Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"I don't know if it was an ugly goal, my face was on it"

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
1066Seagull said:
Jakey came off, because he is like Rooney in the England squad. The game was to hard and fast for him, he couldn't last 90 minutes

Now there's a statement of quite breath-taking ignorance :lol:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
I thought Jake looked like he was lacking sharpness last night, he didn't seem quite up to speed with the match. Putting CKR on worked a treat as we had someone with the strength and presence to hold the ball up front. I'm not too sure about playing with two small players up front, every cross we put in seems to get cleared too easily with Knight & Robinson in the box.

Reading a couple of previous posts on Hammond and Oatway, I thought Hammond played quite well, maybe not the most technically gifted player on earth but gave absolutely 100% last night and the tackle he got booked for didn't look that bad to me. I think Oatway always plays better when we have three central midfielders, rather than two wingers, as he can just focus on breaking up opponents play rather than having to get involved too much in our own build-up.

Carole was class again, but he's wasted unless we can get Hammond and CKR in the box to get on the end of crosses.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not sure where the anti-Oatway stuff is coming from. He did his job well, always closing down and breaking up their attacks. But the ball kept coming back at him because the control and passing of Robinson, Carole and Frutos was pretty poor all night. Because of that, Hammond was pushed back into a depper role as well and Knight came further and further away from the poenalty area to get the ball.

Overall I thought the back 6 (inc Hammond and Oatway) were fine and the front 4 (cept Knight) off their game.

Set of Tracksuits said:
I think Oatway always plays better when we have three central midfielders, rather than two wingers, as he can just focus on breaking up opponents play rather than having to get involved too much in our own build-up.

Perceptive comment - but really this applies to all our central midfielders - none are good enough to command central midfield with that lack of support. The winger system leaves them too exposed. I think Frutos had to be given a go last night because of his decent stint at Palace but we need a return to three ball-winners in midfield. Particularly at Withdean, where teams are prepared to sit back and break.

Set of Tracksuits said:
Carole was class again, but he's wasted unless we can get Hammond and CKR in the box to get on the end of crosses.

Agreed, and we won't get Hammond into the box often enough until we unburden him with the defensive central midfield duties. Six goals in 13 games playing as a box-raiding flank midfielder and we move him :nono:

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Hammond has had plenty of chances while playing central midfield, he just hasn't taken them. Nothing to do with his position.

I don't know about Oatway bashing, but the fact is he had a poor game last night. I also thought Hammond, Frutos, Jake and Reid had poor games.
I think our defence would be more balanced with Dodd at left back, and our midfield stronger with Hammond back on the left and Nicolas or Reid in for the vacant central spot (whilst chippy is out). As for the forward line, will we ever see El Turi again? I thought he looked good in the few minutes he's been allowed on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here