• IN

Votes: 75 13.0%
  • OUT

Votes: 501 87.0%

• Total voters

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
He's lost the players and the fans. Simply has to go. Saturday was awful, no passion from the touchline, no passion in the players and no passion in the crowd (can't blame the crowd for that!)

Him and Jones out ASAP!

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Out. I don't feel like a lemming as I have stated this after the (fecking awful) Rotherham game.

After Kaz got subbed (Hyypia is also an unlucky manager) Scunner Jr and I spent most of the rest of the game trying to work out exactly what the new shape was. We failed, and I am sure the players did too as it didn't seem like they had adapted, or even knew whether they were supposed to have adapted or not. Shamefully, Hyypia reveals in his interview that no adaption was necessary as they were to play in the same way. How can this be the case if nominally we started 4-2-3-1 and then brought on Ince? Gardner wandered around on the right wing for a while whilst the rest of the team tried to sort themselves out.

It is to their credit - and the excellent Colunga - that we did score at all in spite of the headless chicken impression that we were exhibiting.

A while back Sam Allardyce gave an illuminating interview in the Evening Standard where he compared pragmatic managers like him, Pulis, Ferguson and Mourinho with idealists like Wenger and Pellegrini. He said that the latter are always easier to play against as you know exactly what they are going to do as they never change or adapt to the conditions of the game. Hyypia in his interview reveals himself to be of the same mindset idealistic and this was fatal on Saturday. Our position requires pragmatism, without forgetting the systemic ideals of the club.

The nominal 4-2-1-2-1 style hybrid he prefers relies on quick passing, and, bless him, you are not going to get this from Rohan Ince. So once he came on the field (and especially after we scored) the switch should have surely been to a Poyet'esque 4-1-4-1 compressing the play, withdrawing the full backs and closing down space which what Ince is good at. But oh no, 'we are sticking to our style' and hence we were really easy to play against with acres of space at times for Fulham to move around us. Ince looked like a post in the ground - not his fault - and Ruiz and his ilk passed around him with ease.

I also lost count of the number of times any one of our players was caught in possession because none of his team mates were showing for the ball. This is a sure sign of a lack of team spirit and cohesion and something is wrong somewhere when this happens regularly.

It may be that Hyypia is not to blame for a lot of what is wrong, and he can't be faulted for bad luck - the bootlace save from Bent that the keeper knew nothing about - but there was a strategic failure on Saturday as well as the individual ones on the pitch and this, after all that has gone before must precipitate his demise.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Out for me. It feels like its now a matter of time going by the reaction to Hyppia from the players at the end of the game and his post match interview. Bloom's no fool, I think it will be all over after Millwall.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
In for me, well, on the fence for now. That interview was dull but the two issues for me were a) he said they had worked on free-kicks and the players didn't follow their trained routine not only against Fulham but in previous matches. This was clearly obvious to us for weeks now but he must stop it, if he can't then surely he has lost the players and has to go. The second issue was sticking to his plan, this is ridiculous with 10 minutes to go and he has Baldock sitting on the bench. Brighton are not the Man Utd of old, where they can stick to their plan and eventually carve out that win or draw in the dying minutes as we do not have Premier League players.

The main issue for me is the midfield, they are too young and inexperienced as well as lightweight. We need an experienced midfielder in there but whether that is Hyppia, Burke, Barber's or Blooms fault, is anyone's guess!

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Out. I don't feel like a lemming as I have stated this after the (fecking awful) Rotherham game.

After Kaz got subbed (Hyypia is also an unlucky manager) Scunner Jr and I spent most of the rest of the game trying to work out exactly what the new shape was. We failed, and I am sure the players did too as it didn't seem like they had adapted, or even knew whether they were supposed to have adapted or not. Shamefully, Hyypia reveals in his interview that no adaption was necessary as they were to play in the same way. How can this be the case if nominally we started 4-2-3-1 and then brought on Ince? Gardner wandered around on the right wing for a while whilst the rest of the team tried to sort themselves out.

It is to their credit - and the excellent Colunga - that we did score at all in spite of the headless chicken impression that we were exhibiting.

A while back Sam Allardyce gave an illuminating interview in the Evening Standard where he compared pragmatic managers like him, Pulis, Ferguson and Mourinho with idealists like Wenger and Pellegrini. He said that the latter are always easier to play against as you know exactly what they are going to do as they never change or adapt to the conditions of the game. Hyypia in his interview reveals himself to be of the same mindset idealistic and this was fatal on Saturday. Our position requires pragmatism, without forgetting the systemic ideals of the club.

The nominal 4-2-1-2-1 style hybrid he prefers relies on quick passing, and, bless him, you are not going to get this from Rohan Ince. So once he came on the field (and especially after we scored) the switch should have surely been to a Poyet'esque 4-1-4-1 compressing the play, withdrawing the full backs and closing down space which what Ince is good at. But oh no, 'we are sticking to our style' and hence we were really easy to play against with acres of space at times for Fulham to move around us. Ince looked like a post in the ground - not his fault - and Ruiz and his ilk passed around him with ease.

I also lost count of the number of times any one of our players was caught in possession because none of his team mates were showing for the ball. This is a sure sign of a lack of team spirit and cohesion and something is wrong somewhere when this happens regularly.

It may be that Hyypia is not to blame for a lot of what is wrong, and he can't be faulted for bad luck - the bootlace save from Bent that the keeper knew nothing about - but there was a strategic failure on Saturday as well as the individual ones on the pitch and this, after all that has gone before must precipitate his demise.

Agree with this

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In for me, well, on the fence for now. That interview was dull but the two issues for me were a) he said they had worked on free-kicks and the players didn't follow their trained routine not only against Fulham but in previous matches. This was clearly obvious to us for weeks now but he must stop it, if he can't then surely he has lost the players and has to go. The second issue was sticking to his plan, this is ridiculous with 10 minutes to go and he has Baldock sitting on the bench. Brighton are not the Man Utd of old, where they can stick to their plan and eventually carve out that win or draw in the dying minutes as we do not have Premier League players.

You say 'on the fence', then go on to eloquently state valid reasoning for 'out'.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think he should go. We haven't got a bad squad, and at times on Saturday they looked utterly clueless. The free kicks and corners were a joke, what do they do in training?? I think tactically he's naive. As for the substitutions, why bring on Solly and play him on the right? And have Colunga the terrible on the left? Unless it was injury I would have left E Bennett on the right and taken Colunga off for Solly. It's just another poor substitution that didn't work. It's not working with SH and Jones. Try again with someone else.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I think he should go. We haven't got a bad squad, and at time on Saturday they looked utterly clueless. The free kicks and corners were a joke, what do they do in training?? I think tactically he's naive. As for the substitutions, why bring on Solly and play him on the right? And have Colunga the terrible on the left? Unless it was injury I would have left E Bennett on the right and taken Colunga off for Solly. It's just another poor substitution that do don't work. It's not working with SH and Jones. Try again with someone else.

I don't get this at all. Colunga was - up to the red card - one of our best performers on Saturday. How, after two defence splitting passes and great movement all game, you can say he was terrible is truly beyond my comprehension...

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I don't get this at all. Colunga was - up to the red card - one of our best performers on Saturday. How, after two defence splitting passes and great movement all game, you can say he was terrible is truly beyond my comprehension...

I watched him very closely, by and large his passing was poor, yes 2 defence splitters and thats great. Very little tracking back, his runs are poorly timed or he fails to make the run at all. There was a prime example, in the 1st half when he chested down on the break, then played a nice ball to Bruno. Bruno was only ever going to cross it, Colunga stopped running and the ball flashed across the box with no one there. Also in the last 20 minutes almost every ball he had was given away. He's lightweight and gets muscled out too easily. Those are my thoughts on Colunga. But this Thread is about the manager , and for me, its over. He needs to go imo.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
You say 'on the fence', then go on to eloquently state valid reasoning for 'out'.

I know and those are two of the reasons I could see him going but I would like to see him sort out the free-kick situation and having a plan b and then give him more time. If this can happen and Bent stays longer than a month and a decent midfielder come's in, in January, I would be on the in side.. Otherwise, I will fall off that fence on the out side...

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Albion staff :wink:

I am happy to state I say "In".
The revolving door of managers (and players) has contributed to our current state.
We need stability although I cannot argue that we should not be in the current position with the team we have.
I don't blame Hyppia but do feel he is taking all the blame which needs to be shared with Bloom, Barber and Burke.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Good post.

I said exactly the same to my Junior. I was expecting Baldock to come on for KLL the way we'd started. When it was Ince we reckoned he'd have to go tighter but it never happened. Add to that Kit Symons having the wit and flexibility to know that if they pressed the full backs there would be a ton of empty space to operate in in the midfield and you have why we were so poor in the second half despite being the better side in the first and taking the lead.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Like a really indecisive person, I'm not sure. I was in, then out, now back to in... I think.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Might do some polling at Derby this weekend - see if it is any different with a slightly different demographic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here