Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I didn't know hedgehogs could climb trees?

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I just went out the back of my house to put out the bins and heard i loud rustling sound coming from a tree in my garden, thought it must be a cat or something. Went and put out the bins and came back around the house and i could still hear it. I was just about to go in and get a torch for a better look and i heard a thump and the rustling stopped. I stopped and looked over and there was a large hedgehog scurrying acoss the grass and into the undergrowth.

How strange!:eek:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
lizard said:
I just went out the back of my house to put out the bins and heard i loud rustling sound coming from a tree in my garden, thought it must be a cat or something. Went and put out the bins and came back around the house and i could still hear it. I was just about to go in and get a torch for a better look and i heard a thump and the rustling stopped. I stopped and looked over and there was a large hedgehog scurrying acoss the grass and into the undergrowth.

How strange!:eek:

Did you look around for the scabby little chav that had thrown it up there before you came out?

:lolol:

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
Porcupines live in trees, and they're just big hedgehogs.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
They actually live in tree houses.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Vlad the Impala said:
Porcupines live in trees, and they're just big hedgehogs.

We don't get porcupines in this country though do we?
Come on, hedgehogs surely can't climb trees?!?!??!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
lizard said:

No they can't. They carve out intricate spiral staircases inside the trunk. The older ones use a Stannah.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Aghh, that would explain a few things, but i'm still not convinced!:glare:

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
lizard said:

Wouldn't bet on it. There are parrots, coypu and wallabies, so why not porcupines?

Porcupine Tree are rather brilliant, is that where this thread was leading?

It is though, little known that hedgehogs are excellent steeplejacks, and use a system of pulleys to hoist their spiny little bastard bodies up to great heights before jumping. They then deploy a parachute about 4 ft before hitting the ground, pack it quickly and scarper, bless 'em (burp)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Why would they pack the parachute away afterwards? Surely they'd just discard it because when they land, the chute lands on top of them and their spines make holes, rendering the tiny cloth upturned hammocks useless.

My guess is the hog was flying on holiday, the plane had a massive depressurisation, and he was sucked out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
An unmistakable small garden mammal with a body covered in sharp spines. The back and upper body parts are covered in spines that can be bristled. The spines stick out in all directions and when alarmed the hedgehog will curl up in a ball for protection.
The head, flanks and underparts are all covered in course brown hair. The ears are hairy and prominent, the snout is black, shiny and wet. The eyes are black.
Hedgehogs are nocturnal and can be found by listening for their surprisingly loud snuffling and rummaging in the undergrowth at dawn and dusk. Hedgehogs are also unexpectedly fast movers for their size and have also been seen climbing fences and trees.
Hedgehogs hibernate during the winter months in leafy undergrowth and can be easily killed by careless gardeners by digging compost heaps and burning garden litter without first checking for nesting animals.
Hedgehogs have no real natural predators due to their powerful protection, however cars kill a huge number each year.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Maybe it stacked up its other hedgehog friends one by one until the wavering tower of hedgehogs was tall enough for the first one to clamber on to a branch.

You just don't know what these creatures get up to when your back's turned

:lolol:

This is one of the best NSC threads I've read in ages.

Vlad the Impala

Jul 16, 2004
sargi1 said:

I am scared now

Apparently if you get stuck by a porcupine quill, it can work its way into your body at up to an inch a day until it reaches a vital organ.

Now that's scary!

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
You may THINK hedgehogs are clever, but can they do THIS ?

whhist2.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here