Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I am now seriously thinking about emigrating. But where to?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I live in Greece and the heat makes me ill. 40 degrees is great for a couple of weeks a year when you can go swimming all day and snooze in the aircon. But when you have to work in it or travel in it, it is very draining. And the noise of the cicadas can get on your nerves!

Exactly what the other half and I were saying. We've just come back from two weeks in Kos - great place and the second year running we've been there, but I wouldn't want to live there as great as the weather is - by the end of the second week we were almost looking forward to getting back to the UK for some crap-ish weather. Can't see the attraction of living somewhere where you have to have the aircon on much of the time - at home and in the car.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If you live in Australia you are 7 hours flight away from a different culture... that's the closest you are to a significantly different country (NZ doesn't count).

unless you live in Darwin or Perth Timothy where you are only 1.5 or 4 ours away respectively.......i would bring the island bali to your immediate attention.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
If you live in Australia you are 7 hours flight away from a different culture... that's the closest you are to a significantly different country (NZ doesn't count).

I have an Australian friend who says Aussies feel "out of it" and forgotten about. They are so far from Europe, that they feel like a kind of appendage to the rest of Western society. Do other Aussies feel like that?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we are definitely out on a limb and generally 20-30 years behind ...weather that is good or bad i'm not sure...........the most difficult thing to explain is the deep rising feeling you get in your body as the clouds part and you get your first view of Old Londinium on approach to Heathrow after 5 years away , i still love England it has so many positive aspects , but for my kids sake i'm glad i live here .

If you are seriously considering moving to Gibraltar then things must be really bad. Have you ever been there? An absolute dive. Like Portsmouth but worse.
I admit my suggestion of Gibraltar was flippant; I haven't been there, but I recall somebody on this board describing the centre as 'a bit like Swindon'!
In any case, I foresee the following scenario this decade: Spain introduces massive austerity measures which causes the already high youth unemployment levels to rocket. This leads to mass riots on the streets which the police are unable to control. The army steps in to restore order and imposes martial law but also suspends parliament indefinitely; EEC demands elections, so Spain withdraws. To bolster the regime's popularity, Gibraltar is invaded and annexed. Prime Minister Clegg can do nothing because his party agreed that we will be OK for a few years without an aircraft carrier.
Remember, when this happens, you heard about it first on NSC!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Australia has too many poisonous creatures and water shortages for my liking

:facepalm:

How about the far north of Scotland? They speak a form of English there, there's a sense of community, the educational standards are high and they don't have ferals shitting on their own doorstep. Water shortages are unheard of. Quite the opposite. All that and free prescriptions too :thumbsup:

Hobart would be a lovely place to live.
If I'm going to upsticks then I want it to be somewhere a fair bit warmer and sunnier than Britain, which Tasmania isn't. Anyway, what about those Tasmanian Dragons? I've heard they can kill you!. Melbourne would be warmer but Australia wouldn't take me anyhow so that is out.
And in many countries abroad, your UK State Pension does not rise with inflation. It does not rise at all.
That's a shocking revelation that I'll have to look into much further.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
:facepalm:

How about the far north of Scotland? They speak a form of English there, there's a sense of community, the educational standards are high and they don't have ferals shitting on their own doorstep. Water shortages are unheard of. Quite the opposite. All that and free prescriptions too :thumbsup:
No , they send them to Brighton to sell the big issue.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
we are definitely out on a limb and generally 20-30 years behind ...weather that is good or bad i'm not sure...........the most difficult thing to explain is the deep rising feeling you get in your body as the clouds part and you get your first view of Old Londinium on approach to Heathrow after 5 years away , i still love England it has so many positive aspects , but for my kids sake i'm glad i live here .

What's so wrong in living 20-30 years behind, I was only 30-40 then, could get a job and women. And Murdoch hadn't f**ked up football and a lot of other things yet. One Aussie you should have kept down-under where he belongs.

I must admit when I landed at Sydney Airport for the first and last time 20 years ago, I nearly kissed the tarmac. I so WANTED to see what Oz was like.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Switzerland would be the best choice.

Having lived there for a while, the locals can be very cold, especially I understand on the German-speaking side. Great if you really want privacy which is why so many of the nouveau-riche go there. And the ski-ing of course.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What's so wrong in living 20-30 years behind, I was only 30-40 then, could get a job and women. And Murdoch hadn't f**ked up football and a lot of other things yet. One Aussie you should have kept down-under where he belongs.

I must admit when I landed at Sydney Airport for the first and last time 20 years ago, I nearly kissed the tarmac. I so WANTED to see what Oz was like.

oz is gooD mate but so is England if you've got a job and a woman....!!!

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
India is worth a shout if you have a bit to invest and you're looking at retiring. If not, and if you have a degree, you can live really well teaching efl in Korea/Vietnam/Taiwan/Japan/ even Thailand and China pay ok considering the cost of living. Life's pointless if you stop looking to live more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here