Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

i find the £1.50 "convinience" charge on ATM's bloody "inconvinient!"

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
bloody annoying to pay to get out my own cash! i want to know why they think they can actually charge?! Its my f***ing money:angry: :angry:

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Re: i find the £1.50 "convinience" charge on ATM's bloody "inconvinient!"

surrey jim said:
bloody annoying to pay to get out my own cash! i want to know why they think they can actually charge?! Its my f***ing money:angry: :angry:

Why do you think shops have these charging machines installed? To make money. They're under no obligation to give you a means of accessing your cash...

As far as i know, all 'Bank' machines are still free.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
The one in bristol's megabowl charged £1.70, a total rip-off. But what can you do, if theres no where else to get cash then you just have to execpt it. I also tend to draw out extra aswell just incase i don't need to use one again

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Re: Re: i find the £1.50 "convinience" charge on ATM's bloody "inconvinient!"

Mr deez said:

As far as i know, all 'Bank' machines are still free.

Most of them are. The only time I've had to pay a charge was when I needed to get some money out at a motorway service station in an emergency. That's once in many years.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Kenhead said:
The one in bristol's megabowl charged £1.70, a total rip-off. But what can you do, if theres no where else to get cash then you just have to execpt it. I also tend to draw out extra aswell just incase i don't need to use one again

Its a problem with todays I want it now attitude, when I first started work and had a bank account (in the 80's) I had to withdraw cash by going into the bank with a cheque, I withdrew the cash I needed for the weekend and if I ran out of cash I went home

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
To be fair though they are not banks. They are companies providing a service who need to cover their costs of providing the equipment and staffing costs to install, maintain and re-fill the machines and make a profit.

It's a bit of an irritation to call it a convenience charge when they are taking your money but they ARE providing a convenient service in places where there are no bank's machines. I've never used one because I can get my money for free from a bank or through cashback but I can perfectly understand their position.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I used to manage the ATM network for a major bank in terms of new locations, technology types etc.

The reason campanies charge that amount is because the market will bear it.

Every time you use a machine for a bank other than your own - your bank gets charged. So if you bank wih Lloyds and you use barclays, then Lloyds get charged (the exact amount depends on a ratio of how many cards issued against machines installed). Banks with lots of card holders and no machines (i.e egg) get charged loads. Those with lots of machines (e.g. Natwest) get charged least.

Then you have those with machines but no customers (like Moneybox) who charge the earth. These costs are met directly by the customer at source.

Also places where these machines are charge a fortune to let them be installed. Network Rail make a fortune out of charging banks to place their machines on their premises. Many banks are priced out of doing this so pay as you go machines step in.

If nobody used them, then the market would turn against them.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
a lot of banks ahave come under fire fo removing (no charge) ATM's from some areas, probably beacause of the per usage cost to 'maintain' the machines..

what they dont seem to realise is that they lose more customers this way, as you never know when you may need more cash.

i understand there are free ATM in most shopping areas by now, though -

and clearer signs on the scumbag shops that do make a charge (like they havent marked up their shop prices enough?)

what i dont get is the overdeas handling charge, even though you are taking your own cash out (from a savings/current account, rather than a credit card advance):flameboun

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Thank f*** the in-store machines here are owned by the banks. Nice reassuring "You have not been charged extra for this transaction" message on-screen ;)

MYOB said:
Thank f*** the in-store machines here are owned by the banks. Nice reassuring "You have not been charged extra for this transaction" message on-screen ;)

I got that message when drawing money out the other day, but when I checked my statement the cheeky buggers had charged me £100. :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here