Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I can offially announce..................

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Really naffs me off.

When the economy was doing well it was down to Brown's wonderful management.
Now it's gone tits up, it's down to all of those stupid yanks and greedy buy-to-let people.

Seems no matter how much Labour f*** up the economy every time they get into power, some people can't see it.

Who remembers the Tory PM and Chancellor standing outside the Treasury with their "substitutes board" constantly revising interest rates upwards and upwards as their economic "policies " came home to roost.

Can't wait for this lot of to**ers to be back in power.Deference voters are a real pi** off.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
That the Housing industry in this country is now in meltdown, I have worked for one of the largest developers for many years, and yesterday I (and MANY others) was put on 30 days notice for redundancy :( and from what i have been made aware of recently, this is going to affect alot of people related to the industry (Builders merchants, sub contractors etc etc)

The problem I have, is as much as i have many contacts in the trade, of course everyones in the same boat :shrug:

The future is not looking to good :down:

Anyone else affected by this on here ?
Sorry to hear that, Tony, that's really tough. Although I haven't been affected yet, I fully expect the slowdown in the economy to impact on small builders like me. It's going to be hard going for a couple of years.

larus

Who remembers the Tory PM and Chancellor standing outside the Treasury with their "substitutes board" constantly revising interest rates upwards and upwards as their economic "policies " came home to roost.

Can't wait for this lot of to**ers to be back in power.Deference voters are a real pi** off.

So do you think that Labour are doing a good job and spending our money wisely.
Do you think it is wise to have taken out huge on-going commitments (PFI) which for some strange reason don't get included in the public debt? If it's a debt, it's a debt. But no, somehow Labour think that's it's debt, but not as we know it.
Do you think that the fleecing of the pension funds was a sound economic policy? It was an easy one to implement as the effect wouldn't be felt immediately. But guess what, we're all paying for it now.

New Labour/Old Labour different name, same economic incompetence. Tax, spend, waste, screw it up, lose election, wait for Tories to repair.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Stormy times ahead, last recession I worked for that bastardised company British Rail so we were recession proof.

This time I am in the private sector however so far record spending from clients and way ahead of agreed figures this year so time will tell.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry to hear about your predicament Hitony. I hope things work out for you.

Also;

Earlier this year...

Today...

:lolol:
Its been a self fulfilling prophecy and the lenders are responsible for the perilous state of the market as well as the media.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Its been a self fulfilling prophecy and the lenders are responsible for the perilous state of the market as well as the media.

We are owned by the USA as every financial issue they have comes here

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No,you did not.If you have a property valued at £300,000,and its paper value fell by £7,500, you retain a property valued at £292,500.

You only lose if you sell,and your "loss" has to be set against what you paid.eg mine actually cost £107,000,and is now valued at £300,000.If it "lost" £7,500,I'm still on a "paper winner",though of course I'd be loathe to sell such a fantastic property whatever the state of the market.

Let me get this right

sell in April at £ 300000
sell in May at £ 292500

you will not have lost £ 7500

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Let me get this right

sell in April at £ 300000
sell in May at £ 292500

you will not have lost £ 7500

This does not really matter if you have a large equity though

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
er ok :shootself

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Stormy times ahead, last recession I worked for that bastardised company British Rail so we were recession proof.

This time I am in the private sector however so far record spending from clients and way ahead of agreed figures this year so time will tell.

It's at times like these that I appreciate my job on the Railway, We're still pretty much bomb proof when it comes to recession forced redundancies.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
So do you think that Labour are doing a good job and spending our money wisely.
Do you think it is wise to have taken out huge on-going commitments (PFI) which for some strange reason don't get included in the public debt? If it's a debt, it's a debt. But no, somehow Labour think that's it's debt, but not as we know it.
Do you think that the fleecing of the pension funds was a sound economic policy? It was an easy one to implement as the effect wouldn't be felt immediately. But guess what, we're all paying for it now.

New Labour/Old Labour different name, same economic incompetence. Tax, spend, waste, screw it up, lose election, wait for Tories to repair.

Answers:

1) Yes
2)Yes
3)Yes,and yes it was,and no ,we're not.

No economic incompetence,just many years of growth now being undermined by external influences beyond this country's control.

Tory answers typically are to cut services which benefit most people to "reward" people who don't need them,ie rich people.

The tories could not repair anything:it would be a long,long wait.

Remember the debacle that was the economy under the tories,and weep.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
And a good thing to. These builders have been putting up over-priced, poor quality, high-density and inapproiate developments for far to long. Anything that slows down the concreting over of the country is a great thing as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, this will last at least until the conservatives get in and we can get a sensible national housing policy before more damage is done.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
There is an upside to this, although it may not seem so at the moment, that is for people who want to move up the property ladder...the difference between the rungs will narrow, in financial terms, only problem is finding a buyer for your current property.

I can't see much of an upside, when i am facing unemployment :down:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
Sorry to hear that, Tony, that's really tough. Although I haven't been affected yet, I fully expect the slowdown in the economy to impact on small builders like me. It's going to be hard going for a couple of years.

Cheers Steve, hopefully builders like yourself will get by on doing conversion works and the like, ofton when a recession like this happens, many people resort to doing home improvements (conservatorys, extentions ect) rather than moving house, so good decent builders like yourself might even prosper from this, one can only hope mate :thumbsup:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
And a good thing to. These builders have been putting up over-priced, poor quality, high-density and inapproiate developments for far to long. Anything that slows down the concreting over of the country is a great thing as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully, this will last at least until the conservatives get in and we can get a sensible national housing policy before more damage is done.

If i reply to this, i would have to ban myself ! :lolol:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
plenty of work in the UAE, tax free too. Lots of UK staff now flooding the market though so salaries should drop off a little. Relatively tough for families as villa rent increased 180% (45k GBP to rent a decent villa !!!!!) school fees etc etc. Lots of speculators making a quick buck. The crash is going to be effin huge when it comes. Govts still have lots of money and oil though

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Good grief, it is absolutely amazing that the Albion is supported by so many fully qualified macro-economists. The chances of one club being supported by so many people with similar academic/professional backgrounds, even allowing for it being based in a university town, seem remote to me.

Anyway, all, thanks for sharing with me the benefits of your profound and useful insights into the performance of the global economy and its impact on the UK economy and various sectors therein; I will adjust my investments and other financial arrangements accordingly.

Seriously, the music and sport related threads are fun, because ultimately all that matters is opinion. Reading the sort of ill-informed stuff one gets on this sort of thread just depresses (yes, yes, I know - don't read it if you don't like it).

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
If i reply to this, i would have to ban myself ! :lolol:

Go on, I won't complain :D

I hope you get something suitable soon, I know what it is like to be made redundant. Perhaps I didn't put that very tactfully earlier, but there are plenty of people who dislike the construction industry just as others dislike aninal testing, nuclear or defnce industries - just look at the protests over these proposed "eco-towns", Heathrow/Stanstead expansion or any new by-pass.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good luck Tony, I've had 7 redundancies and always found a better job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here