Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I always thought this was a crap MS Windows bug

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
...but apparently not, so I thought I'd share it with NSC.

If you ever find your keyboard has inexplicably switched to US format (the @ key returns " and vice versa etc), then you can resolve this by pressing Alt-Shift.

Apparently Alt-Shift toggles it between UK and US styles.

Hope someone else finds this useful.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Good spot that man ! (Of course this would never happen on a Mac).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you think thats annoying, try using a machine setup for French - half the letters are moved. top tip on Alt+Shift, i'll try that.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So rather than a crap MS Windows 'bug' it's a crap MS Windows 'feature'

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Here's another you may find useful.

Ever had multiple windows open and you want to minimise them all to get to your desktop quickly?

Hold down the left Win button [usually between Ctrl & Alt] and hot the "M" [for minimise] - whoa, see them disappear ....

I've been using Windows since day one (about '93) and only learnt this 6 months ago.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Here's another you may find useful.

Ever had multiple windows open and you want to minimise them all to get to your desktop quickly?

Hold down the left Win button [usually between Ctrl & Alt] and hot the "M" [for minimise] - whoa, see them disappear ....

I've been using Windows since day one (about '93) and only learnt this 6 months ago.

works as long as you dont have any dialogue boxes open

windows key + L locks your computer, Windows key + R gives you a run bar

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Theres a shortcut for almost everything, I spent a month trying not to use a mouse (where possible) and you learn loads, really speeds things up

scooter1

How soon is now?
...but apparently not, so I thought I'd share it with NSC.

If you ever find your keyboard has inexplicably switched to US format (the @ key returns " and vice versa etc), then you can resolve this by pressing Alt-Shift.

Apparently Alt-Shift toggles it between UK and US styles.

Hope someone else finds this useful.

Cheers, thats been pissing me off for months. i'll try it tonight when I get home

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Alt-space then n

I often find myself doing those keystrokes rather quickly, when browsing NSC and spotting the boss strolling over. :thumbsup:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Always the simple things. I spent half a day rebuilding my home PC, primarily because it was running dog slow, but in part because I couldn’t work out how to swap the @ and “ back to their rightful homes. All I had to do was press alt and shift.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here