Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I cannot believe how many old and young duffers are moan moan moaning about the Elton

D

Deleted User X18H

....gig , 'cos it made too much noise' even those who went are ranting in the Arse gas about people daring to enjoy themselves by having a drink. Brighton and Hove is and always has been a fun place to be shape up or piss off.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Funny old world we live in.... I'm going to fence sit on this one for two reasons:

a) Since I don't live near the noise I take the view that its fine - people having fun on a summers evening with music and a drink or two

but

b) If it was near me and kept my 9 month old son awake I'd be livid...his sleep is vital to him and mostly to my sanity :lol:

So I don't know what the answer is...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The letter from that bloke who lives next to the ground was a very interesting one and raises points about Sussex's license to play at the County Ground.

His gripe is that up until 5 years ago, cricket was a sedate game with the most noise coming from the cricket itself...now with the advent of 20/20, C&G etc etc where loud music is played after a wicket, four, six, or when the unpire picks his nose, it has mad ethos epeople living around the ground, lives hell. having floodlights and the glare therefrom also is an issue ( a good friend lives in the Flats behind the Gilligan and they were not consulted about the extra noise)

Although it is the way things are going generally, he does have a point.

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
tedebear said:
Funny old world we live in.... I'm going to fence sit on this one for two reasons:

a) Since I don't live near the noise I take the view that its fine - people having fun on a summers evening with music and a drink or two

but

b) If it was near me and kept my 9 month old son awake I'd be livid...his sleep is vital to him and mostly to my sanity :lol:

So I don't know what the answer is...

Nimby. ;)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dies Irae said:
The letter from that bloke who lives next to the ground was a very interesting one and raises points about Sussex's license to play at the County Ground.

His gripe is that up until 5 years ago, cricket was a sedate game with the most noise coming from the cricket itself...now with the advent of 20/20, C&G etc etc where loud music is played after a wicket, four, six, or when the unpire picks his nose, it has mad ethos epeople living around the ground, lives hell. having floodlights and the glare therefrom also is an issue ( a good friend lives in the Flats behind the Gilligan and they were not consulted about the extra noise)

Although it is the way things are going generally, he does have a point.

He doesn't: he's talking rubbish. Those flats behind the Gilligan stand were built in the 70s, but there has been talk of floodlit cricket since the 60s at least (and was being played by Kerry Packer's teams in the late 70s). It shouldn't have taken much brainpower to have worked out that there would be floodlit cricket at Sussex at some point. In fact, it arrived a bit later than I expected.

As for the crowds, under old safety laws, the ground could hold about 15,000 (and did for big games). The people in the flats know have to put up with half that number.

I agree about the music though - it's one thing I find irrritating about 20/20.

D

Deleted User X18H

gazwag said:
Says the man who moans about Pride each year :D
Yes but that is a bunch a cockney arse bandits sitting on the wall of my old property screeching on about Will and Grace Mrs Hove Born and Bred loved it by the way............anyway I can't see them bothering me in our new desirable BN1 neigbourhood.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
hove born&bred said:
Yes but that is a bunch a cockney arse bandits sitting on the wall of my old property screeching on about Will and Grace Mrs Hove Born and Bred loved it by the way............anyway I can't see them bothering me in our new desirable BN1 neigbourhood.

Actually, where my parents lived backed onto a property in Dyke Road. The chap is homosexual and he frequently has parties to raise money and awareness for aids. George Michael and Madonna vibes thumping until the early hours of the morning. Mind you that is the top end and you are less likely to hear it by the railway station. :p

D

Deleted User X18H

BarrelofFun said:
Actually, where my parents lived backed onto a property in Dyke Road. The chap is homosexual and he frequently has parties to raise money and awareness for aids. George Michael and Madonna vibes thumping until the early hours of the morning. Mind you that is the top end and you are less likely to hear it by the railway station. :p
Actually old boy I am one Street down the Droveway from Compton Road two properties along from the Droveway.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Gwylan said:
He doesn't: he's talking rubbish. Those flats behind the Gilligan stand were built in the 70s, but there has been talk of floodlit cricket since the 60s at least (and was being played by Kerry Packer's teams in the late 70s). It shouldn't have taken much brainpower to have worked out that there would be floodlit cricket at Sussex at some point. In fact, it arrived a bit later than I expected.

As for the crowds, under old safety laws, the ground could hold about 15,000 (and did for big games). The people in the flats know have to put up with half that number.

I agree about the music though - it's one thing I find irrritating about 20/20.

Yet again I am put in my place by Gwynlan

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dies Irae said:
Yet again I am put in my place by Gwynlan

I wasn't trying to put you down, Dave.. Just the NIMBY who was griping to the Argus.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Gwylan said:
I wasn't trying to put you down, Dave.. Just the NIMBY who was griping to the Argus.

As you've agreed though Gwylan - its really the noise thats the matter... this stupid thumping music after each wicket would drive me batty too - especially now I've got a kid who goes to bed at 7:30pm...

I don't know what the answer is though?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They are between a rock and a hard place

Sky and the cricket Authorities have tried to jazz up cricket by adding all these enhancements, which I can take or leave to be honest, and they are here to stay. We already have pyjama cricket in teh one dayyers and advers all over white cricket shirts.

The world is full of people wanting to make money and be seen, so it must be something that people want.

People who live near cricket grounds never invisaged the noise that now eminates from them....calling them NIMBY's is a tad ingenuous really.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Every event big or small loud or quiet is going to have a minority of people moan about it, we have about three or four firework displays on the beach down by the mermaid each year in Bexhill and after every one without fail somebody writes in moaning about the noise.

Its either its too loud, I cant park my car, the mess they leave behind, etc etc etc etc

The moaners and the ones that write to newspapers

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Dies Irae said:

People who live near cricket grounds never invisaged the noise that now eminates from them....calling them NIMBY's is a tad ingenuous really.

My point is that they should have envisaged it. It was obvious that night-time cricket was going to come in, so he shouldn't have been shocked.

I don't particularly like the music played when a wicket is taken but one-day cricket has never been quiet. I remember some one-day games in the 70s where the atmosphere was like a football crowd (it was certainly noisier than Withdean is).

I agree with gazwag on this, even if Sussex did away with that music, there will be people who moan. After all, there are only three floodlit 20/20 games in a season and none finish really late: it's scarcely a major irritation.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I am all up for people making a noise and having fun, but Elton xxxxxxx John? I'd be reaching for the sniper rifle and trying to do the world a favour if it was anywhere near me, well at least trying to find some decent ear plugs.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I live right next to the cricket ground and don't find any of it intrusive, last Sunday Elton could be drowned out by the TV and it was over by about 8pm anyway. In fact in the house across the way from me a group neighbours deliberately planned a barbecue so they could listen to it. The noise from the cricket is neglible and that finishes by 10pm at the latest.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Gwylan said:
I don't particularly like the music played when a wicket is taken but one-day cricket has never been quiet. I remember some one-day games in the 70s where the atmosphere was like a football crowd (it was certainly noisier than Withdean is).

I've been to funerals that are noisier than Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here