Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I don't get it, and now it's bugging the crap out of me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What the hell is that Sainsburys advert all about at the top. It shows Anchor butter, Cream Crackers and a loaf of bread are exactly the same price at Tescos as they are at Sainsburys, then uses the slogan "They look the same, they cost the same"

WTF ?

I even clicked the link because it is bugging me so much, and it takes you to the Sainsburys website, where...........wait for it............they show a load more products that are exactly the same price in Tescos :wozza:

Don't get it.

:shrug:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Get Adblock plus as an add-on and you won't have to see any of these annoying adverts in the first place!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For me it does the opposite of what it sets out to do - the fact that they feel the insecure need to point out that a few hundred of their thousands and thousands of products are the same price (not even cheaper) as Tesco screams out the fact that Sainsbury's are an overpriced supermarket.

In related news - the whole Waitrose white label range. Surely your average Waitrose shopper is too much of a food snob to stoop to such depths so who does it appeal to? People who can't usually afford Waitrose, but can now boast the 'Waitrose' name in their kitchens even if it is low quality stuff? Personally I don't get it. Rather than buy their white label products, why wouldn't you just shop elsewhere and buy regular label, which is potentially better quality food for the same price, if not much cheaper?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What they are saying is "We are just as cheap as Tescos but we don't like saying it in such a vulgar fashion because for yonks we have gone on about our shopping experience being worth paying extra for"

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
"They look the same, they cost the same" thats because "they are the same"
why go on about it..? or worse still make out your doing your customers a feckin favour by making them the same !

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
What the advert is saying is that for some basic foodstuffs you can pop into Sainsburys and pay the same price rather than shop amongst the chavs at Tesco.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What the advert is saying is that for some basic foodstuffs you can pop into Sainsburys and pay the same price rather than shop amongst the chavs at Tesco.

Who gets the better deal though? Those who shop in Tesco or Asbo amongst the 'alleged' detritus of civilization, or those who shop in Sainsburys amongst the Tarquins and Trixabelles and get ripped off for the privilege of brushing shoulders with such middle class tediocrity? I know which option I'd choose.
:thumbsup:

Lush

Mods' Pet
Why is it that we think nothing of popping stuff into out trolleys without a second thought - £2.99 here, £3.25 there - adding up to a bill of £50 - £100 or whatever yet moan and skrike when matchday tickets are a few quid more than we think they should be?

Is it just because it's FOOD and therefore essential and necessary to spend this amount?

There's also that element of laziness, as well as blind faith about going to the big supermarkets, that they won't totally rip you off. I noticed on one of the Waitrose Essentials posters that a fairly average looking size head of broccoli was £1.30-something. I'm damned sure you can get that A LOT cheaper from your local greengrocer.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I noticed on one of the Waitrose Essentials posters that a fairly average looking size head of broccoli was £1.30-something. I'm damned sure you can get that A LOT cheaper from your local greengrocer.

Or grow your own, sure that works out even cheaper.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For me it does the opposite of what it sets out to do - the fact that they feel the insecure need to point out that a few hundred of their thousands and thousands of products are the same price (not even cheaper) as Tesco screams out the fact that Sainsbury's are an overpriced supermarket.

In related news - the whole Waitrose white label range. Surely your average Waitrose shopper is too much of a food snob to stoop to such depths so who does it appeal to? People who can't usually afford Waitrose, but can now boast the 'Waitrose' name in their kitchens even if it is low quality stuff? Personally I don't get it. Rather than buy their white label products, why wouldn't you just shop elsewhere and buy regular label, which is potentially better quality food for the same price, if not much cheaper?

Who gets the better deal though? Those who shop in Tesco or Asbo amongst the 'alleged' detritus of civilization, or those who shop in Sainsburys amongst the Tarquins and Trixabelles and get ripped off for the privilege of brushing shoulders with such middle class tediocrity? I know which option I'd choose.
:thumbsup:

So where exactly do you buy the chips for your shoulder, then?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So where exactly do you buy the chips for your shoulder, then?

In simple terms (might be best for you!), unlike some I don't care who I brush shoulders with in supermarket aisles, the over-riding factor for me being price, not the other clientele. To me it seems strange to base your choice of supermarket on who else might shop in there seeing as you're not obliged to engage with anyone else while you shop and are only in there for a short time. At the end of the day the money is going to a large faceless company, whether Sainsburys or Tesco and I personally can't see the logic in paying 80p for a product in one store, when I can get exactly the same product for 50p in another.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
In simple terms (might be best for you!), unlike some I don't care who I brush shoulders with in supermarket aisles, the over-riding factor for me being price, not the other clientele. To me it seems strange to base your choice of supermarket on who else might shop in there seeing as you're not obliged to engage with anyone else while you shop and are only in there for a short time. At the end of the day the money is going to a large faceless company, whether Sainsburys or Tesco and I personally can't see the logic in paying 80p for a product in one store, when I can get exactly the same product for 50p in another.

For me their are 3 things that rule Asda out as a place for me to buy groceries.

A) - it's full of chavs (sorry - but i really don't like that)
B) - it's principle claim to being the UKS cheapest supermarket is because it's cheap for branded products. And as i rarely buy branded products thats of no benefit to me. The own label range in Sainsburys is far far superior to that found in Asda.
C) - because of it dependency on branded items i find that the product offer in Asda is extremely limited.

That said - it's a great supermarket for people who want Pot Noodles, Cheerios and Rustlers on the cheap.

Snobbery? - certainly.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
hmmmm....i do all my grocery shopping on-line so that rules out the clientele.....but I avoid Yesco's purely because (as befits the market leader) their food is of lower quality than the other major supermarkets)...seriously, their non-organic chicken breasts smell of the very essence of desperation, like some kind of giant chichen Auschwitz...and Asda can f*** off because they get about 5 items wrong every time, so Sainsbury's it is :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here