Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I almost got run over walking to work

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Some prick in a Jeep tried to mow me down as I was crossing a junction. He clearly hadn't read section 146 of the highway code

"watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

:angry: :censored:

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Must have been a very careless driver, if he was any better he would have nailed you! :lolol:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Curious Orange said:
Some prick in a Jeep tried to mow me down as I was crossing a junction. He clearly hadn't read section 146 of the highway code

"watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

I think thats a voluntary rule because I've never had a driver give way to me before.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Curious Orange said:

:wave: oops sorry!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Re: Re: I almost got run over walking to work

Rangdo said:
I think thats a voluntary rule because I've never had a driver give way to me before.

I was already half way across before he started to turn in. The git actually stopped and then gunned his engine before completing the move, only pausing in front of me to give me some verbals (which I can only guess at because his window was closed).

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I got hit by a bus the other week. Right in the back. It didn't hurt at all.
Since then, i've been checking to see if i have x-ray vision or the ability to fly at the speed of light.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I hate it when I'm driving and people walk slowly across the road. Cars should have the right of way unless it is a pedestrian crossing.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Curious Orange said:

Maybe he was indicating long before you stepped off the curb?
In which case common sense says "dont cross" :thumbsup:

Louisjpbacon

Oct 12, 2004
Southampton
Curious Orange said:

Take extra care at junctions. You should watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see
watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 196)
not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely

taken from here

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: I almost got run over walking to work

Louisjpbacon said:
not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn.
That is EXACTLY how I had my very first crash.

Dopey f***ing BITCH in a Fiesta trundling along indicating left, to turn into the road I was pulling out of, or so I assumed. So I glance to my left to check its clear, pull out and smashed into her front wing, wrecking the front of my car and destroying the radiator.

"You stupid cow, you were indicating to turn LEFT" I shouted.
"I WAS going to turn left, at those LIGHTS" she screamed, pointing a boney, manicured finger at a set of traffic lights 100 yards down the road.

Stupid slag. Insurance-wise of course I didn't have a leg to stand on, so bang went my 'no claims'. Wish I'd punched her now.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: Re: I almost got run over walking to work

Easy 10 said:
That is EXACTLY how I had my very first crash.

Dopey f***ing BITCH in a Fiesta trundling along indicating left, to turn into the road I was puling out of, or so I assumed. So I glance to my left to check its clear, pull out and smashed into her front wing, wrecking the front of my car and destroying the radiator.

"You stupid cow, you were indicating to turn LEFT" I shouted.
"I WAS going to turn left, at those LIGHTS" she screamed, pointing a boney, manicured finger at a set of traffic lights 100 yards down the road.

Stupid slag. Insurance-wise of course I didn't have a leg to stand on, so bang went my 'no claims'. Wish I'd punched her now.

you're supposed to indicate no more than 75yards before the turning so you should've won that Easy, if the lights were 100yds away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Re: I almost got run over walking to work

CrabtreeBHA said:
you're supposed to indicate no more than 75yards before the turning so you should've won that Easy, if the lights were 100yds away.
Well I didn't. I lost.
That 75 yards thing might be a recommendation, but the bottom line is, I was pulling out of a side-street into a main road. Indicating or not, she had right of way. I should have waited.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yeah suppose, I was taught by my instructor to always wait for the car to turn even if they are indicating (of course these days I just pull out anyway as my Clio is a nippy little fucker). It was said instructor who told me not to indicate more than 75yds "thats the law"...he could've got it wrong but its always stuck in my mind. (longer indicating on motorways though obviously)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Re: Re: Re: Re: I almost got run over walking to work

CrabtreeBHA said:

Regardless, the highway code still says you shouldn't assume that she was going to turn so insurance wise they would still say Easy shouldn't have pulled out of the junction.

mr turd

Nov 22, 2004
READING
Curious Orange said:

Yeah and,dam how did he miss you :censored:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
On the other hand,Why dont people look before they just walk across the road?.It amazes me how many people just step out and look surprised when a car turns down the road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here