Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I dont buy this whole 'Adams got lucky with Zamora' thing...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
do you think adams has been right second time round then with his signings?

It doesn't appear so at the moment, but I wasn't talking about that. People are questioning Adams abilities to build a TEAM, not just bang-on about being lucky with Zamora.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Micky called all managers in the Prem, Div 1 and Div 2 (of which Holloway was one) and had two loan options - not sure who the other was. He plumped for Zamora, based on the fact he was six-foot-plus and had been scoring goals for Bath City in the Conference...

interesting insight into how he scouts and looks for players. would he have signed him if he'd been 5'11 not 6'2 or whatever he is?

of course the real fool here is holloway for letting him go... although to be fair they had a surplus of strikers at the time if memory serves.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Given the chance to, he can build a team. That's what he does. But he needs to be given time (it took nearly 18 months last time and I recall fans then calling for him to go) and backing.

Further proof of his ability to sign quality players and nuture them came earlier this week, as Coventry sold Jay Tabb to Reading this week for £1m. Micky signed him for peanuts from Crawley.

BTW - Holloway did not want to sell BZ, and was not under pressure from his board to do so - but respected Bobby's choice that he wanted to leave. So hats off to MA (and DK) for perservering and getting him, when the whole football world should have at least been a tiny but aware of him from his six-in-six spell here. One of the biggest transfer coups in our history.

Last edited:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
It doesn't appear so at the moment, but I wasn't talking about that. People are questioning Adams abilities to build a TEAM, not just bang-on about being lucky with Zamora.

yes but the point being made is that his team were average at best before zamora turned up. i'm sorry but you put zamora's 30 plus goals onto any team in league 2 and they'll do well.

some of his team then went onto to really flourish in league 1 and the championship but not under adams, but under taylor and coppell.

he made some brilliant signings, but things only started to click once zamora arrived.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
yes but the point being made is that his team were average at best before zamora turned up. i'm sorry but you put zamora's 30 plus goals onto any team in league 2 and they'll do well.

some of his team then went onto to really flourish in league 1 and the championship but not under adams, but under taylor and coppell.

he made some brilliant signings, but things only started to click once zamora arrived.

I agree. But that doesn't make it lucky, just the final piece of the jigsaw. The Albion would not have been the same with just Zamora and not the other signings, or the other signings without Zamora. So my point is, he built a TEAM, not just got lucky with one signing.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton

Very true, but in one of his first press conferences after being appointed first time around, he said one of the things we needed to win promotion was a 20-plus centre-forward. The fact he got a 30-plus one, well even better. Let's not forget he had Lee Steele too, who didn't get much of a look in with Bobby around - Steeley would have played more games and scored more goals had we not signed Bobby. Interestingly the forward beneath Bobby on Micky's centre-forward hit list that summer Zamora signed was a certain Steve Howard (then of Northampton), who has obviously gone onto bigger and better things...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Further proof of his ability to sign quality players and nuture them came earlier this week, as Coventry sold Jay Tabb to Reading this week for £1m. Micky signed him for peanuts from Crawley.
I thought he signed him for a large fee from Brentford.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Adams left the club after 14 games of the season in second place.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
£75k I think you will find. I concede it was actually Brentford. :jester:
I'm surprised it was as little as that, they loved him at Griffin Park.
I think what worries people (what worries me at least) is not that Adams has never signed a good player, because clearly he has, but that he's made quite a lot of signings for us already and even the ones that have looked like good players have had a negligible impact on form, and indeed performances.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
do you think adams has been right second time round then with his signings?
I don't think we've really had the opportunity to see. The first time I saw Hawkins I thought he looked pretty good, then he got injured and he's looked a right donkey since. McLeod is infuriating (a bit like Brooker in many ways). At times he really looks like he has some quality, especially when putting the ball in from the left goalline, but he has a Brooker-esque tendency to go missing when he doesn't fancy it - and he doesn't look match fit either. Thornton looked good for a couple of games but we didn't see much of him. Livermore was - I thought - a very good signing. I actually think he has mainly signed players who make our squad stronger but has been unlucky this time round with injuries and havving to throw players straight back in after injury.

Despite the crap performances and run of results I am prepared to give him time to put out the team he is trying to build, not just the one he's forced to put out because he's deprived of his better players by injury.

I thought he signed him for a large fee from Brentford.

well I remember, during one of our seemingly interminable 4-0 defeats by Brentford telling Stephen Hunt what I thought of him and his ability(which was useless and a basic rhyme which amused me on a very bad night!)

Now I find he is valued at £5million:laugh:.

Mar 10, 2006
One player does NOT make a team, Robiniho has proved that at Man City.

No matter how good a player is he can only become a success if he has good players around him, these would be players that ADAMS braught to the club.

Yes, Zamora was a quality player and theres no doubting his impact on the team but even if we had Zmora now we still wouldnt be much better off.

I'm with you on this. I've said before that although Zamora was the quality in the team we were lucky in the fact that we had Cullip,Oatway, Carpenter etc who were great leaders who as well as giving 100% demanded that others did the same. This is the one thing we are desparately lacking at the moment - there is no drive in the team, no determination and even if Mickey has his sleeves rolled up it won't count for shit if the players aren't the sort to do the same. In this transfer window we don't just need players to make the numbers up we need leaders.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
lot of nonsense spouted on here as usual ! any success is normally based on a large degree of right time, right place. the combination of players that micky put together that first time round worked fantastically (every manager after him faced the "but the backbone is still micky's team" jibe). to say micky was lucky is equally as nonsensical as saying he was a master technician and man manager - as usual, the truth is somewhere in between. don't know why everyone gets their knickers in such a twist about it.

personally, i think we would still have gone up without zamora but with him, we were pretty much invincible at that level. shame other clubs didn't use him as a lone striker as much, then i think he would have been even more successful.

Last edited:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I don't buy it either. Adams brought in Oatway, Rodgers, Watson and Cullip from Brentford in the summer of 1999. Zamora then came in after we finished seventh in our first season at Withdean. These four players were part of that squad before Zamora arrived. Zamora was a missing piece of the jigsaw and without MA, Oatway, Rodgers, Watson and Cullip and now the addition of Crosby and a few others we wouldn't won two League titles in a row!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here