said in another thread his confidence looks shot and people getting straight on his back won't help. Ok so he's not as hard working as CMS or as quick as Buckley but let's see what he can do. It seems that people are looking out for every single mistake so that they can jump on his back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here