Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypocrisy

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hands up then. So how many of the people moaning about DK's "ineptitude"/our lack of options for a decent manager/the vastly increased prospect of relegation were also the ones hounding out an experienced boss who'd just brought in a clutch of players to turn round the season?

The vocal minority are getting what they deserve now for the most ludicrously negative atmosphere I can remember in 30 years watching the Albion. As far as I can see, the only thing DK has done wrong (as with McGhee) is to cave in too early to the moaners.

Last edited:

Hands up then. So how many of the people moaning about DK's "ineptitude"/our lack of options for a decent manager/the vastly increased prospect of relegation were also the ones hounding out an experienced boss who'd just brought in a clutch of players to turn round the season?

The vocal minority are getting what they deserve now for the most ludicrously negative atmosphere I can remember in 30 years watching the Albion. As far as I can see, the only thing DK has done wrong (as with McGhee) is to cave in too early to the moaners.

Funny how you don't mention DK's sacking of a perfectly good up and coming manager that had absolutely nothing to do with the fans or the "moaners". If that hadn't happened we wouldn't be in this mess so DK only has himself to blame.

I agree to a degree. I wanted MA out, but have not yet castigated Knight. I'm not really sure what people expect; the vacancy was announced on Saturday, DK drew up a shortlist and conducted interviews on Wednesday and Thursday (only 4/5 days after the position became vacant), and offered the job on Thursday. Because he's now been turned down, and the fans aren't aware whether there are backups or who they are, people are complaining. Be reasonable. How quickly do you expect a major appointment like this to take?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

Bollocks - It wasn't a vocal minority it was a majority of the fans.Adams was a liability and we should have sacked him earlier.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Funny how you don't mention DK's sacking of a perfectly good up and coming manager that had absolutely nothing to do with the fans or the "moaners". If that hadn't happened we wouldn't be in this mess so DK only has himself to blame.

But it was pretty clear in the latter half of last season that there were problems within the camp between the manager and players. People conveniently forget pitiful performances against Port Vale and Southend after which there were very well sources rumours that the players were pretty much in open revolt. There may even have been question marks about how much that upcoming manager was enjoying the role. If he was as brilliant as some suggest, how come he's not been snapped up elsewhere? Possibly not rated. Possibly doesn't have the appetite to be a manager and would prefer a back room role? I don't know, but given his personality, it wouldn't be hard to conclude that he would prefer a position out of the limelight where he can put his seemingly considerable coaching skills to best use.

No axe to grind with DW at all, but I think his spell in charge was over-rated. If we truly were real play off contenders playing great football, why were crowds plummeting? MA should have been given until the end of the season, and the start of the next campaign to show that 'his' team could cut it. Whoever comes in probably will keep us up, because the chances are we would have stayed up anyway now the new signings are starting to bed in.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Was he sacked because the fans weren't happy?

Or was he sacked because the Blooms decided the time had come?

Quite right of course.
Ultimately the fans don't have a role when it comes to management of the club and Withdean appeared less vocal on the matter than NSC (which counts even less!).
The decision will be made when it is made - that part of the process has been played out in public is NOT down to DK but to Stockport's board.

Meanwhile the players will take refreshingly little notice and will get on with playing football and winning tomorrow - and THAT would be a result that could really give the Adams out crowd pause to consider what they wished for if it leads to the current caretaker team being given the go ahead to stay in charge until the end of the season!:ascarf:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The Blooms will be swayed too by the atmosphere surrounding the matches. As are the players and everybody involved. The negativity harms confidence and gives players an excuse once they can sense the tide is turning against the manager.

As for it being a majority of fans - well, I don't know one who believed unequivocally that we'd be better off without Adams. That may be the consensus in a couple of blocks of the South Stand or among the noisier travelling fans, but that doesn't constitute a majority. My experience of it is undoubtedly swayed by the fact that the fans I know have been around a long time, and take the view that it takes a bit of time to improve a team. Experience shows that chopping and changing bosses is rarely helpful for long term progress.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But it was pretty clear in the latter half of last season that there were problems within the camp between the manager and players. People conveniently forget pitiful performances against Port Vale and Southend after which there were very well sources rumours that the players were pretty much in open revolt. There may even have been question marks about how much that upcoming manager was enjoying the role. If he was as brilliant as some suggest, how come he's not been snapped up elsewhere? Possibly not rated. Possibly doesn't have the appetite to be a manager and would prefer a back room role? I don't know, but given his personality, it wouldn't be hard to conclude that he would prefer a position out of the limelight where he can put his seemingly considerable coaching skills to best use.

No axe to grind with DW at all, but I think his spell in charge was over-rated. If we truly were real play off contenders playing great football, why were crowds plummeting? MA should have been given until the end of the season, and the start of the next campaign to show that 'his' team could cut it. Whoever comes in probably will keep us up, because the chances are we would have stayed up anyway now the new signings are starting to bed in.

Remember all those rumours that he wasn't actually there for much of the end of last season? The improvement in form that got us up to 7th may well be down to White and Booker as much or more than Dean Wilkins. If so I wonder if it would change peoples' views on our current circumstances?

But it was pretty clear in the latter half of last season that there were problems within the camp between the manager and players.

Why do people insist on trying to rubbish DW's achievements? All these rumours and stories are bollocks. What were the problems if they were so "clear" because I didn't see them. And if they did exist they didn't stop DW from getting results with the team so quite frankly who cares? The only significant dip in results came over the January transfer window when the players were negotiating contracts and got upset with the way DK handled the process.

There may even have been question marks about how much that upcoming manager was enjoying the role.

Oh do f*** off. Pathetic. You sound like Naylor.

Possibly doesn't have the appetite to be a manager

Yes, yes that's why he was sacked. Not enough APPETITE.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have only ever wanted two managers out in 30 years of supporting the Albion, one was Jeff Wood and the other was Micky Adams this time around, my hand is up and I still believe he absolutely had to go, he was a complete disaster.

I am happy for DK to take his time finding the right man and if that leaves Booker and White in charge whilst he does it, I don't have a problem with that as I believe we were almost certain to go down with MA in charge anyway.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What were the problems if they were so "clear" because I didn't see them.

Well, I heard the team were in revolt at half time during the pathetic performance at Southend over the dreaded 'diamond', with one prominent player saying he wanted to leave.

Oh do f*** off. Pathetic. You sound like Naylor

Constructive. I guess you practice that on our managers on Saturday afternoon. And if I sound like Naylor, well, maybe that's because he takes a slightly more considered view, and gets a lot more inside info than the average NSC'er, which is bound to colour his opinions.

Yes, yes that's why he was sacked. Not enough APPETITE.

I was clearly referring to his appetite for management generally. It would be interesting to know whether he has applied for other jobs, or whether he would rather work in a coaching/development role, because certain important aspects of front line management (such as dealing with the media) do not sit comfortably with his personality. It's not a criticism. Not everybody wants to be a leader.

"So Micky, you want the Albion job back?"
"sure I do, I'll have that!"
"well, you have had a rough time, but we welcome you back here, as a legend"
"I'll take it thanks, I feel I can achieve results here"
"the fans still love you, and we have a squad of players who managed 7th last season, I think they could have even done better"
"not a bad start Dick, a group of players who made upper mid-table, I can manage them and I will add some more players"
"we'll help you with that, with scouting we'll pick up some talent you'll need"
"great"
"can you take us forward Micky?"
"With bells on, and in spades"

(some 6 months on into the future)

"we are leaking goals, with money spent the tactics are still poor - wtf is going on Micky?"
"I need more time, for the players to settle in"
"you STARTED with a decent team ffs, all we spoke about was improving on that!"
"they were not my players, I needed to build my own squad"
"why?? You couldn't make something with a group of home-grown talent who were playing well under Dean Wilkins?"
"Er...they need to play to my style"
"what...players like Nicky Forster suddenly don't know how to adapt to your tactics?"
"er..... seems that way"
"your tactics are the same every week, we are losing even the easy games"
"are you upset?"
"damn right - we keep encouraging kids and families to become Albion - and you are encouraging them to support Chelsea and United. We'll lose millions"
"they are fickle"
"we will have trouble selling one season ticket if we go down like this"
"I'll do well in the 4th Division, it's my favourite level"
"you can f*** RIGHT off"
"oh...right...... cheerio then"
"don't let the closing door hit you on the arse"

Not soon enough, and I hold my hand way way up. :wave:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hands up then. So how many of the people moaning about DK's "ineptitude"/our lack of options for a decent manager/the vastly increased prospect of relegation

a) On Tuesday morning the Argus quote DK saying he'd had 30 applicants, on Tuesday night DK told Harty that had increased to 40, yesterday Knight was quoted in the argus as having had 50 applicants. Hardly a lack of options. DK picked one, he said no. We have 49+ others to pick from.

b) Since MA has gone we've gained 4points out of 6, and have taken the gap from safety down from 2 points to one, with more teams considered to be in danger than there was two weeks ago. How on earth can you describe that as "vastly increased prospect of relegation".

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Since MA has gone we've gained 4points out of 6, and have taken the gap from safety down from 2 points to one, with more teams considered to be in danger than there was two weeks ago. How on earth can you describe that as "vastly increased prospect of relegation".

Well, for one thing, the way the team was set up for Millwall was exactly what they'd been working on all week, as MA's sacking came too late to make any difference. Dean White admitted as much afterwards.

So there's every likelihood Albion would have managed that win with MA in charge, and a point at home to Northampton hardly looks unachievable either. The team is getting better because the new players are settling in, and that would have been the same with the man who signed them in the chair. The last thing they probably need now is more disruption.

As it happens, whoever comes in will probably keep us up - because we'd have stayed up anyway, as the new players take effect and the likes of Murray return from injury.

But it was pretty clear in the latter half of last season that there were problems within the camp between the manager and players. Really? How did you notice that? I didn't - and yet it was so "clear" People conveniently forget pitiful performances against Port Vale and Southend We magnificently beat Southend 3-2 at Withdean in the final seconds. D'ya think they may have wanted to stop us at their place, perhaps still a bit sore? after which there were very well sources rumours that the players were pretty much in open revolt. Rumours that didn't manifest bad results on the field There may even have been question marks about how much that upcoming manager was enjoying the role. If he was as brilliant as some suggest, how come he's not been snapped up elsewhere? Possibly not rated. Possibly somewhat disgusted in the way his profession went for him? Shock sacking after finishing 7th and bleeding the stripes for 2 decades? How would you feel if your 'profession' kicked you right in the teeth like that?

If I were him I think I'd change my profession after that, maybe work on my stocks and property portfolio at home. The shock of what football management had given me first time out, would take some recovering from :shrug:

Good luck to Dean W, with whatever venture he may turn his hands to next - I for one look with regret for the way that last went. :nono:

Well, for one thing, the way the team was set up for Millwall was exactly what they'd been working on all week, as MA's sacking came too late to make any difference. Dean White admitted as much afterwards.

So there's every likelihood Albion would have managed that win with MA in charge, and a point at home to Northampton hardly looks unachievable either. The team is getting better because the new players are settling in, and that would have been the same with the man who signed them in the chair. The last thing they probably need now is more disruption.

As it happens, whoever comes in will probably keep us up - because we'd have stayed up anyway, as the new players take effect and the likes of Murray return from injury.

With that logic - how come whoever came in after Wilkins probably would have taken us down??

Rose tinteds for Adams, is an understatement.
Your thread title is absolutely spot ON! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here