Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I dont buy this whole 'Adams got lucky with Zamora' thing...

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
So what was the alternative, not sign Bobby Zamora?

Yes, we got 'lucky' when we didn't get Pinamonte but he did win us one and a half titles with the squad he assembled.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Reading all this, there's one name that sticks out to me as the sort of character we're missing this time round, maybe not so much on the pitch, but defintely off it.

Anyone else think we could do with Oatway back?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Reading all this, there's one name that sticks out to me as the sort of character we're missing this time round, maybe not so much on the pitch, but defintely off it.

Not now - he'd be too old...!! (Sorry) But yes, his leadership qualities are exactly what the team is missing now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Funny how we all look at things differently I read it as BZ being the icing on the cake. We had a good solid team - that became championship winning when we had a great striker

I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but I still think he got lucky with Zamora, primarily for the reason I've stated - Pinamonte was who he wanted, he couldn't get him, so had to look elsewhere.

The other reason for this 'luckiness' is the gamble that all lower-league managers have to take part in. By and large they don't have much cash so don't have the luxury of picking up international class players. They have to take punts and hope it comes off - some do and some don't - it's the nature of the task. With Zamora, the punt came off spectacularly.

And, one more thing, I'd rather have a lucky manager than an unlucky one...

Fine line.
A bit of success at a new club, a bit of luck made by getting a couple of the right players at the right time (and Zamora, let's not forget, is still playing in the Premier div. competitively), and the confidence gained saw Adams through.

Since then, he's stumbled over the rocky road from club to club and returned with humility, to manage ...strangers - hence the instant grabbing at the chance to re-hire Gary Hart and Kerry Mayo.

However, anyone can fuel up from confidence, you rely on it too. Without thinking about it much, you and everyone else thrives on confidence - from your spouse or partner, from your friends, work associates, on the street and in the local.
Remember Ferguson (now SIR Alex) was a game away from the elbow?
What a difference a day makes! His whole life was transformed since then, yet he could have been sacked and be working as an old failed manager at some lower-league Scottish club somewhere - no money to spend and trying to convince a couple of donkey boozers to turn up for training on time.

Micky Adams needs to stiffen the upper lip, nail down a proper 'system' on the pitch that will toughen the task for oppositions and slow-but-surely work our boys forward with enough control to KEEP the ball in their area, and keep them on the back foot while we bombard them.
Confidence is missing from the manager, it's missing in the players, and it's missing in our game on the pitch.

Still, the future starts today, right now.

In my humble opinion, MA could vow to say "yep, every result we've had is my fault, I recognize it, accept it, and will be doing something about it"
No "cuddles", no bad ref bad luck bad weather bad player bad fans bad money.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

f*** yes. He wouldn't tolerate some of the shit we've served up this season.

110%

Unregistered User
Apr 19, 2006
GOSBTS
We weren’t one of those teams that just bangs it and we had a great understanding as a team. We all knew when someone had the ball exactly where they were going to put it. Every player knew exactly where the other one would be and I had a particularly good understanding with Paul Watson.

The exact opposite of what seems to be going on at the moment.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think you may be right (indeed that is what I was saying) fact is though that we have seen a team this season who started strongly and were looking like a challenging side, since we started misfiring the wheels have come completely off which is a confidence/morale issue IMO.

Adams is well capable of building a competitive squad at this level. I just hope he gets the time to sort the confidence back and push on. We need some men in the team and thats that.

I am still not sure how the squad we were looking at pre-season is where it is. There have been injuries to key players - but I really don't know how it has happened. And men is what we thought Adams was adding with Hawkins, Livermore, and McLoed. And Virgo of course.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Adams was lucky that we lost out on Pinamonte, but after that, NO, there was no luck about it. He took, and nurtured the talent, building a very good side around Bobby, having recognised very quickly just how far Bobby could take us if we played to his strengths.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'm not disagreeing with any of that, but I still think he got lucky with Zamora, primarily for the reason I've stated - Pinamonte was who he wanted, he couldn't get him, so had to look elsewhere.

Pinamonte was a loss - just for the song.

"When you wake up in bed,
with a Horse's head,
That's Lorenzo."

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Adams was lucky that we lost out on Pinamonte, but after that, NO, there was no luck about it. He took, and nurtured the talent, building a very good side around Bobby, having recognised very quickly just how far Bobby could take us if we played to his strengths.

And built on it.

Simon Morgan ............... what a player for a season.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
And built on it.

Simon Morgan ............... what a player for a season.

Absolutely, he built very well around the Zamora signing.

But it's wrong for people to say that Zamora was the icing on the cake, because we weren't actually all that good before he showed up on loan. I think the season video was entitled "The season that ended too soon", but in other words that was actually, "We were pretty ordinary until Zamora arrived on loan."

Once he was with us though, we clicked, and the team played in the right way around him, and that is down to the manager ...... although I assume Andy Naylor believes it had nothing to do with the manager, just that we signed better quality players. :lol:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Lorenzo Pinamonte was last heard of at AC Lumezzane in the 3rd tier of Italian football. I know it's a futile and hypothetical but even with the Italian stallion instead of Bobby Z operating in front of that team we would have had enough to get promotion in 2000/01.

Perhaps it's time now to stop the hysteria. But one thought...
Could Charlie Oatway do a better job than Dean White?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
if you believe the insider zamora arrived becuase ian holloway phoned adams and suggested taking him on loan. that's not what i've heard but there we go.

what's certain is that adams didn't find bobby, he fell into his lap.

what's with all this nonsense about mickey being the man to build a team - name one of his many many signings this season who've made a big difference?

looking back at comments from cov and leicester fans on the internet it seems his main failings have been poor signings plus playing players out of position - ring any bells?

the facts are that last time he was here he simply signed the best players from his former clubs becuase at the time we could offer them more money. you add zamora into the mix and away we go. nice one mickey, thanks very much.

he's been attempting to build a team since may last year... what makes you think he's suddenly going to come good?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
he's been attempting to build a team since may last year... what makes you think he's suddenly going to come good?

Because he did build a TEAM last time? The only signings he didn't make of that great TEAM were Kerry Mayo and Gary Hart.

Why is everybody so hung up about Zamora. Micky was the manager of the team at the time, not the scout. You still have to be a decent manager to make players good, and Holloway didn't think Zamora would get him goals.

Guess what, Holloway was wrong, Adams was right.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
if you believe the insider zamora arrived becuase ian holloway phoned adams and suggested taking him on loan. that's not what i've heard but there we go.

No, that is not what happened. Pinamonte went back to Bristol City and subsequently signed for Brentford - as we were unwilling to pay the asking price and Brentford were. That left us short up front, so Micky called all managers in the Prem, Div 1 and Div 2 (of which Holloway was one) and had two loan options - not sure who the other was. He plumped for Zamora, based on the fact he was six-foot-plus and had been scoring goals for Bath City in the Conference. The rest is history...

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
the facts are that last time he was here he simply signed the best players from his former clubs becuase at the time we could offer them more money. you add zamora into the mix and away we go. nice one mickey, thanks very much.
Rogers ( club captain ) , Kuipers, Steele, Jones, Crosby, Aspinall and Wicks had never played for Adams before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here